Help Gem out of NY or Getaway out of Miami

49erfan007

We are planning a family cruise for next March. It would be my DH, DD, and Me in one cabin, my DS, his wife, and their baby in another and my DD, her hubby, and their baby in a third. We can't decide if it would be better to sail out of NY (we live in CT), or fly to Miami. I have never been on either ship, but am sailing the Gem in 6 days. I want to purchase a cruise-next cert, and book while I am my Gem cruise, any advice or comparisons would be helpful. I realize that they are two different ships, but it's a hard decision. posatvies/negatives of both from experienced cruisers

When you say "baby" I am assuming that your grandkids are infants or toddlers. Based on that, I personally would do Gem out of NY just to avoid the hassle of flying with small kids. I sail Breakaway and Getaway with my tween dd because she needs all of those bells and whistles (slides, ropes course, rock climbing, etc.), but without a kid in tow that cares about that stuff I'd be more inclined to sail a smaller ship and certainly out of my home port of NY. (Having sailed Breakaway out of NY, I can't tell you how much I love disembarking and being home shortly thereafter without having airport travel ruin my relaxed vacation vibe!)

Do I like the bigger ships? Sure - I love the dining options and entertainment. But many of those options are on the smaller ships, too. As long as you are happy with the Gem when you are on it next week, I would book that one again for your March trip. If you prefer variety and flights etc with young kids doesn't bother you, the Breakaway class ships (like Getaway) are great so go for it. It's all about what is most important to you. I can't tell you what to do - only what I would do in your shoes.

I haven't been on the Gem, but my parents have sailed her several times and loved it. Enjoy both your upcoming trips, whichever you choose!

When you say "baby" I am assuming that your grandkids are infants or toddlers. Based on that, I personally would do Gem out of NY just to avoid the hassle of flying with small kids. I sail Breakaway and Getaway with my tween dd because she needs all of those bells and whistles (slides, ropes course, rock climbing, etc.), but without a kid in tow that cares about that stuff I'd be more inclined to sail a smaller ship and certainly out of my home port of NY. (Having sailed Breakaway out of NY, I can't tell you how much I love disembarking and being home shortly thereafter without having airport travel ruin my relaxed vacation vibe!)

Do I like the bigger ships? Sure - I love the dining options and entertainment. But many of those options are on the smaller ships, too. As long as you are happy with the Gem when you are on it next week, I would book that one again for your March trip. If you prefer variety and flights etc with young kids doesn't bother you, the Breakaway class ships (like Getaway) are great so go for it. It's all about what is most important to you. I can't tell you what to do - only what I would do in your shoes.

I haven't been on the Gem, but my parents have sailed her several times and loved it. Enjoy both your upcoming trips, whichever you choose!

Wow, great point, I didn't even think of that. Yes they a 4 and 6 months old now, so that would be a huge pita....I guess decision is made, lol thanks