Which would you pick? Seattle Clipper or Amtrak

leennp

Thanks for those of you who have nicely answered my previous questions on the alaskan cruise I am taking my mother on! After talking to her, she would really like to have the first afternoon in Seattle, so given a seattle arrival, which direction would you go from there, the seattle clipper to Vancouver, or the Amtrak train to Vancouver? I will just figure out the rest of the itinerary from there. She does enjoy beautiful scenery… so I think she would prefer the one with the best scenery, ferry or train?

Thanks for those of you who have nicely answered my previous questions on the alaskan cruise I am taking my mother on! After talking to her, she would really like to have the first afternoon in Seattle, so given a seattle arrival, which direction would you go from there, the seattle clipper to Vancouver, or the Amtrak train to Vancouver? I will just figure out the rest of the itinerary from there. She does enjoy beautiful scenery… so I think she would prefer the one with the best scenery, ferry or train?

I think that you will find that the Seattle Clipper runs between Seattle and Victoria, but not to Vancouver. Someone will correct me if this is wrong :)

...VTX-Al

Yes I do know the Clipper runs between Seattle and Victoria and not Vancouver. If we did the clipper we would do the clipper to victoria then proceed to Vancouver after Victoria. If we did the Amtrak, we would go to Vancouver first, then Victoria after Cruise and fly home. So just looking at which option ads the more scenic journey

If you're only worried about the scenery, then even though I've never taken the Clipper it's easy to confirm you'll get more of the same stuff and some extra stuff going by sea so it's a no-brainer that you should take the Clipper if the view is your only criterion.

By Clippering, you'll also have to get between Victoria and Vancouver - whether you take a floatplane or a ferry, you'll have even more scenic viewing time.

The reason I don't make the trip this way is very simple - cost and time far outweigh the extra scenery for me. It's a heckuvalot longer and more footery to organize since you have to synchronize two boats or a boat and a plane, plus transport between ports (whether air or water) so a raft of other choices now present themselves (rent a car? take Pacific Coach? take Transit bus & Skytrain? spend the extra for a floatplane - but what if my luggage is overweight as the limits are really tight? etc. etc. etc.)

Train OTOH offer a good amount of scenic views, a fairly efficient transit time (bonus - quick and easy immigration/customs at Vancouver Pacific Central station) and downtown-to-downtown convenience.

The Clipper to Victoria cruise is just gorgeous! I have done both, and if I had the time, I would always choose the Clipper. Another suggestion to get you from Victoria to Vancouver would be on the ferry that leaves from Swartz Bay. You would have to do a little research on how to get from the terminus to the city as the ferry terminates in Tsawwassen, which is quite a bit south of Vancouver. The ferry ride is stunning. I want to go again!