Review: RC Adventure of the Seas Dec 19 2015

BoopTennis

Amazing and helpful review... thank you!

Do you know if there is a "mystery dinner theater" onboard (like a whodunit mystery during dinner)? My sister said she went to one in the past (but I think it was on Serenade). I was on Adventure back in 2013 and don't recall seeing it offered and looked quickly through all of the Compasses you posted, and didn't see it.

I'm thinking it's not on Adventure or not offered any more????

one more question...

the shows/entertainment (I saw in the Compasses that they were things like an ice show, shows in the Lyric, etc)

Do you make a reservation, like you do on Oasis class... or is it first come/first serve?

Hi, i have heard of mystery dinner but not on Adventure. I am not 100% sure but I don't think they had one, i know what they are and did not hear a word about it

On the shows, I am not sure about reservations in advance. I know we could not make them online before the cruise. Not sure on the ship. Sorry

Have fun. you will have a blast!

Hi BoopTennis. I've really enjoyed reading your review of your recent AOS cruise. I will be on that ship out of San Juan in just TWO weeks!!!! I hope you can answer a few last minute questions for me.

1) We have MyTime Dining with mostly 6:30 reservations (a couple of 8pm). Do you know if we will be at the same table every time?

2) Did you find many excursions and dining reservations booked up soon after boarding? There are 6 in our party and getting everyone to commit ahead of time is like pulling teeth so I suspect many of our choices may be totally booked when we board.

3) Are there plenty of clothes hangers in the closets or should I pack a few?

4) On other cruises, we've been able to store our suitcases under the bed but we now have new ones that are pretty big. Still think they'll fit under the bed?

5) How formal is formal night? My son hates dressing up and wonders if just a jacket, slacks, tie would suffice vs. a suit? (No way he'd go for a tux!)

Thanks so much for any answers you can provide!

Hi BoopTennis. I've really enjoyed reading your review of your recent AOS cruise. I will be on that ship out of San Juan in just TWO weeks!!!! I hope you can answer a few last minute questions for me.

Hi! and thanks for your great questions. I can't help you with all of them, but see my answers below:

1) We have MyTime Dining with mostly 6:30 reservations (a couple of 8pm). Do you know if we will be at the same table every time? - Sorry, I do not know. We had traditional late seating at 8:30 every night, so not sure how the MTD worked. I do love having the same waiters each night, we got to know each other!

2) Did you find many excursions and dining reservations booked up soon after boarding? There are 6 in our party and getting everyone to commit ahead of time is like pulling teeth so I suspect many of our choices may be totally booked when we board. - Sorry again, no help here. We booked all our excursions in advance through private companies on the islands, not thru RCI. I do understand what you mean however about trying to get everyone in your party to make decisions in advance! We had 8 in our group. We did not do any special dining either, we were happy with our normal MDR dining.

3) Are there plenty of clothes hangers in the closets or should I pack a few? - Great question and this time I did take some extra hangers. I had not done that in the past and it helped a lot. I had some old wire hangers that I didn't care about, and they did not take up much room, so I packed those. Then i left them there and did not bother packing them in the luggage to bring back home.

4) On other cruises, we've been able to store our suitcases under the bed but we now have new ones that are pretty big. Still think they'll fit under the bed? - We had one large suitcase that did not fit under the bed, so we put it in the corner and it was fine there. The roller bags and one other medium sized checked bag fit under the bed

5) How formal is formal night? My son hates dressing up and wonders if just a jacket, slacks, tie would suffice vs. a suit? (No way he'd go for a tux!) - No worries on the dinner attire! All types were there. A few tuxes not many. Mostly suits or sports coats but also MANY with shirt and tie and no sport coast. Also many without tie. So do not sweat it.

Thanks so much for any answers you can provide!

Have a wonderful trip! I am jealous that are still looking forward to yours!

:mad:

Have a wonderful trip! I am jealous that are still looking forward to yours!

Thanks so much for the quick and helpful response! I'll pack some extra hangers and be prepared to not be able to store luggage under the bed since I don't think ours will fit.

Good to know about the formal night attire. My son will be happy and may not even take a jacket now. I knew rest of the nights were fine with just slacks or nice jeans and a collared shirt for the guys but I'm surprised that could also work for formal night.

Thanks again. I plan to read more of your recent review soon. Have a great weekend!

:mad:

Thanks so much for the quick and helpful response! I'll pack some extra hangers and be prepared to not be able to store luggage under the bed since I don't think ours will fit.

Good to know about the formal night attire. My son will be happy and may not even take a jacket now. I knew rest of the nights were fine with just slacks or nice jeans and a collared shirt for the guys but I'm surprised that could also work for formal night.

Thanks again. I plan to read more of your recent review soon. Have a great weekend!

For MTD you can request the same table each night or at least the same section. That way you can have the same servers all week. We did this on Jewel and it worked great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

so so sad to see the cruise end, it went by so fast, i wish we could have stayed on!

1st groups were called at 7 am. We had a 9:20 time. Windjammer was open for breakfast until 9 or 9:30. We grabbed breakfast then finished getting out of our rooms, then we went to hang out in one of the lounges that had coloring book pages and crayons for kids. Played some cards and walked around a bit one last time.

Got off the ship, customs line was pretty long took about 40 minutes. Lots of taxis waiting and maybe just a 5-10 minute wait to load up. Taxi to airport was 15 minutes or less and cost $25 plus tip which included $1 per bag fee.

Not sure if I mentioned it but Kids Club was great, 9 yr old enjoyed it a lot, ate dinner one night with them. Met friends that he hung with at the pool also.

I will try to get the rest of the compasses posted soon.

LOVED the cruise!!!

Thanks for your very informative review! We will be on same cruise in March and would like to do self disembark because we have read on cc that the airport process in San Juan is a nightmare and can take 2-3 hours. Our plane doesn't leave until right after noon sometime, but want to have plenty of time to get to gate. Do you know how efficient the self disembark process was? Did you have any issues at the airport?

Thanks for your very informative review! We will be on same cruise in March and would like to do self disembark because we have read on cc that the airport process in San Juan is a nightmare and can take 2-3 hours. Our plane doesn't leave until right after noon sometime, but want to have plenty of time to get to gate. Do you know how efficient the self disembark process was? Did you have any issues at the airport?

My thanks to BoopTennis too for the great info. Our flight is at 11:30am and I thought we'd have plenty of time to make it once disembarking. Sounds like I definitely need to ask for the earliest time possible off the ship. Plus, my daughter-in-law has mobility problems and uses a portable wheelchair so that will be added to the mix.

I guess I'm a little surprised that we have to go through Customs as US citizens in a US airport. Thought the closed loop cruise took care of that (that's why some folks could use a driver's license and birth certificate vs. a passport per RCCL.) Oh well, we'll prepare for the chaos as well as possible. Still looking forward to it. Only 11 more days!!!!

You'll go through customs after you get off the ship and claim your luggage. At the airport, you'll go through USDA inspection before checking your bags with the airline.

Thanks for the extra detail about Customs. I'm assuming it'll be the same process with the "self assist" option where we will already have our luggage with us when leaving our cabin.

I actually thought of another question. We have the My Time dining option. I've made reservations for every night but never saw options for seating after 6:45 until 8:00pm. Do they not accept reservations during that block of time or were those slots just probably already filled? Ideally, we'd prefer to dine around 7:15pm so was wondering.

Thanks again!