Crown Questions

cruiseing girl

:) My family and I are leaving on the Crown this Sunday Oct. 9th. I have a few questions.

1. Do the 2 way radios work so I can keep in touch.

2.Door decorations it is a metal door? Any ideas ?

3. Towels- should I bring my own for the pool and beaches?

4. Can I request a robe ?

5. Do we need water shoes for the beaches?

6. If I buy my kids a soda card, do they get a separate card from mine, so like if they are with there cousins they will be able to get a soda.

7. Any beer specials for coors light? Or should I smuggle it on?

Doors on every ship I've cruised have been metal--probably a fire code.

You can sign out towels for use at the beach.

We brought water shoes but never wore them at John Smith's Bay beach on the south shore. No need--the beach was beautifully clean and the sand very fine and soft.

We splurged on a small suite on Majesty, and robes came with it. We never wore them. There were no robes in our oceanview cabin on Dream in May, and we didn't request any. Seems to me I've read here about people asking their steward for robes and getting them. Worth an appropriate tip if they come through for you, I'd say.

Can't speak to your other questions.

The steel structure of the ship will block radio waves. Unless you're using the same frequencies as the ship, which I doubt, you wouldn't be able to use their repeaters.

Why decorate the door? Other passengers swaying down the corridor will probably knock them off, and will be silently cursing you as the sway away.

No need to. NCL provides these, both aboard and ashore. Note: you'll have to sign for those you take ashore, they will be of a different color than the ship's, and you'd be paying for any towels that get lost.

Yes you can. It's worth a huge tip if the steward arrives with one.

Nope.

6. If I buy my kids a soda card, do they get a separate card from mine, so like if they are with there cousins they will be able to get a soda.

The actually don't get a card. They get a bracelet.

There's the same beer special fleet wide. Lease a $3 bucket, buy 6 beers, only pay for 5. I'm not sure if Coor's Light is carried on board. :cool:

As for cellular phones, you'd be paying International fees, which is very expensive. I suggest leaving your cell phones at home, or only using it near your home port.

:) My family and I are leaving on the Crown this Sunday Oct. 9th. I have a few questions.

I was on the Crown in July. Yes the regular two way radios work NOT Nextel. We saw a few door decorations but they were taped. No need for towels, just sign them out and bring them back on. You dont NEED water shoes but I always use them, never know what your going to step on :eek: Kids get soda bands for their wrist and are unable to share with anyone else. You will get a sticker for your card to show. We were in an outside cabin E and had robes in the cabin when we arrived.

We are also leaving this Sunday (Oct 9th) on the Crown. Can anyone tell me what is the earliest time to arrive at the pier. We have about a 3 hour drive, don't want to be too early but I want to get there as early as possible. Also my brother is driving us down. I have never been at that pier before, is there any information that would be helpful? Thanks so much!

They started to let us on in NY about 11:30 I believe. Dont know about the Philly times.

They have a clip on the cabin door that might hold something.

I had down the hallway someone who had cards and papers taped on the door.

It stayed up all week. Of coures he was asking for trouble and it didnt come.

The card said basically " looking for a woman who could cook clean.... and whats your cabin number"

written on it. It was funny.

as far as water shoes.

Ive always said no to this.

After the last visit... Tabacco Bay and the snorkel park in dockyard I will wear them.

Tabacco bay does have some glass on the little beach which was never there in the past.

Snorkel park is fine except it has coral and rocks on the bottom. It was pretty hard to walk on it even with my tough feet.

They have plenty or towels. When you take them to the beach you do put a deposit down on them.

They have helmets of beer. You can get a helmet that holds 6 coors lites for about $18. The deal is buy 5 get the 6th free.

They are in a bottle and nice and cold.

side note.

My bed was hard. I asked for a foam pad and they didnt have any.

So I asked for 2 extra blankets and put them under the comforter. It was alittle better then.

Id bring a small fleece blanket or two in case you need them just in case.

They started to let us on in NY about 11:30 I believe. Dont know about the Philly times.

They have a clip on the cabin door that might hold something.

I had down the hallway someone who had cards and papers taped on the door.

It stayed up all week. Of coures he was asking for trouble and it didnt come.

The card said basically " looking for a woman who could cook clean.... and whats your cabin number"

written on it. It was funny.

as far as water shoes.

Ive always said no to this.

After the last visit... Tabacco Bay and the snorkel park in dockyard I will wear them.

Tabacco bay does have some glass on the little beach which was never there in the past.

Snorkel park is fine except it has coral and rocks on the bottom. It was pretty hard to walk on it even with my tough feet.

They have plenty or towels. When you take them to the beach you do put a deposit down on them.

They have helmets of beer. You can get a helmet that holds 6 coors lites for about $18. The deal is buy 5 get the 6th free.

They are in a bottle and nice and cold.

side note.

