Changing cabins once on board

We have a small group going on the Granduer of the Seas in Jan. We have booked 4 cabins. Now here is the problem... We have 4 people over 55 and 4 people under 55. In an effort to save money the travel agent suggested that we book the over 55 folks in each of the 4 cabins needed, giving all couples the over 55 discount. Now since we want to be in the same cabin as our spouses, how do we change our sea pass cards to match the cabin we are staying in? Can we just go to the pursers desk and request this? Thanks!

Please let me know what sailing you are on.

Go to the check in agent and explain what you want to do. It would help if you have it all written out ahead of time. This will save time for you ultimately. They will go to the Coordinator and have your cabins switched at that time. It should be done before you actually check in.

Oh good, I have a similar problem on Legend in December. Two of my 8 cabin group want to switch (balcony to inside and vice versa) for monetary reasons, and I was afraid it was going to be a nightmare. RCCL refused to make the change on the phone because prices have gone up. Even though we're not actually changing cabins, they would only do the moves individually, charging the new price as they moved. bizarre.

I'm glad some of you here know how to do it. We had a similar experience, where my TA put one of each of us over 55 in a cabin with one person under 55, on a total of 5 cabins. I was having a problem of how were would be put in the correct cabin at the time of sailing, so told him to just put us in our correct cabin and I would pay the difference. Next time I'll be smarter.

Rick

We had the same situation last month on the Sovereign. Here's what we did:

1. Before we left for the port we swapped luggage tags so that our bags were delivered to the rooms we actually wanted to stay in.

2. We checked in port-side according to our tickets (in the "wrong" rooms)

3. In late afternoon (after the big rush was over) we went to the purser's desk & explained we needed to swap room assignments. She worked magic on her computer, printed new cards for everyone, and had us on our way in less than 5 minutes. Not even all of us went to the desk, just one representative from each room w/ all the "wrong" cards.

It was MUCH easier than I expected it to be!

Peach

We had the same situation last month on the Sovereign. Here's what we did:

1. Before we left for the port we swapped luggage tags so that our bags were delivered to the rooms we actually wanted to stay in.

2. We checked in port-side according to our tickets (in the "wrong" rooms)

3. In late afternoon (after the big rush was over) we went to the purser's desk & explained we needed to swap room assignments. She worked magic on her computer, printed new cards for everyone, and had us on our way in less than 5 minutes. Not even all of us went to the desk, just one representative from each room w/ all the "wrong" cards.

It was MUCH easier than I expected it to be!

Peach

I need to do this for my DH who is booked across the hall with 2 or our dds. He and my other dd need to switch. We had to book him in their because they are minors. Will they give him and her new seapass cards. Wont they give us a hard time since the kids will now be in a cabin without an adult? :confused:

(yes they are old enough to stay alone - just not old enough to book alone)

I need to do this for my DH who is booked across the hall with 2 or our dds. He and my other dd need to switch. We had to book him in their because they are minors. Will they give him and her new seapass cards. Wont they give us a hard time since the kids will now be in a cabin without an adult? :confused:

(yes they are old enough to stay alone - just not old enough to book alone)

We have the same situation with kids and have never actually switched anyone to the other room. Just request an extra room key for each room.

Not sure if you can switch if the rooms aren't adjoining. It wasn't much of a hassle the way it was set up.

Bobbie

We have the same situation with kids and have never actually switched anyone to the other room. Just request an extra room key for each room.

Not sure if you can switch if the rooms aren't adjoining. It wasn't much of a hassle the way it was set up.

Bobbie

Oh Ok. Thanks!

I just didn't want DD & DH to each have to carry around 2 cards :eek: Any way around that?

RCI just won't allow you to book a minor into a cabin without an adult, so everyone books this way. It's pretty standard procedure to change the keys at the desk. Even in their brochures it says that minors are allowed to be in their own cabin as long as they are adjacent, or adjoining their parents or guardians.

Oh Ok. Thanks!

I just didn't want DD & DH to each have to carry around 2 cards :eek: Any way around that?

There really isn't a way around carrying two cards. Most likely you will want to carry a card to the kids room at all times anyways. To check in, and get things you may need from their room.

My kids always have to stay together so they just used one of the other kids cards to get in the room or buy a soda. It is usually a contest to see who can open the door first anyhow :) My fiancee always has pockets so carrying an extra card hasn't been an issue for us yet. The room steward has also opened the door for us or the kids if we forgot our card.

The first time one of our kids (the youngest) lost her seapass she was in tears. A quick trip to the Pursers desk and she had a new one. The old one was later found in the room. No big deal, but we had no idea what happens if you lose a seapass card.

Happy cruising,

Bobbie

We did this on our last cruise. We always bring lanyards for the kids and have their cards punched at guest relations. Then it's no big deal for the one that has the extra card because they just wear it around their neck. I always want a key to their room anyways.

Archived