Has anyone done Escape solo yet?

HowardK

I am planning on going 12/17 next year. It seems from looking at the dallies they do the solo gathering somewhere other than the lounge on day 1. Can anyone confirm? I was looking at the 8 day breakaway 12/18 but am looking to try the ship as I am interested in the new venues, shows and they are offering some nice promos i.e. ultimate beverage + a dining package that gives 4 meals.

In my experience on other solo studio ships, the solo host gathers non studio solos at a bar and take them down to the studio lounge together

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

That's exactly how it was done on my Breakaway cruise in November, we met at the bar waited for others for about 20 more minutes and headed to the solo lounge with the host.

We met at the Tobacco Road bar the first day and were taken to the Studio Lounge as a group. For the remainder of the cruise the meeting spot was the Studio Lounge (a door was open for non-Studio people).

The revelation to me was that I have thought of the Studios as especially geared for the solo traveler (as NCL markets them) but the reality is that they are very popular with friends and family travelling together but like to have a cabin to themselves. How dare they invade "our" special cabins. LOL.

It will vary by the week I'm sure but what we found as a result is that a relatively low number participated in the Solo Gatherings in relation to the number of Studio Cabins. We also figured that it could be the absence of the bar in the Studio Lounge was part of the reason for low traffic. I still met a few friends but it just did not seem as busy as my week on the Epic a few years ago. I have no Breakaway/Getaway experience so have no basis for comparison to them.

I have to mention that if you do go to dinner in in one of the MDRs expect to be there for awhile, in particular the Manhattan Room. I loved the cruise but the pace of service for dinners is the main constructive criticism I have. If you're in the mood for something quicker consider the buffet, O'Sheehan's Pub, or one of the Specialty Venues. Otherwise enjoy the company/conversation. Aside from the dinners Jessy the Solo coordinator arranged to have the shows booked/re-booked so people could go together as a group and suggested daily events that we could also meet up to enjoy together. The daily gathering served as an opportunity to communicate those opportunities for the particular evening and the next day.

I found on average about 20-25% at most of the people in studios participate in the solo gatherings. Although I enjoyed longer dinners on my first 2 cruises, I found by my last cruise I enjoyed a few shorter meals at specialty restuarants and as you said actually did O Shennan's one night before the latitutes gathering.

We met at the Tobacco Road bar the first day and were taken to the Studio Lounge as a group. For the remainder of the cruise the meeting spot was the Studio Lounge (a door was open for non-Studio people).

It will vary by the week I'm sure but what we found as a result is that a relatively low number participated in the Solo Gatherings in relation to the number of Studio Cabins. We also figured that it could be the absence of the bar in the Studio Lounge was part of the reason for low traffic. I still met a few friends but it just did not seem as busy as my week on the Epic a few years ago. .

I am going on Escape next month and this will probably be the only time I travel solo on this ship. I am really bummed about the lack of the bar in the lounge. Not sure why anyone would want to hang out there? Seems like it be awkward just sitting at a table if you didn't know anyone. I guess I will see how it goes, but I am ready to get back to the Epic. We spent every evening hanging out and meeting new people that we had missed previous nights. You didn't feel out of place because you could sit and talk to the bartender until others arrived. There were many people that filtered through the lounge for a pre-dinner cocktail and it was a great meeting place.