Newbie questions about Explorer of the Seas

We're leaving Sydney for NZ on Explorer on 17 January and all are really looking forward to it. Can any members who have cruised on her in the past 2 months ex Sydney please offer any insightful tips for families cruising for the first time?

Now a couple of specific questions. I can book drinks and meals in Australian dollars before departure but these can also be booked on board but payable US dollars. For example the Royal Replenish package is AU$28 - is the onboard price US$28 or higher/lower? I can pay my onboard bill directly in USD so looking for the best deal here. Secondly, a previous post states that laundry is per kilo rather than per item but a picture in a review shows a per item price.

Anyhow, thanks to all for your Explorer contributions to CCritic as they really do help!

We were on the Explorer, for the December 2 sailing to New Zealand, and the Royal Replenish was $22 US dollars purchased on board. Laundry Prices were per bag( approx 30 USD for a small bag) and ironing was per item. We didn't use the laundry service.

We're leaving Sydney for NZ on Explorer on 17 January and all are really looking forward to it. Can any members who have cruised on her in the past 2 months ex Sydney please offer any insightful tips for families cruising for the first time?

Now a couple of specific questions. I can book drinks and meals in Australian dollars before departure but these can also be booked on board but payable US dollars. For example the Royal Replenish package is AU$28 - is the onboard price US$28 or higher/lower? I can pay my onboard bill directly in USD so looking for the best deal here. Secondly, a previous post states that laundry is per kilo rather than per item but a picture in a review shows a per item price.

Anyhow, thanks to all for your Explorer contributions to CCritic as they really do help!

It's less on board in USD but I think it is more favourable at the moment to book online in AUD.

Premium package is $57USD on board or $73AUD online, so that might give you an idea which would work out better :)

You won't miss the opportunity to buy them on board, you don't hear the end of packages for the first few days :rolleyes:

Unless you're drinking HEAPS of coffees it might work out cheaper to buy ala carte.

Also there's a soft drink package they don't push very much that only costs $8 per day if that's what you want.

They have a wash and fold bag offer for small items I think about $30, but they have a laundry service either wash and pressed, press only or dryclean all very reasonable rates, a mans suit is only about $9 US drycleaned a lot cheaper than Sydney prices, we take hubbies suit and send it to be drycleaned as soon as we see our cabin steward and it is back next day for formal night, we also send his jeans to be laundered for about $3-4 US. you can google their laundry prices. Robin:)

I just got off Explorer yesterday. We never used the laundry service so cant comment on that.

We bought the $8/day soda package for my son about a week into the cruise, and paid just for the remaining days.

Something I can highly recommend, is the speciality restaurants package. We paid $70 per person for dinner in all 3 speciality restaurants and they were amazing.

We have never bought any packages for drinks before as I did not see the value. I drink alot but still could not drink that amount of alcohol per day to cover the cost. (Remember on port days you still pay the daily rate but only use it at night when back on board) I just pay the bar prices for the drinks I buy.