College Kids on Disney Cruises

reallifeprincess

My family is considering taking our very first cruise ever coming up in May 2016. I've always LOVED Disney and a Disney cruise really just seems perfect for us. The issue is, I'm 19 and therefore feel too young to fit into the adult group, but I'm too old to participate in teen activities. I've done tons of research on how many college kids are on Disney cruises, and I understand that the number varies depending on the time of year--sometimes there's a pretty good number, other times there's no one. I guess my question is this: How many college students are likely to be on the ship in late May? Is this a time that the number is likely to be higher, or lower? Thanks so much! :)

I think anytime you go when college is out you have a better chance (than when college/school is in session). They will post on the daily navigator when people 18-20 can get together (like lunch or in an adult nightclub) so that you will meet everyone. I have a college age son who was 18 on our cruise on the Fantasy last August- he met a ton of friends, had a great time! [emoji2] I hope you will, too!

I went in college in 98. I had a blast. I must have been 19 or 20.

I had no interest in getting pictures with characters, but I still had a blast. Made Disney my favorite cruise line back then. Just got back from another Disney cruise. Still think 19-20 yr old me would have had a blast.

Late May is a great time as most colleges are out early to mid May but many high schools continue into late May or early June.

A couple of issues...DCL used to have a "college club." Unfortunately when they had to start kicking the 18s out of the Vibe, the "college club" morphed into the "18-20" club which was something of a death knell for the older college kids. Sorry, but there is all the difference in the world in the maturity level of a 19 year old who has spent a year away from home at college and a 19year old who is still in high school or just finished. The 18-20 group became largely high school kids who had "aged out" of the Vibe and the college kids didn't show up any more.

At 18, you are welcome in all adult activities. You just can't purchase alcohol on most DCL cruises (there are a few exceptions like the European cruises).

My grand daughter is a sophomore in college and 19. She loves the 18 to 21 group. We have already gone on two cruises since she turned 18. And we are going on the wonder on jan 10 just before she goes back to school and she is looking forward to it. In Europe I have signed so that she could drink. Don't think she can do that in the carribbean but she somehow gets a drink or two! She has always found good friends to hang with.

My grand daughter is a sophomore in college and 19. She loves the 18 to 21 group. We have already gone on two cruises since she turned 18. And we are going on the wonder on jan 10 just before she goes back to school and she is looking forward to it. In Europe I have signed so that she could drink. Don't think she can do that in the carribbean but she somehow gets a drink or two! She has always found good friends to hang with.

I hope your grand daughter continues to enjoy her cruises and makes good friends to cruise with. I see no problem with an over 18 being slipped drinks.

It happens on land, and at sea as you say when in Europe.

I also hope that she stays safe, and doesn't allow herself to get isolated from the crowd.

Safety in numbers.

ex techie