WWYD, 2 rooms or 1?

CasaDeM

For about the same price we can get 1 balcony room or 2 ocean view rooms. We are a family of 4. DH and I like to stay up and have a couple of drinks to wind down while on vacation, which is why we were originally going to book the balcony room, but I just priced 2 connecting rooms and it's the same price as one.

Any thoughts? We've never cruised as a family. DH and I have cruised once pre-kids.

You don't say how old the kids are...but 4 people in a room is crowded, and more so if they are anything other than little. Yes, I once did 4 adults in a room, but it wouldn't be my choice.

We love the balcony, but connecting rooms will give you more privacy, 2 TVs, double the bathrooms, closet space, etc. For the same price, I'd be hard pressed to pay for a little balcony vs. an entire other room. I guess I'm in the connecting rooms club.

While we normally get balconies on other cruise lines, on DCL the price is so much more that we rarely go for it. We don't mind since the room size on DCL is so much bigger.

That being said, if you can get 2 connecting oceanviews for the same price as one balcony, I'd do that in a heartbeat! Although personally, if I had the choice, I'd do two cruises (back to back) with everyone in 1 oceanview for the same money. ;)

! Although personally, if I had the choice, I'd do two cruises (back to back) with everyone in 1 oceanview for the same money. ;)

Yes! Cruises usually too short and it takes time and money to get to and from port so two cruises B2B or even just 2 cruises would be first choice.

Second choice would be 2 oceanview rooms unless I had small children needing constant supervision. DH and I took our teen children on #30th anniversary cruise with kids in connecting cabin. We had family time and us time, Lovely!

A Balcony is nice depending on time of year but two rooms worth of space would win out.

I would be booking the two rooms. The balcony is nice, but the added privacy would be nicer. We have done this, and were able to prop the doors open a bit so that we could still hear the kids.

If you have a baby monitor, you can put that in the kid's room. Works great for short distances.

I took my daughter's family on a Disney cruise. We could have had a family balcony that would sleep five for the same price as two ocean views. We chose the connecting ocean views so that we could have two bathrooms and if the baby (the grandkids were 2 and 7 at the time) needed to sleep, we could go into the adjourning cabin. We were glad we did it that way.

I can tell you that we were a family of five and two oceanview rooms felt spacious - we didn't even really use all the extra space, although it was appreciated. We're doing our first single oceanview room this October and are nervous because we've been spoiled! ;-)

I can tell you that we were a family of five and two oceanview rooms felt spacious - we didn't even really use all the extra space, although it was appreciated. We're doing our first single oceanview room this October and are nervous because we've been spoiled! ;-)

But as a family of 5, you must be on one of the newer ships (they don't have oceanview cabins that hold 5 on the classics) and your room will be bigger than the standard oceanview.