Can you carry on all of your luggage on the Dawn?

pdxmichelle

I am a bit paranoid about luggage and am wondering if you can carry on your luggage instead of giving it to porters? I just hate waiting for it to show up by your door.

I don't know if you can. Depends on how much and how strong you are :D

If you want to try you may. Keep in mind your bags must be able to fit through the scanner like those found in an airport.

If you pack light, it might be possible although if your bags don't fit through the security detectors you might have a problem. Once onboard, however, struggling to maneuver yourself and your bags through narrow corridors to your stateroom when hundreds of other passengers are boarding could be tricky, even quite difficult. I'd suggest that you pack some things in your carryon that will get you through the first few hours until your luggage arrives and leave the rest of it to the porters. Worrying about when your luggage will arrive (it will, you know) won't get it there any faster and you could be out and about the ship enjoying its many features instead of waiting for your bags.

Two weeks ago, we took the Weehawken ferry and walked to the Dawn pulling our luggage. We each had one large wheeled bag and a small carry on. When we arrived at the pier, security made us check the large bag. It's a security thing. The large bag would have not fit through the machine in the passenger terminal. We checked the bag a little before 2 and it was in our cabin and unpacked before the muster drill.

We were able to wheel the bag off with express disembarkation.

When I asked a security agent this question last year, I was told that luggage small enough to be carried aboard a plane can also be carried aboard the ship. If bags have to be checked at the airport because they won't fit in a plane's overhead bin, I let the porters at the pier take them. If they're properly labeled with the luggage tags NCL provides, large bags are best left with the porters at check-in.

Archived