How many of you bring your own bed linen?

With all of the hysteria concerning the bed bug invasion, I have been seriously considering bringing my own sheets, pillow cases, etc. It just seems like such a hassle. Those that do not bring your own linen have you had a problem? Those that do, is it worth the extra effort?

With all of the hysteria concerning the bed bug invasion, I have been seriously considering bringing my own sheets, pillow cases, etc. It just seems like such a hassle. Those that do not bring your own linen have you had a problem? Those that do, is it worth the extra effort?

With all of the hysteria concerning the bed bug invasion' date=' I have been seriously considering bringing my own sheets, pillow cases, etc. It just seems like such a hassle. Those that do not bring your own linen have you had a problem? Those that do, is it worth the extra effort?[/quote']

I've been on several cruises and have never encountered bedbugs. Barbugs maybe, never a bed bug. Bring some lysol and lysol wipes and have a great trip.

With all of the hysteria concerning the bed bug invasion' date=' I have been seriously considering bringing my own sheets, pillow cases, etc. It just seems like such a hassle. Those that do not bring your own linen have you had a problem? Those that do, is it worth the extra effort?[/quote']

I've been on several cruises and have never encountered bedbugs. Barbugs maybe, never a bed bug. Bring some lysol and lysol wipes and have a great trip.

I wouldn't bother bringing your own bedclothes. If the bugs are there, they'll be in the mattress too. However, the incidents are few and far between, so just go (without the bedclothes) and have a great cruise! :)

Actually, if you look up bed bugs on the internet, you will find that bed bugs exist everywhere. Not just cruise ships and hotels, but your homes as well. Bedbugs are soooo tiny that you cannot see them, and most households can get them quite easily. Thats just a fact. So, the problem with bed bugs on cruise ships could have come from someone bringing their own linens from home. Yuck!

I prefer to pack light and not bring anything already provided by the cruiselines. As much as I love my sheets at home, they will have to stay home. Actually a cruise ship is a wonderful place to sleep, all the rocking I'm out like a light and tend to sleep more than when I'm home.

Your own sheets will not prevent bed bugs, or any other cooties. As far as the "bed bug hysteria" I've only read one actual news story, and maybe a couple internet story. There was only validation once (to my knowledge) last spring. Have I missed the news? I read the news every day. I think the "hysteria" is from people being creeped out by the one incident.

There was a confirmed case on a Princess ship and one on the Jewel from last spring. After that there was a rash of people reporting "red welts" on the boards and demands of "money back", almost all first time posters, but nothing ever confirmed.

There's no way I'd consider bringing my own sheets. I could never get mine as clean as a ship's laundry. Aside from that, I seriously doubt the linens are the source of the problem.....if indeed it really exists. When you consider the number of passengers ships carry, one or two confirmed cases of bedbugs is a darned good record.

Beth

Does anyone know what will kill bedbugs? Lysol? Raid? Is there something a cruiser can bring on board with them to spray the mattress first thing, in hopes of killing whatever little critters are in there?

Does anyone know what will kill bedbugs? Lysol? Raid? Is there something a cruiser can bring on board with them to spray the mattress first thing, in hopes of killing whatever little critters are in there?

Bed bugs are notoriously hard to get rid of. You can find some information on getting rid of them here.

Gah, I hate reading about these things. I immediately just get so itchy. :eek:

Maybe I'm being naive or uninformed, but I will take the chances with the bedbugs just so I don't have anything extra I have to pack. I already panic when trying to figure out what to take on a cruise, and if I had to find room for linens, or take an extra suitcase for them, that would just be too much for me.

I am more worried about catching a cold or infection on a plane than I am on a ship. I've actually seen people cleaning on ships, and they don't wait until in between debarkment and embarkment. On planes, they pick up the trash in the seats and let the next group on the plane. They may clean at night or the morning, but not in between.

The only thing those over the counter things will do is give you germfree bedbugs.:D

The odds of coming into contact with bedbugs are about as great as winning the lottery.

If someone is really that paranoid about them, sleep on top of the covers and leave the light on. They hate light.

Please think twice before you start using those products. I'm highly allergic to Raid. If you sprayed the bed and I happened to get that cabin after you, I would be extremely ill - probably needing medical help. Leave the treatment to the professionals.

Beth

Archived