Insurance question

I usually cruise with my parents, as they both have medical conditions we have always purchased travel insurance. Thankfully we have never needed to use it. We just completed a wonderful cruise on the Jewel of the Seas and while on board we attempted to book another cruise for 9/06. We had planned which cruise and sailing as my brother and his family were going to join us.

While we were onboard we found out that the cruise we wanted was not available for booking. We did not want to lose the $200. per stateroom booking credit so the consultant booked us on another 10 day cruise through the canal in 12/06.

In the past we have always used access america for our cruise. Due to my parents pre-existing conditions, we always purchased the insurance at the time of deposit. According to Access america the deposit date is considered to be 9/29/05 even though I do not yet know the actual date of sailing or cost of the trip. They advised me to insure the deposit, then when the changes are made to change the insurance within 14 days of the change.

I went to insuremytrip.com and found that csa waives pre-existing conditions if insurance is purchased withing 24 hrs of final payment. However, it must be a first booking and the parties must be able to travel at the time the insurance is bought.

I am unsure whether to purchase the accessamerica policy now or to wait and take my chances with csa. Has anyone used csa and would my switching the booking be considered as not a first booking?

Thanks for any help

Linda

We have used TravelGuard and I think pre-existing conditions are covered. I know there is some kind of "time period" you need to purchase it in order to get the coverage for pre-existing conditions though. Give them a call and maybe they will be able to accomodate you. Good luck and have a great cruise!

Archived