Additional Occupancy Waiver for Infant

MissyF3486

I spoke with an MSC representative on the phone earlier, and I was asking after a cruise on the Seaside. I mentioned that I had a family of 5 and assumed we would be forced into an expensive suite or possibly even two staterooms. HOWEVER, the rep said that because one in our party is an infant, we could book ANY stateroom that holds 4 pax, and that the cruise line would email me a wavier and the 5th pax (since it's an infant under 2), would be allowed in the room. The infant would only pay port fees.

I thought this was an awesome deal and I posted it to the Family Cruising board. A reply on the family board said that this was not legal by US Coast Guard regulations, and that it's possible that MSC, being a non-US line, may be unknowingly promoting an option that isn't allowed?

Does anyone have any experiences with these waivers, or have been allowed by a cruise line (any line) to put 5 pax in a cabin for 4, if one is an infant?

Thanks so much!

I haven't head this before, but I'm sure MSC knows what they are doing.

That comment comes up frequently on the family board in response to people complaining about needing to book a second cabin or family suite when traveling with 3 kids. I think this is based upon the idea that the ship has a totally occupancy limit, no doubt linked to the number of life boats and other capabilities of the ship. However, I'm sure any of the cruise companies can track total occupancy on a ship without resorting to limiting the sum of the berths to that number.

You have plenty of time to cancel, and I assume the deposit is still only $200 ($250 for 5?) on Seaside. Book and get a copy of the form. It it doesn't look legit and professional, then maybe reconsider.

BTW, kids are generally 'free' on MSC, until age 14 I believe. We find it to be a heck of a deal with 2 kids, but you're really leveraging your travel dollar!