Which cabin(s) to book... advice??

MaiTaiMary

We are looking at a fall 2017 Vista sailing. Trying to figure out which cabin configuration would be better for us.

We are a family of five. Mom, Dad, and three kids- ages at the time of cruise 10, 11, and 13.

Our options for this cruise would be:

A: A balcony cabin for us and an inside cabin across the hall for the three kids. Deck #7; forward. Total price for all five people, two cabin: $4,541.25

B: Family Harbor Suite (with balcony) for all five of us. Deck 2. Total price for one cabin: $4,381.25

So $160 more to have two cabins, rather than one. I was really excited about the family harbor suite... until I read a thread here. There were some very good points made that I hadn't thought of. Like being on such a low deck and being directly below the galley. :( However, I love the thought of one big cabin all together and being able to send the kids over to the family harbor lounge, if needed. I think of that as kind of an extension of our cabin. They will be old enough to hang out there for a bit and wait for us while we're getting ready for dinner, for example. Give us some elbow room in the cabin.

Anyway....

which one do you think would be a better deal for us? It's so hard to figure out on paper how popular those Family Harbor Suites are going to be. But by the time reviews come out, I'm sure they will be gone.

What do to.... what to do...:)

thanks for any advice!

We have 3 kids--now late teens and a young adult. We started cruising with them when they were younger. We always did the balcony with the kids across the hall in the inside. Though, I would choose a balcony room that is a bit bigger--for instance an extended aft balcony on deck 8 or 9 (those aren't havana category). We didn't have the family harbor option of course. I would like everything about them I think--except for the one bathroom. I also wonder if they would be better for a bit younger kids--yours might really make the room seem small since they are older.

Honest question but are kids even allowed to have their own room at those ages?

I think most get around that by putting Dad & a kid in one room, and Mom in a room with the other two. It's just on paper of course. Once on board the switch a roo occurs. I also read on another thread that leads me to believe that as long as it's not a balcony cabin they allow minors in a cabin by themselves as long as parents are nearby.

I booked a FH Cove, for Spring 2017 knowing full well of it's location. I am hoping that after it sails that those reporting back indicate that hopefully they did some additional soundproofing for those cabins. I think common sense would be to do so especially with locating premium cabins to house children in that area. Regardless, my family could sleep through a herd of stampeding elephants so I am not too concerned, at least not too concerned to book another location.

Honest question but are kids even allowed to have their own room at those ages?

As long as they are directly across the hall, yes.

I vote A. We always cruised like this with our kids and it was great. They LOVED their super dark interior room and we enjoyed a small bit of privacy.

I have the same problem. I tossed back and forth on what to do for a cabin. I like the FH Suites but hate the location. I have cruised some and I know the unwritten rule "Avoid rooms under the galley". So we decided to go with a balcony and a interior, it actually turned out to be the cheapest route.

Got luck making your decision. There is plusses and minuses to both scenario.

I can see pros & cons for both ways. The Coves on the Dream-class ships seem to be popular (galley noise issues aside), and the FH Suite is essentially an over-sized Cove. Plus, since it's a Suite, I believe it also comes with priority embarkation and disembarkation. But, having all 5 share 1 bathroom with the FH Suite, that could be a big con depending on your family.

• 4 weeks later...