Which West Coast/Mexican port would you skip if you wanted a day at the pool?

If you like snorkeling, Cabo is your best bet of the three.

Mazatlan can be skipped. Better yet, take the tram from the ship to the shopping area at the entrance to the pier. Spend an hour there and you've pretty much seen the shopping options in Mazatlan.

I tend to agree with Fitzla - Cabo was last on my list also. We tried to snorkle at lovers beach, but it was way too rough, and couldn't see much anyway (not the same as snorkeling in the Caribbean). Kids definately should not try! Was told the beach area was nice, we didn't have time to check it out.

Puerto Vallarta was by far my favorite (altho my camera was lost/stolen there!), Mazatlan coming in second. But everyone is different, you may like Cabo (no shopping there that I saw).

TEHO (to each his own)...;)

Don't miss ports, they are interesting and fun.....you don't have to stay all day, but get off the boat and see a little of someone else's culture.

I remember going to Roatan and having the best port day of our whole cruise and finding out later that most people never got off the ship because they heard that Roatan was "too poor", "too dirty", "too much trouble to get anywhere good", etc. I feel bad for those people going all the way to Roatan and not experiencing the coolest island ever!

I would skip Cabo. It is very hot and dry, and way to Americanized. Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan were my favorite, in that order. I would like Mazatlan more if my camera didn't get stolen.

"Puerto Vallarta was by far my favorite (altho my camera was lost/stolen there!), Mazatlan coming in second. But everyone is different, you may like Cabo (no shopping there that I saw)."

Ok what gives? Is there a camera stealing ring in the Mexican Riviera? LOL

I picked Mazatlan as I think we went through the dirtiest, smelliest areas on our excursion (OK, yes it was Randi's). Dodging all the pelican poop and fish guts was not enjoyable. I wasn't crazy about that excursion - too many people- and waited 2 hours at Victor's for lunch after the ride as there were too many people for the one chef to handle. All in all, 3 hours were spent at Victor's alone, so not much else of Mazatlan was seen. This is not a slight on Randi; she is a great person. The tour was overbooked, though. That being said, I don't think I would stay on the ship if we went there again. I would like to see parts that I missed!

Had our pack stolen in Cabo - gosh, there is a trend here with people getting ripped off! Enjoyed kayaking out to Lover's Beach.

I picked Mazatlan as I think we went through the dirtiest, smelliest areas on our excursion (OK, yes it was Randi's). Dodging all the pelican poop and fish guts was not enjoyable. I wasn't crazy about that excursion - too many people- and waited 2 hours at Victor's for lunch after the ride as there were too many people for the one chef to handle. All in all, 3 hours were spent at Victor's alone, so not much else of Mazatlan was seen. This is not a slight on Randi; she is a great person. The tour was overbooked, though. That being said, I don't think I would stay on the ship if we went there again. I would like to see parts that I missed!

Had our pack stolen in Cabo - gosh, there is a trend here with people getting ripped off! Enjoyed kayaking out to Lover's Beach.

If you missed the 'Strand" part of Mazatlan (I forgot what it was called) where are the resorts are, that is the best part. Lots of great places to eat while gazing out to the sea, better shopping there, and didn't feel like the rest of Mazatlan. The drive there is beautiful as well. On one of those little golf cart like cabs.

As far as the "Theme" of all of us getting something stolen, unfortunatley, anytime you go somewhere with more poverty than normal, it is bound to happen. Don't let that detour you from going. The way I look at it is that someone must have needed that camera more than I did. I could really care less about the camera, it was just the entire day of film I lost. I still prefer film cameras, but now I have 1 of each. I take my film camera for the more scenic shots, and the digital for everything else. And then I upload the pics to my laptop everynight so if the digital gets stolen, I still have my pics.

Archived