Weather and dress for cruise from NYC in Feb

OttawaJohn

We just booked a cruise on the Breakaway for Feb 26, 2017 out of NYC to the Bahamas. (Yay!)

But we found ourselves wondering about the weather. As the username says, I'm from Ottawa, and I know NYC is around the same average weather as we get. And that can be pretty damn cold at the end of February.

Anyone done these type of cruises before? I guess you can't swim the day you board :) Are you having to wear jackets when going to dinner and on deck? How is this managed?

And how long into day 2 until you are warm? How fast do they motor to get to Orlando?

Thanks in advance for any info you all can share.

We just booked a cruise on the Breakaway for Feb 26, 2017 out of NYC to the Bahamas. (Yay!)

But we found ourselves wondering about the weather. As the username says, I'm from Ottawa, and I know NYC is around the same average weather as we get. And that can be pretty damn cold at the end of February.

Anyone done these type of cruises before? I guess you can't swim the day you board :) Are you having to wear jackets when going to dinner and on deck? How is this managed?

And how long into day 2 until you are warm? How fast do they motor to get to Orlando?

When I did the FL/Bahamas cruise on Breakaway, it was chilly on day 1, but there were still some crazy people in the (heated) pools/hot tubs. By mid afternoon on the second day (first sea day) it was in the upper 60's, and while I was perfectly happy to keep my jeans/tee shirt/light sweater on, my dd was perfectly happy to let loose on the slides and in the pool. I don't think you need a jacket on the first day when you go to dinner (although I always carry a sweater with me in case of cold air conditioning), but will need one if you plan on spending much time out on deck.

As far as motoring to get to orlando, I think we docked around noon and were off the ship around 1pm for our space center excursion (which I highly recommend).

Hope this helps. Happy cruising!

Unfortunately there are no set answers.

In 2014, we were without jackets during Monday evening (day 2), and wore tshirts and shorts until the end of that Friday (day 6). Then during the same week in 2015 it didn't get warm until we headed into Port Canaveral on Tuesday (day 3), it then returned to being cold and windy for the duration of the cruise, including the Bahamas.

The weather in NYC is usually warmer than here, today they are at 0C, but certainly not always much better.

We've done that cruise several times, normally the first day you're not out, but the second day is nice. We've also had one cruise where it was 6C and a windchill of -3 in Port Canaveral, so spent the day at Universal in winter coats, hats and gloves, which was no fun, but usually it's great weather once you hit South Carolina.

The pools are heated, so if it's not terribly cold there will people in them and the hot tubs.

Not sure if you're driving or flying, but we usually drive to Syracuse, park there for $5 for the whole time and take the train. The amount of time travelling is the same, and then you arrive at Penn station, and don't need to pay $50 a day for parking at the pier. Train is quite inexpensive and makes a much nicer ride into NYC. You will need one night at a hotel in Manhattan if you do that.

Enjoy your cruise!