The Star for Spring Break with 10 and 6 year olds

amyh13

I am shopping for Spring Break Cruises and have several in mind. I REALLY want to do the Getaway. But having to fly to South Florida really adds to the total cost of the vacation. And we have been to many of the ports but I realize the ship is part of the destination for this one.

We live in Atlanta and have family in Orlando so we can drive and stay for free to many ports. I have looked at the Star. We could do a suite for less. We have done many of these ports too but my youngest wasn't born and my husband had a diving trip in Roatan canceled so he wants to go back.

My concern is the kids. They LOVE cruise ship water slides and from my research, there isn't anything for their age. No mini-golf? However, it is a port intensive cruise so not a lot of long sea days spent on the ship. And they typically love the kids programs so they will have fun with that.

Star - Mom/Dad happy, Getaway - Mom/Dad/kids happy, Mom/Dad - poor.

Any experience with this age?

We did that same cruise more than once with kids only slightly younger and they LOVED it. Espeically if you can get a suite- you should do it (all the reasons you mention were the ones we considered- flights were SO MUCH more to south FL over spring break, and the cost of the Star cruise was much lower.... plus we've gotten used to the Suite Life!)

The Star kids club remains my kid's favorite- they really liked the staff, the set up, everything. They also liked the kids pool aft- though it won't be much for your 10 year old.... your 6 year old will still probably get some fun out of it. Even the 10 year old might like the slide- it's certainly not big, but was actually fast compared to the SLOOOWWW slides on the Jewel class ships. There's a nice arcade with games, air hockey, etc.

We made the ports more "all about the kids" (swimming with manatees, sea lions, dolphins at Chankannab in Cozumel, Maya key for snorkeling in Roatan, snorkeling with rays and sharks in Belize, etc). Everyone had a great time.

I love The Star, but it is a small ship. We sailed her last summer and noted that we were happy we didn't bring my stepson because he wouldn't been bored stiff. The kids club and the kids pool area are from what we saw pretty much all they have for kids.

We sail out in February with our 4.5 and 6 year old. I'm concerned about there being enough to do for them but since we're actually only on the ship for 2 full days we think we'll have enough to do. I have high hopes there is a kid friendly show or something but I haven't read anything that has provided clarity on that issue. I like the idea of a smaller ship so it's a bit of a trade off.

Anyway, if you're leaving later than mid-February I'd be happy to report back.

We've done this Western Caribbean itinerary 3 times (Dawn, Star, and Sun- all small ships) over 3 years, with kids ages 4-9 over the three years. They were never bored. Again, we had a suite, so they had room to "spread out" in the suite, and on the balcony when needed- but they spent most of their time onboard in the main pool, the kids pool, the kids club, or the arcade. My daughter (the older of the two) went to some of the shows, but that wasn't my son's (or my husband's!) thing. The 2 most recent times they had that "kids circus performance" thing going on in the kids club, where they practice a circus skill during the week, and then do a performance on the last sea day. Both got a big kick out of that. They probably only spent an hour or two in the kids club each day but learned enough to participate in the show (and I heard there were kids who were there even less that were given something to do in the final show if they wanted). They perform on the main stage in the afternoon, and were really excited to do that.

I forgot to add...

they had a number "family friendly" things on sea days (lego contests, cupcake decorating, etc) as well.... and there's the sports court that we also used a lot.

Honestly after snorkeling/swimming all day in port the kids were pretty tired in the evenings- usually dinner, a "night swim" and maybe a small amount of time in the kids club was plenty for them (and us!!).

I forgot to add...

they had a number "family friendly" things on sea days (lego contests, cupcake decorating, etc) as well.... and there's the sports court that we also used a lot.

Honestly after snorkeling/swimming all day in port the kids were pretty tired in the evenings- usually dinner, a "night swim" and maybe a small amount of time in the kids club was plenty for them (and us!!).

Very useful information. I'll keep that in mind. It's just that when I am in lazy, vacation mode, my kids are usually entertained for hours with slides. While I sit there. And do nothing but wonder what frozen drink I'll have next. :D. They love all those types of activities. And would love the circus stuff.

We've taken our two on the Star, Dawn, and Gem, all similar ships, when they were 4 & 6, 6 & 8, 7 & 10, and 9 & 11. We're going to be on the Dawn again next year, at 10 & 13. We prefer not to fly to cruises, and those are the ships that have been in ports convenient to our home.

We all have a great time, and that's why we keep booking NCL's smaller ships. Both of them enjoy Splash Academy. They're also happy hanging out in the kids' pool area while their dad and/or I sit in the hot tub back there. (Edit to add: no drink service there, so you need to plan ahead.) Our excursions tend to be pretty active, so they're fine relaxing on the ship.

Definitely go for the suite! The extra space is great, and the option to dine in cabin is very convenient. We eat together some nights, and other nights we either have dinner delivered to the cabin for the kids, or they go to the buffet to eat. Then they (very happily) go to Splash Academy while we adults go to dinner alone. After dinner we check to see if they want to catch the show, but often they want to stay with their friends.

Edited by Pikaia

My kids have sailed twice: once on the Dawn (ages 14 and 13), once on the Star (ages 12 and 11). They have seen ads for the bigger ships and say they want to sail on one: the rock climbing wall, the huge slides, the rope course are all very attractive to my two active monkeys.

However, never once on either of our cruises did they ever:

complain about being bored

run out of things to do

express displeasure with the activities available to them

They are busy on board from the moment we get on to the moment we get off: in scheduled activities, kids club, playing on sports court, sneaking in a game of shuffleboard or chess with their dad, eating, playing ping pong on deck with new friends, etc. There is sooo much to do on board, we run out of time before we run out of stuff. And, once on board, they never ever seem to complain about not getting to rock climb.

The ports have plenty of options for activity (look at some of the beach getaways that have giant floaty beach toys for the kids while you lounge and sip).

Best of luck to you

I live in Athens, (UGA Spring break is March 6-11) and we are taking our family, which includes our 9 year old granddaughter. She has loved the the last 4 cruises on Carnival.

Mayve we can get the kids together!