Private tours for Norwegian Fjords ports

bobalink

We are going to visit the ports listed below and was wondering which private tour companies other CC members have used.

What tours did you choose and what are some "not to be missed" sites for these ports?

Kristiansand

Stavanger

Flam

Bergen

Hellesylt

Geiranger

Alesund

Eidfjord

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Bobbie

For the "best of," your best bet is searching the forum for each of the ports, as there are lots of past discussions (and traffic around here is generally slow around this time of year).

For private tours, you'll find that almost everyone (who isn't on a ship's tour) does the Norwegian ports as DIY. With the incredibly high cost of labor, there are generally not a lot of private guided tour options. A lot of activities like the train in Flåm or the Lysefjord cruise in Stavanger can be done on your own directly with the operators, and most of the ports are fairly easy to get around on your own. Again, just search for some of the past threads, and you'll find tons of information!

For the "best of," your best bet is searching the forum for each of the ports, as there are lots of past discussions (and traffic around here is generally slow around this time of year).

For private tours, you'll find that almost everyone (who isn't on a ship's tour) does the Norwegian ports as DIY. With the incredibly high cost of labor, there are generally not a lot of private guided tour options. A lot of activities like the train in Flåm or the Lysefjord cruise in Stavanger can be done on your own directly with the operators, and most of the ports are fairly easy to get around on your own. Again, just search for some of the past threads, and you'll find tons of information!

Thanks so much for your response, I really appreciate it. It's encouraging to hear that DIY and getting around most of the ports is fairly easy. This area will be new to us.

I will try searching these threads some more. I have not found the Search Function on this website to be very helpful.

Merry Christmas to you!

We are going to visit the ports listed below and was wondering which private tour companies other CC members have used.

What tours did you choose and what are some "not to be missed" sites for these ports?

Kristiansand

Stavanger

Flam

Bergen

Hellesylt

Geiranger

Alesund

Eidfjord

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Bobbie

Bobbie - You will find lots of information etc in my thread.

Link i signature.

:)

Geiranger has a tourist kiosk at the dock. You can buy the ho-ho tickets there. A competing service had a kiosk across the road from the tourist kiosk. The bus takes you to one view point for a stop, then back thru town, and up the other side for another view point. After the 2nd stop Ask them to leave you off at the fjord center and walk down hill to see the church and back into town.

Bergen has a Ho-Ho and is easy to walk around on your own. You can buy your own funicular tickets. Line can be long but it moves.

Alesund has a "tourist train" that takes you up to a lovely overlook. Walk into town and you'll see the stop. The art nouveau museum is well worth a visit.

Stavanger is also easy to walk around. There is a small house museum near the cannery museum ask if you don't see a sign. A good way to see the inside of the lovely white homes. Sometimes the church has an organ concert.

Bobbie - You should also look for the posts from:

Ssislandgirl

She did port by port reviews from her cruise last year. Her reviews are THE BEST!!!! You simply must check out her threads as she visited many of the ports you are going to explore.

Btw, Ålesund also have a hoho bus in addition to a tourist/choo choo train.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Bobbie - You will find lots of information etc in my thread.

Link i signature.

:)

Bobbie - You should also look for the posts from:

Ssislandgirl

She did port by port reviews from her cruise last year. Her reviews are THE BEST!!!! You simply must check out her threads as she visited many of the ports you are going to explore.

Btw, Ålesund also have a hoho bus in addition to a tourist/choo choo train.

THANK YOU very much. I will look at these threads. I appreciate your help.

Bobbie

Geiranger has a tourist kiosk at the dock. You can buy the ho-ho tickets there. A competing service had a kiosk across the road from the tourist kiosk. The bus takes you to one view point for a stop, then back thru town, and up the other side for another view point. After the 2nd stop Ask them to leave you off at the fjord center and walk down hill to see the church and back into town.

Bergen has a Ho-Ho and is easy to walk around on your own. You can buy your own funicular tickets. Line can be long but it moves.

Alesund has a "tourist train" that takes you up to a lovely overlook. Walk into town and you'll see the stop. The art nouveau museum is well worth a visit.

Stavanger is also easy to walk around. There is a small house museum near the cannery museum ask if you don't see a sign. A good way to see the inside of the lovely white homes. Sometimes the church has an organ concert.

Thanks for the suggestions!