Mediterranean cruise question

pjo

Our family has done many Caribbean and Mexico cruises (mostly on Princess and RCI), but now we want to try something totally different. And that would be a European cruise. Due to scheduling difficulties if we do a Mediterranean cruise it would have to be done in the winter. Probably the first week of January, 2017.

Has anyone ever done a winter Med cruise and how was it? Also, as we are used to Princess and RCI how does MSC compare?

Paul

Our family has done many Caribbean and Mexico cruises (mostly on Princess and RCI), but now we want to try something totally different. And that would be a European cruise. Due to scheduling difficulties if we do a Mediterranean cruise it would have to be done in the winter. Probably the first week of January, 2017.

Has anyone ever done a winter Med cruise and how was it? Also, as we are used to Princess and RCI how does MSC compare?

Paul

We have cruised in winter in the Med a good number of times, including Silhouette in 2013, NCL Jade in 2014 and most recently MSC Preziosa. Have done reviews on cruise critic on these cruises, let me know if you can't find the links.

We enjoyed it very much! As for how MSC compares to Royal, follow my thread which I am reviewing our trip on MSC Preziosa Yacht club. We really like the YC product.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Paul

For your convenience, here are the links to reviews I did on CC.

NCL Jade

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2139138

Celebrity Silhouette

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1952065

MSC Preziosa (ongoing)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2288693

Ive only sailed in the Med in winter as the start to a repositioning cruise. It's far from ideal. Practically the least amount of daylight hours, cold, storms possible. However if that is the only time you can sail and are prepared for cold weather, you may still enjoy it. Cruise prices are much cheaper then and ports of call much quieter for getting around. MSC like some others, extend their itineraries into 10 or 11 days and head further south to catch some decent milder weather in places like the Canaries, Cyprus etc. If you do look at MSC, book one with a magrodome over its pool (Magnifica or any Fantasia class ship).

MSC operates mainly out of Italy (Venice and Genoa) and these can be impacted by bad weather (snow in Genoa) so make sure you allow a big enough buffer for flights being delayed. MSC tends to operate a bit like a ferry or bus in the Med, picking up and dropping off passengers at almost every port of call. Some may suit better for flights from the US.

I try to arid winter in Europe myself and escape to the sun!

Edited by AmoMondo

I am sailing on Feb 10th on a Med round trip and I'm a bit anxious about what to expect!

1) Hoping the boat won't rock too much

2) Hoping for sunlight and not too much rain

3) Hoping the lounges won't be overcrowded since the outside pools won't be that much used if used, at all.

We'll see! Worse case scenario they will see me everyday at the SPA :D

Edited by Bra_BE2014