Anthem North Star Going Over Side

We did North Star again today and I got the scoop on what is happening from one of the operators. On Monday it was open rides so no reservation was needed and they were doing the longer over the side ride since there wasn't long lines.

Today you required a reservation and they schedule 28 people per 30 minutes and must do two separate shorter rides to accommodate this number.

Maybe I don't get it, but to me this seems backwards. People that take the time to plan and make a reservation should get the longer rides then people that just walk up.

"glass enclosed smoker's area."

Whaat? How close is the smokers area? on starboard side? Enclosed, but can you still smell smoke?

PS - Thanks so much for the pics. It helps a lot. Now I have to worry about smokers??...lol:eek:

Cigarette smoke from that area wasn't a problem on our balcony as we were five decks above and being your cabin is almost directly above the smoke would be long dispersed even in a no wind situation which doesn't happen often on a cruise ship. Also that deck 5 enclosed smoking area wasn't used much and I can't recall seeing anyone using it but didn't really go there much and you couldn't see inside very well from our balcony.

The smokers preferred the deck 14 port side by the outdoor pool/hottub smoking area with its much better view and close bar, so that is an area to avoid. Down on deck 5 the smoking area is sandwiched between two lifeboats so has a poor view and the enclosure appears not to be very spacious.

Edited by robtulipe

Maybe I don't get it, but to me this seems backwards. People that take the time to plan and make a reservation should get the longer rides then people that just walk up.

Yes, you would think so but RCI are scheduling the reserve times only 15 minutes apart which only allows enough time for an up and down trip. They need to schedule at least 20 minutes between, 3 per hour instead of 4, to offer the over the side trip but this would be 25% less productive.

With the open rides the NS staff has some flexibility time wise to give the longer over the side ride if they are not busy as no one has fixed time slots they must honor or a schedule to adhere to. ;)