Satellite Phone

We rented a sat phone for our last cruise. The phone is bulky like old cell phones. As long as you have a direct view of the sky, you will get service. Calls can sometimes be "dropped" or lost and connections are not crystal clear, but we were able to make and receive calls during "at sea" days. We used the phone freely from our balcony and from the pool deck with few problems. I believe the company we used was satellite-phones-direct.com and you can choose either an Iridium or Globalstar phone. It all depends on how often you need or want to call others when you're supposed to be on VACATION!:)

We were in China sailing on the Yangtze River on 9/11 and fortunately my son had a rented satellite phone. We were able to contact my daughter who lives in DC and several others to make sure that all were OK. The "so-called" cruise director was able to get a lot of info off the computer and he had bulletins printed for all of the passengers (only 38 of us on a boat that had a capacity of 100). But having that satellite phone was a great asset. ;)

Archived