Booking Excursions Online

hlauburn

Sailing on the Breeze in March and I'm wondering how critical it is to book excursions in advance. We aren't 100% sure what excursions we want to do plus I'm not crazy about the idea of paying for them all up front. Does Carnival hold some spots back for onboard bookings or once they're sold out, that's it? Do the popular trips often fill up before the sailing date?

Any advice would be great :)

Thanks!

or once they're sold out, that's it? Do the popular trips often fill up before the sailing date?

If they sell out they are sold out (unless the vendor decides to add more spots).

Makes no business sense to "hold" spots in the hope someone will buy them at the last minute.

We always book through the cruiseline. In case the tour operator is late getting us back to the ship, the ship will wait. But when an independent tour operator returns late the ship does not wait. :eek::(:eek:

Edited by clearwaters

Independent tour operators almost never return guests after the ship has sailed. They are just as anxious to get us back on time as us, as their livelihood depends on a good reputation. On rare occasion, I use the cruiseline. Especially in cases such as going from Cozumel to the mainland (much higher risk on your own because of the ferry) or Belize (very long tender ride & a long ways to go to get to anything). You can check out the port of call boards for advice on things to do in your ports, either through the cruiseline or on your own.

Back to the OPs questions. If you have a guess as to what you might want to do, go ahead and book it now. You can always cancel it later for a full refund. Just cancel it before you get to within a day or so of sailing, to avoid any penalties. Some tours can and do sell out before sailing. And it is definitely not unusual to see the prices go up as you get closer to sailing. I have seen that more than a few times. Plus, once you get on board, the tour prices might go up once again. I have seen that many times.

It's easier to book prior to sailing because then you don't run the risk of the excursion selling out. That being said we had onboard credit a few years back and waited till the first night of the cruise to book excursions then we didn't have to pay for them out of pocket. If it's a popular excursion though I'd go ahead and book now before prices rise or it sells out

We always book through the cruiseline. In case the tour operator is late getting us back to the ship, the ship will wait. But when an independent tour operator returns late the ship does not wait. :eek::(:eek:

Independent tour operators almost never return guests after the ship has sailed. They are just as anxious to get us back on time as us, as their livelihood depends on a good reputation.

While it is true that Carnival will generally wait if a Carnival "brokered" excursion is late, it is not necessarily also accurate that Carnival will not wait for an independent tour that is late. Besides, the reputation and livelihood of the independent tour operators depends on them getting their clients back before the ship sails. Over the years, I have never taken a Carnival tour, always used independents - have never even been close to missing the ship. And after reading posts here for 12 1/2 years, I can't recall a thread about a legitimate independent tour operator stranding his clients.

Edited by lizardhowson

If you have your heart set on a certain tour, you're better off booking in advance rather than taking the risk that it will sell out. For our next cruise DH and I want to relax. We'd rather do what looks interesting at the time, which may be staying on the ship or window shopping in port. Our last cruise was excursion heavy and we just want to relax this time. All I have booked for us is a cabana at Amber Cove. The kids on the other hand really want to try parasailing. So I did book their excursion.

While it is true that Carnival will generally wait if a Carnival "brokered" excursion is late, it is not necessarily also accurate that Carnival will not wait for an independent tour that is late. Besides, the reputation and livelihood of the independent tour operators depends on them getting their clients back before the ship sails. Over the years, I have never taken a Carnival tour, always used independents - have never even been close to missing the ship. And after reading posts here for 12 1/2 years, I can't recall a thread about a legitimate independent tour operator stranding his clients.

Well, we took a Carnival Matzalan "Colonial Villages of the Sierra Madre" tour in 2006. The highway was under repair. By hand. The tour itself was fun, fun, fun with the city of Copala being at the top of my list. But getting back was nerve wracking. I was praying all the way. The driver took back roads and criss crossed side roads, driving like a mad man (thank God or I think we would we would STILL be on that highway). We got back very LATE. So I am a tad paranoid about such things.

But, in all fairness, that is the only time we have been late on return from an excursion (of many).

Edited by clearwaters

I'd say really sit down and pick the top 2 or 3 you would like to try...research them online and either go with an independent or with the cruise line...but if you go with the Carnival excursion you probably should book it online..once it's sold out..it's gone!