Solo - NYE

Annie2013

Hi.

One cruise I have always wanted to take is a NY cruise.

Even though I know it costs more, I am seriously thinking of doing it next year and am looking for some feedback/information.

Because I live outside of Philadelphia, I am looking at either the Breakaway out of NY or the Pride out of Baltimore.

Any input, thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Annmarie

Hi.

One cruise I have always wanted to take is a NY cruise.

Even though I know it costs more, I am seriously thinking of doing it next year and am looking for some feedback/information.

Because I live outside of Philadelphia, I am looking at either the Breakaway out of NY or the Pride out of Baltimore.

Any input, thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Annmarie

It might help if you clarify--not sure if by "NY" you mean New Year's or New York--you do say you're thinking of taking the Breakaway out of NY, so I assume that's New York City but in the subject line you say NYE so I assume that means New Year's Eve...? Also, what type of feedback or information are you looking for? Are you concerned about the sailing, the itinerary, sailing solo, or...?? Lots of helpful people here, we just need to know what you're asking about. :D

Thanks Quilting Cruiser.

Just to clarify, I am looking at a New Year's Eve cruise next year (2016 into 2017). There is one on the Breakaway out of New York and one on the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore.

I guess what I am specifically looking at is input from anyone who has taken the New Year's eve cruise solo. Also, I have never been on either of these ships and not sure if the Breakaway would be better since it is set up for solos.

Thank you.

Annmarie

Thanks Quilting Cruiser.

Just to clarify, I am looking at a New Year's Eve cruise next year (2016 into 2017). There is one on the Breakaway out of New York and one on the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore.

I guess what I am specifically looking at is input from anyone who has taken the New Year's eve cruise solo. Also, I have never been on either of these ships and not sure if the Breakaway would be better since it is set up for solos.

Thank you.

Annmarie

That's helpful! :)

I've never cruise over New Year's Eve, but I've cruised over Christmas and absolutely loved it! I loved the decorations and holiday-specific meals and activities. I would suspect that a New Year's cruise would be similar in the sense that there would possibly be decorations and a lot of activity on New Year's Eve itself. It would be really special to be cruising on New Year's Day. What a great way to start the year!!

I've never sailed the Breakaway but have sailed on the Pride (but with my family and not as a solo). In March I'll have my first experience in a studio cabin (NCL Epic) and on a ship that has some focus on solo clientele. I'm looking forward to seeing how that experience is different from sailing solo on a ship that doesn't have studio cabins, the lounge, or staff dedicated to the solo travelers.

As much as I liked the Pride, if I were faced with the same decision you are, I would choose the Breakaway. The reason is that I'm sure the staff for the solos will make sure there are activities planned for them for NYE. For me, that wouldn't be a priority, but I think it would be for most people. That way you wouldn't have any anxiety over fitting in or feeling comfortable or having someone to talk with or whatever since there will be the option to go to the festivities with a group of other solos.

Have a great time and let us know what you decide!!

Thanks Quilting Cruiser.

Thank you.

Annmarie

There will be solos on each, but I would imagine the breakaway would be more conducive to meeting singles to celebrate with. You'll have your own dedicated "concierge" to help you have a good time.

I would choose NCL. Haven't sailed the other.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I had a great time doing the Breakaway 2x and the Epic once.

My next one will likely be the Escape to do something new, even though it means going to FLA vs. taking the Bus 80 minutes to NYC.

I also used to live near Media- a few minutes from the Granite Run Mall years ago.

This is something I was thinking about earlier today actually -- that I would love to spend NYE on a ship, preferably doing a southern Caribbean cruise. I'll definitely be looking into this for 2017, as 2016 is probably way too expensive already.

• 4 months later...
This is something I was thinking about earlier today actually -- that I would love to spend NYE on a ship, preferably doing a southern Caribbean cruise. I'll definitely be looking into this for 2017, as 2016 is probably way too expensive already.

I've also been desiring to do a NYE cruise for Dec. 2017.

So far, NCL Gem has one out of New York City from December 23, 2017 to January 3, 2018. Ports: Puerto Rico, ST. Thomas, St. Martin, St. Kitts and Tortolas. All ports arriving At 8:00 am.

I'm a little uneasy about going alone on this one because I feel there will be mostly families and couples. :-/

Edited by Starrgazer50

I've also been desiring to do a NYE cruise for Dec. 2017.

So far, NCL Gem has one out of New York City from December 23, 2017 to January 3, 2018. Ports: Puerto Rico, ST. Thomas, St. Martin, St. Kitts and Tortolas. All ports arriving At 8:00 am.

I'm a little uneasy about going alone on this one because I feel there will be mostly families and couples. :-/

You are right, NCL Gem would have mostly couple and families. I have done NCL Gem and Breakaway. From my experience if I want to be lest alone during my cruise I would chose Gem, but if I want to be around other solos I would go with Breakaway. On the Gem its extremely hard to find other solos and there are very very little of them. But Breakaway attracts solos because of the solo lunge and host, and studio rooms.

I love Breakaway, on the Gem I felt alone, and didn't have that much fun. And its coming form someone who is an introvert. :)

You are right, NCL Gem would have mostly couple and families. I have done NCL Gem and Breakaway. From my experience if I want to be lest alone during my cruise I would chose Gem, but if I want to be around other solos I would go with Breakaway. On the Gem its extremely hard to find other solos and there are very very little of them. But Breakaway attracts solos because of the solo lunge and host, and studio rooms.

I love Breakaway, on the Gem I felt alone, and didn't have that much fun. And its coming form someone who is an introvert. :)

I'm quite introverted as well so I know what you mean.:)

I've never tried the solo cabins yet. I did book one for a Bermuda cruise for Sept. 2017. I look forward to comparing the experience.

The Breakaway Holiday (Dec) cruises for 2017 aren't listed yet, but for 2016 they're only going to Florida and Bahamas and I don't care too much for those ports of call. I guess I'll start looking at the other NCL solo friendly ships.

Edited by Starrgazer50

I haven't sailed around NYE before but have booked Queen Elizabeth for 29 December. I'm told it is a fabulous atmosphere so I'm looking forward to it. We'll be overnight in Amsterdam on NYE!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app