12/13 to 12/20 Getaway Western Caribe Review and Info

KevP

Currently onboard the Getaway Western Carribean itinerary. Wife and I are early 40's no kids and cruise once a year. Last three years we have cruised Celebrity S class ships (Reflection, Eclispe and Silhouette). We last did NCL in 2007 (Majesty) and Spirit (2008).

Just going to post what I think is relevant info that may help future cruisers and try to confirm some of the tips and tricks learned on cruisecritic.

We booked a mini suite gty and were assigned a family mini suite on deck 12 mid. While we love the location being quite close to the forward elevators we booked a mini suite for the larger bathroom and nice shower. We ended up with a tub. Oh well those are the breaks booking gty. We also have a very loud child next door. We did try to call NCL when we got this cabin assignment as they wanted $1200 additional to move us. Again we booked a gty so take what you can get but I would hope with today's computer systems they could understand why a couple with no kids wouldn't love this room assignment in the family area.

Initial impression of the ship is that it is very nice overall. Stateroom was fine. Plenty of storage. Wish the TV was bigger like the S class ships but fine. We don't watch it much anyway. As everyone already should know the balcony is small. It is actually smaller than I expected. One thing we like on celebrity is ordering off the main dining room menu and having it delivered to the room to eat on the balcony. Not going to happen on this ship.

More to follow. Enjoying some beautiful weather on the Great Stirrip Cay beach right now. Will try to answer any questions if you ask.

We had a great day on Great Stirrup Cay

We waited a bit to tender and it was a very smooth process. Per recommendation from here we took the tram to Lagoon beach. The tram is a hard left off the tender and you go right past the building for return tenders. It isn't marked well. LAGOON SIDE is the way to go. There are small beaches on the ocean plus the lagoon. Even at this late hour around noon we grabbed two chairs and put them under palm trees. Just a few around us. Getaway was the only ship today.

Food was basic as I am sure you have read. Drink service was non existent unless you went to the bar (same place as food). We thought the bar was open until 2. I walked up at 1:45 and was told they were closed. I asked if they were supposed to be open until 2pm and I was told to walk to the bar "down there". I asked if that was about a 15min walk. He said with attitude "bar closed". Real nice.

We walked back and it is a nice place. Many chairs you could tuck under trees or go for full sun. Minus a little attitude a great day.

Sitting in Vibe staring at Ocho Rios nearing sail away. The cruise has been great overall and it was a real nice day in Jamaica.

I will cover our Vibe experience. First getting passes. We got to the port earlier than expected at 9:10am. We reported to terminal 3. There was a small waiting area with chairs on the side. Approx 30 of them. We were the first to not get chairs. Very few came in over the next 45 min or so. I think you are fine getting there by 9:45am if you want almost guaranteed group one. Also remember week before XMas probably isn't full. So may be different next cruise. Security opened around 9:45 and we were upstairs by 10am with group 1. Wait by the sign that says "boarding begins here". It is not marked above but that is where they board from. 11am they boarded special needs and then group 1. We followed special needs up the gangway and then straight to guest relations on deck 6

We were the second couple there.

We went straight to Vibe. We heard from another couple around noon that they were told there are 10 spots left. So passes last just over an hour from boarding.

Vibe is very cool. Nice to have a place to go. Chairs always available. Easy bar access.

Our cruise it is not a party. There is no music. Always a few at the bar and people scattered about.

The paperwork says it closes at 7. They are closing at 6pm. You can come in until

11pm and using the hottubs is awesome. Especially after you see what the main pool hottubs look like in the evenings. Spice may be better but we never get back there.

We love not having to get up early to have a place to go. Love not competing with the chair hogs

They do not really deliver drinks to you. Seen it a couple of times

Nice that towels are readily available and you don't need to do the exchange in the main area.

Ok. Back to the bar

Getting drink on this cruise has been no issue as long as you are willing to Goto the bar