Nightmare - what would you do? RESULT!

julieh

Regardless of the why they fixed it we are all thrilled for you. The results fall in line with the Princess customer oriented service that so many of us have become accustomed to. Maybe this will dampen the attitude of the Princess "nay sayers" just a bit.
Agree – it would be nice to hear Princess’ side of the story…

Regardless of the why they fixed it we are all thrilled for you. The results fall in line with the Princess customer oriented service that so many of us have become accustomed to. Maybe this will dampen the attitude of the Princess "nay sayers" just a bit.
Agree – it would be nice to hear Princess’ side of the story…

Julie... I'm so happy it all worked out so well for you. My suggestion is to log onto the Princess Personalizer to make sure it now says your orginal cabin and then print it out and take it with you to the ship. I always do that for added security... just in case.

Sandy

Julie... I'm so happy it all worked out so well for you. My suggestion is to log onto the Princess Personalizer to make sure it now says your orginal cabin and then print it out and take it with you to the ship. I always do that for added security... just in case.

Sandy

Hopefully someone can educate me on this issue:

When booking a cabin on a cruise, are you actually booking a specific cabin or just a space? My impression is that even with a cabin assignment, the cruise line has every right to make a switch for whatever reason they see fit. It is the same in the hotel industry (in which I previously worked). When you make a booking, you can request a specific type of room or even a specific room, but the hotel has the right (as it is their property) to make changes to the assignment as fits their business need. Isn't this the case with cruise lines?

What you are actually paying for is a Cabin Category and as long as you are placed within that category or better, they are fulfilling their obligation to you. Much as booking a compact car only to arrive at the counter and the company not having any left. They then put you in the next size up for the same price.

I have scoured all of the cruise information sent by Princess and nowhere in the Cruise Contract, or any additional material supplied by Princess, does it say anyone is absolutely 100% guaranteed a cabin. In fact, they do not address assignments at all. I think it is an implied agreement but not an explicit agreement. Therefore, there is no obligation on any cruise line to guarantee your cabin selection, just your category.

If anyone has any printed information that shows a passenger is guaranteed a specific cabin, I would love to see it. In fact, if you read the contract carefully, they have a clause in their that allows them to charge more to your shipboard account, " “Cruise Fare” means the amount payable by You to Carrier for Your Cruise, excluding commissions and/or discounts. It covers the cruise package, scheduled meals and accommodations while on board and shall include any increases in government fees and taxes, air fees and taxes, fuel, immigration, air programs or other costs which Carrier may add to Your Cruise Fare and charge to your stateroom account and/or credit card." That comes directly from the Contract.

While I am happy for the OP, I do believe that it was within Princess' rights to make the switch, they just appear to have handled it very poorly.

Thanks to anyone that can provide the information I requested without getting typically snotty about a contradictory opinion.

Hopefully someone can educate me on this issue:

When booking a cabin on a cruise, are you actually booking a specific cabin or just a space? My impression is that even with a cabin assignment, the cruise line has every right to make a switch for whatever reason they see fit. It is the same in the hotel industry (in which I previously worked). When you make a booking, you can request a specific type of room or even a specific room, but the hotel has the right (as it is their property) to make changes to the assignment as fits their business need. Isn't this the case with cruise lines?

What you are actually paying for is a Cabin Category and as long as you are placed within that category or better, they are fulfilling their obligation to you. Much as booking a compact car only to arrive at the counter and the company not having any left. They then put you in the next size up for the same price.

I have scoured all of the cruise information sent by Princess and nowhere in the Cruise Contract, or any additional material supplied by Princess, does it say anyone is absolutely 100% guaranteed a cabin. In fact, they do not address assignments at all. I think it is an implied agreement but not an explicit agreement. Therefore, there is no obligation on any cruise line to guarantee your cabin selection, just your category.

If anyone has any printed information that shows a passenger is guaranteed a specific cabin, I would love to see it. In fact, if you read the contract carefully, they have a clause in their that allows them to charge more to your shipboard account, " “Cruise Fare” means the amount payable by You to Carrier for Your Cruise, excluding commissions and/or discounts. It covers the cruise package, scheduled meals and accommodations while on board and shall include any increases in government fees and taxes, air fees and taxes, fuel, immigration, air programs or other costs which Carrier may add to Your Cruise Fare and charge to your stateroom account and/or credit card." That comes directly from the Contract.

While I am happy for the OP, I do believe that it was within Princess' rights to make the switch, they just appear to have handled it very poorly.

Thanks to anyone that can provide the information I requested without getting typically snotty about a contradictory opinion.

Good for you not giving up! (or "IN' to Princess request)...Me? I "caved" - but Princess put me into #C747 - same cabin on the Starboard side (w/Cruise credit) so no big deal!

Interesting to see where they put the PAX in #C747 on my cruise - :eek: & wonder where they put "Lorraine" on your cruise:confused:

We're not going to ever know the real inside info here.....but I'm just so happy for you......enjoy your cruise!

Good for you not giving up! (or "IN' to Princess request)...Me? I "caved" - but Princess put me into #C747 - same cabin on the Starboard side (w/Cruise credit) so no big deal!

Interesting to see where they put the PAX in #C747 on my cruise - :eek: & wonder where they put "Lorraine" on your cruise:confused:

We're not going to ever know the real inside info here.....but I'm just so happy for you......enjoy your cruise!

Good for you Julieh, glad it all worked out and now you can be near to your daughter and friend, much less worrysome I am sure. It would be interesting to hear Princess side of it , but alas we probably will not.

I actually emailed Princess Captains Circle (being the only email I could find on the web site) and asked them to forward to Customer Public Relations , that they should check out the CC board for your thread, well I did get an email back promptly thanking me for the email BUT they referred me to 1-800 princess , and didn't say if they had forwarded the email or not, I would say not. But at least we tried. So glad it all worked out. Have a wonderful cruise and please post a review when you return, we are on the same itinerary in March.

Cori

Good for you Julieh, glad it all worked out and now you can be near to your daughter and friend, much less worrysome I am sure. It would be interesting to hear Princess side of it , but alas we probably will not.

I actually emailed Princess Captains Circle (being the only email I could find on the web site) and asked them to forward to Customer Public Relations , that they should check out the CC board for your thread, well I did get an email back promptly thanking me for the email BUT they referred me to 1-800 princess , and didn't say if they had forwarded the email or not, I would say not. But at least we tried. So glad it all worked out. Have a wonderful cruise and please post a review when you return, we are on the same itinerary in March.

Cori

Thanks again Gramps for interjecting some sense into this debate. Your posts are quite well thought out, objective and logical. As for “Lorraine” whom everyone seems to think is the person who tried to take the cabin, if that were true, why the switch back? And I must say if I was a cruise line and had a customer who paid to sail one of my ships every day except when they were in dry dock, I’d give him or her preferential treatment too - I doubt that any of us here are that loyal.

So, so happy for you, Julie. I wonder if this other person agreed to another cabin -- if so, you may find her glaring at you.:rolleyes: If she has booked just about every cruise in the year for that cabin, why don't they just reserved it for her from now on and if she tells them, she's not going, they can release it.

Wonderful news, but what a soap opera! Was Gotto right about the tatooed lady, or was this a case of some minor league clout gone bad? Did you get your cabin back on the second cruise too? This is one time I believe the CC Boards may have actually had an impact. If so, the people have spoken!

Archived