seeing New Orleans by streetcar

peggyo

We will be sailing in a couple of weeks out of New Orleans. This will be our first time there and are taking a day to see a few sights. We are seniors with walking problems so my idea is to ride streetcars to see some of the city.

My question is, will we be able to see some of the touristy things this way? We just can't walk distances so can jump off and walk a bit and get back on.

Is one line better than the other? We are interested in seeing some of Bourbon street and Café DuMond.

We will be sailing in a couple of weeks out of New Orleans. This will be our first time there and are taking a day to see a few sights. We are seniors with walking problems so my idea is to ride streetcars to see some of the city.

My question is, will we be able to see some of the touristy things this way? We just can't walk distances so can jump off and walk a bit and get back on.

Is one line better than the other? We are interested in seeing some of Bourbon street and Café DuMond.

I just spent 2 weeks in New Orleans and loved it. I am also a senior, don't have walking problems but can't walk too far. I did ride the streetcar (the St. Charles line) back and forth to see some of the city but the best thing you can do is to take a tour. I took a New Orleans and Katrina tour that was wonderful and gave a birds eye view of the entire city. The tours are the way to go for an overview of this wonderful city. Ask at your hotel or there are lots of tour operators around the city. You can take a city tour, a garden district tour, a cemetery tour, a food tour, the possibilities are endless. I would recommend that over riding the streetcar.

Enjoy, Sue

Does anyone know the cost of the street car?

We will be on the Canal Street line for one night. I think this might be a good way to get to a restaurant for dinner. Although my mother is a spry 77, she does have distance limits.

Thanks. J

The streetcars will provide you a great mode of transportation, but not necessarily a great tour of the city. You can take the St. Charles line Uptown and through the Garden District and see some amazing homes. We also have a Hop On Hop Off bus that is a great way to see the City. Depending on where you are staying, a lot of things are in walking distance to the French Quarter. New Orleans is smaller than most people realize. I also agree that tours give you a good overview of the City.

Not sure what your interests are, but the World War II Museum is amazing. The restaurants are plentiful and the food amazing. If you like architecture, the French Quarter as well as the homes I mentioned above are definitely a must.

Enjoy our unique City!

• 3 weeks later...