My bed was hard. I asked for a foam pad and they didnt have any.

So I asked for 2 extra blankets and put them under the comforter. It was alittle better then.

Id bring a small fleece blanket or two in case you need them just in case.

Happy 'sails' to you... until we meet again... Sorry, that old western song with 'trails' in it popped into my brain. Just wanted to post this site for all going, I'm assuming Bermuda is the destination, and one of my favorites! Found these great pics. http://www.AlisaAllan.fotki.com

Give my regards to Bermuda and hope everyone has a great time.

Happy 'sails' to you... until we meet again... Sorry, that old western song with 'trails' in it popped into my brain. Just wanted to post this site for all going, I'm assuming Bermuda is the destination, and one of my favorites! Found these great pics. http://www.AlisaAllan.fotki.com

Give my regards to Bermuda and hope everyone has a great time.

Thanks, yes Bermuda is the desintation! My favorite island by a long shot! Thanks for the pictures, I will share them with my husband who has never been there.

We sail on 23 Oct and the paperwork says 1:00 PM :) to board

yes, that's what mine say as well. I thought I saw on previous threads that you can get on a little early sometimes. I like to be on the early side. I am going to shoot to get there about noon. I'll let you know afterward how that works out.

The steel structure of the ship will block radio waves. Unless you're using the same frequencies as the ship, which I doubt, you wouldn't be able to use their repeaters.

Why decorate the door? Other passengers swaying down the corridor will probably knock them off, and will be silently cursing you as the sway away.

As for cellular phones, you'd be paying International fees, which is very expensive. I suggest leaving your cell phones at home, or only using it near your home port.

Disagree with this answer regarding two way radios! They do work as we have taken ours on several cruises & used them...I also e-mailed Cobra in Oct. of 2004 & their answer to me was: "Our two way radios work on cruise ships & several of the Cruise Lines are now renting two way radios for their Passengers use" When my husband remembered to turn his radio on, we were very careful not to speak too loudly & had only very brief conversations so as not to disturb other passengers!..

We never use our cell phone on board, but several months ago (on this board) a passenger complained that she received a $500 cell phone bill, because it was the NCL tower that she was using the entire time (on the West Coast) ..You might try to find that thread: If not perhaps "shoreguy" will remember it..

As far as decorating a door: Aren't the doors on the "Crown" recessed? Have never seen another passenger lurch or sway into a door & knock off a decoration that was small & flat..We plan to use a magnetic sign for our CC Roll Call meet & greet on the "Crown" in Nov...If the doors are not metal, will use the poster tack (AKA Glue Tack- can be purchased in Staples) that does not ruin paint finishes etc..

Have a wonderful time & please let us know how your cruise went..

Betty

Can't wait for ours..Only one month from today..:)

Most times you can get on early. Depends if the ships late getting in, customs, etc. I always plan for around noon and find most times there's already a ship full of people laying out by the pool!

Thank you, I'll keep our plans to get there by noon... can't believe it is only 3 days away!!!

Yes, you can have door decorations. I was on the Crown last spring, and there were newlyweds with wedding bells on their door. Nobody knocked the display off.

And yes, you DO need aqua sock (water shoes).. particularly if you go to tobacco bay (there are broken beer bottles in the water) and the Snorkel Park (very, very rocky and hard on your feet-- but a MUST DO!)

An after thought

The Crown has real keys for the cabin doors not the normal seapass.

Pockets, fanny packs or laynard for the kids if they are old enough to be going to the cabin alone

Thank you, that is good information to have. I don't remember the last time I was given a "real key" for any door!! I never even gave that a thought!

You get somewhat used to carrying it after awhile.

The annoying part is that you a have to use the key to lock the door.

now this is a really stupid question, is it just a key or does it come on a keyring? If not, should I bring something to attach it to? My husband has the worst luck with loosing things and I can see this as a constant problem.

The key is attached to a card, and it will be left in your room (your room is left opened when you first go in). You also get the pass card to charge your expenses to. Yes, no dead bolt so you have to use the key to lock the door.

The "key" is actually a card....very similar to a credit card.

Don't believe this is correct as the The Crown is an older ship, & believe the poster above said you do not use your card to open it's doors...

It seems to me he is saying that the "Crown" has a real Key (like your car or home door keys) in addition to your seapass credit card....Will someone who has been on the ship please clarify this..

Another poster had suggested the following: Go to "Staples" & get a retractable clip on lanyard to put our seapasses on..I purchased 5 for $11.00 & change yesterday..They also have 2 for $7 & change.. Can we also put our room keys on the same lanyard..The retractable line is about 36 inches in length..This can be clipped anywhere instead of having it hang around your neck or lost in your pockets..

Enjoy your cruises all..

Just got back from the Crown. They have regular metal keys that you have to use to open and lock the door.

You also have the sign and sail cards to buy anything and to use getting on and off the ship.

Archived