Will we like the NCL Getaway?

Pandabear90

It is my gf and I and we are in our mid 20's. We have no real reason of trying NCL, only because of maybe Itinerary or whatever and just curiosity of online browsing.

We have only been on 2 past Royal Caribbean cruises, the Liberty and Oasis. We love the activities that Royal Caribbean offers and pretty much everything. We like the food in the dining room, the shows and entertainment provided every night...etc.

Does the NCL Getaway provide the same experience or is it different?

If so, can you guys please let me know your personal experience with NCL Getaway** and the difference between the two?!

I was recently on the Independence of the Seas (sister ship to Liberty).

The Getaway has a very Miami vibe/scene to it. Lots of Latin dance music.

We enjoyed the pool areas of the Indy more than the Getaway. But we enjoyed the entertainment of the Getaway more. It has Broadway shows, dueling pianos, more dance music, more bars.

We did not eat in the main dining room on the Getaway, only specialty dining as we had that as a freestyle choice, so I can't really compare that.

I did like the Promenade on the Indy which the Getaway does not have.

I think you will enjoy the Getaway!

I was recently on the Independence of the Seas (sister ship to Liberty).

The Getaway has a very Miami vibe/scene to it. Lots of Latin dance music.

We enjoyed the pool areas of the Indy more than the Getaway. But we enjoyed the entertainment of the Getaway more. It has Broadway shows, dueling pianos, more dance music, more bars.

We did not eat in the main dining room on the Getaway, only specialty dining as we had that as a freestyle choice, so I can't really compare that.

I did like the Promenade on the Indy which the Getaway does not have.

I think you will enjoy the Getaway!

Thanks for your input but isn't the shows all extra cost on NCL

Thanks for your input but isn't the shows all extra cost on NCL

Not usually.

Piano Bars, Comedy Clubs, Theater entertainment, those are all free.

The Dine-&-See thing where you eat and watch Cirque de Soeli or something has an extra fee.

We're long time RCI cruisers - diamond level now. We've also cruised on NCL, Princess and Carnival. I find the following with NCL compared to RCI

1. Food is better overall IMO. Certainly the food choices are more than what you'll get on an Indy class ship.

2. Service on NCL ships tends to be a focus, or at least it has been on the cruises I've done on them. Lately on RCI service tends to be something they are not as focused on as they have been in the past.

3. Entertainment on NCL and RCI tends to be equal although I'll say this much, on our last 2 RCI cruises we found the entertainment to be really lacking.

4. Top level entertainers - equal I would say.

5. Ship amenities - they are comparable.

Overall, I think you'll rather enjoy NCL. Its very comparable to RCI and in many cases better.

The only show that was not free was Illusionarium, the magic show while you dine. The other shows [...] were all free!

There is another for-fee entertainment option too, The Wine Lovers Musical, that includes lunch and wine tasting.

My first (and only) cruise was the Getaway, so I can't really compare for you, however, I think you will absolutely love the Getaway! I just went on it with my boyfriend, I'm in my 20s, he is in his 30s. We had the most amazing time!

The buffet was delicious and the 3 complimentary dinner places (Tropicana Room, Savor, and Taste) were amazing. They really take the time to present the food in a high quality way. There is also a ton of variety depending on what you like to eat.

As for the entertainment, there is so much to do on the Getaway that we didn't do half of all that we wanted to. The shows were great. Burn the Floor was awesome and it was cool to see the dancers around the ship during the cruise. The Dueling Piano bar was my absolute favorite! I went every night...the guys were so funny!

Ask my any questions...I'm still fresh off the ship and am happy to settled your nerves about making the right decision.