help with air: first-time Serenade cruiser (Baltics, May2016)

Myself, DH and DS23 and DS14 are on the May 29 Serenade from Copenhagen. I'm looking at flights now from Austin to Copenhagen. As of today, RCCL's Air2Sea (aka Choice Air) is the best price and the best flight times (by a couple of hundred $$ per person) on British Airways. We plan to fly out on May 27 and arrive in Copenhagen on May 28, spend one night in a hotel, and the cruise leaves on May 29. (Coming back, we'll spend a couple of extra nights in Copenhagen.)

We have never flown overseas before and rarely fly inside the U.S. This will be our fourth cruise and we always go in the day before. I've read good and bad about RCCL's Air, but with the better price, good flight times, plus arriving the day before the cruise leaves, I am feeling less nervous about this.

Can you experienced RCCL Air users, Texas to Copenhagen flyers, etc. give me some info on what details I need to check before booking? When I logged into Air2Sea, I was able to see the specific flights and the box where you can "select a seat" but it came up with "contact the airline." So, I'm assuming that if we book through RCCL, I'll get some confirming info with BA, and then handle seat assignments, etc. directly with BA.

Do I have that right? Anything I'm missing? Thanks!!

When you book with Air2Sea, they will give you the airline's record locator number. You use that number on the airline's website to pick your seats.

However, the last time I booked an Air2Sea flight on BA, the type of fare that Air2Sea chose did not allow me to select a seat on BA. I would have had to wait until 24 hours before the flight to select seats. I ultimately cancelled that cruise, so I never took the flight. So I would call Air2Sea about the BA flight you are considering, and ask them about the seat selection policy on that flight.

Myself, DH and DS23 and DS14 are on the May 29 Serenade from Copenhagen. I'm looking at flights now from Austin to Copenhagen. As of today, RCCL's Air2Sea (aka Choice Air) is the best price and the best flight times (by a couple of hundred $$ per person) on British Airways. We plan to fly out on May 27 and arrive in Copenhagen on May 28, spend one night in a hotel, and the cruise leaves on May 29. (Coming back, we'll spend a couple of extra nights in Copenhagen.)

We have never flown overseas before and rarely fly inside the U.S. This will be our fourth cruise and we always go in the day before. I've read good and bad about RCCL's Air, but with the better price, good flight times, plus arriving the day before the cruise leaves, I am feeling less nervous about this.

Can you experienced RCCL Air users, Texas to Copenhagen flyers, etc. give me some info on what details I need to check before booking? When I logged into Air2Sea, I was able to see the specific flights and the box where you can "select a seat" but it came up with "contact the airline." So, I'm assuming that if we book through RCCL, I'll get some confirming info with BA, and then handle seat assignments, etc. directly with BA.

Do I have that right? Anything I'm missing? Thanks!!

We have used the air program lots of times with different cruise lines and not had problems. After booking thru the cruise line, we go to the airline web site, with our confirmation number and can pick our seats. We are going to Copenhagen this August and when we went in to pick seats, we decided to do Delta Comfort for only $99 each. Thought it would be worth that much for more room on a long flight, and better snacks etc.

Bob, I think you were right. While logged in to Air2Sea, the seat selection for BA said to contact the carrier, but for other airlines, the map of the plane came up and you could select specific seats. Given that four of us are traveling, I didn't want to bank on being able to get 4 seats together only 24 hours ahead of the flight ... so I ended up booking on Scandinavia Air. It was a little more expensive, but the flight times are good and I've selected our specific seats.

Thanks for the replies.

• 3 weeks later...