Help me decide Cruise or the World

surran12

We ( myself, DW, DS 8,DD basically 5)have had a Disney World trip planned since June when we bought resale into DVC. We will be staying at the Polynesian for 8 nights/7 days late Saturday night arrival until the following Sunday morning. The plan is 5 park days 2@MK & 1 each at the others. We would also do 2 resort/relaxing days Tuesday and Saturday to not wear ourselves out. My wife is a doctor and works extremely hard and is getting pretty burnt out and could use some relaxing.

We have done a 7 night cruise this past April on the Fantasy and we overwhelming loved it. I am seeing (what I think is) a great Oceanview guarantee rate for 5 nights on the Magic western Caribbean for 2200 taxes and fees included. The cruise would go from Sunday-Friday. I would keep the last 2 days booked at the Polynesian and maybe do a park Friday afternoon/night or Saturday all day. We would keep our plane tickets into MCO and just use the car we are renting anyway and drive to/from Miami. I can still Bank my other points for the nights I would be cancelling so I wouldn't lose those.

My son who is the only one I have asked so far is choosing the cruise. Am I crazy to switch or does it sound more relaxing to do the cruise with a couple of nights at Disney after to you all. Thanks for any advice and helping me think this through. :rolleyes:

I'd do the cruise in a heartbeat. We like the parks but we LOVE the cruise. And I joke that in the parks, Mom is still on duty. On the cruise, Mom is on vacation too.

Honestly, I'd skip the parks when you go back to WDW. There is plenty to do at WDW without buying overpriced single day tickets and driving yourself crazy trying to do it all in a day or two. We have DVC and love the resorts. If you decide to skip the parks, you might look at moving your DVC stay to Animal Kingdom Lodge--the animals are great fun for kids without paying for park tickets. Consider doing one of the water parks (they both have kid appropriate areas) or the new Springs area at Downtown Disney. DVC also has activities at the resorts--craft type stuff during the day and movies by the pool at night. Some have a minimal fee.

I'm guessing that your plane tickets are non-refundable...because it would be a whole lot easier to fly into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale to catch the cruise. You could then do a one way car rental and drive to Orlando. This would work if you happened to be flying Southwest. Probably not on other airlines. Still, flying into MCO and driving the 4 hours to Miami isn't horrible.

Either plan is OK, but I find the cruise a lot more relaxing.

I think you need to ask your wife. Since you said this vacation is for her to relax, see what she would enjoy most. I would agree that while they are both fun, a cruise is more relaxing. We are always go go go at the parks and end up exhausted (but happy) at the end of our trip. We are always able to relax on a cruise, because even if we are active in port, once we get back onboard everything slows down again and we are served a nice dinner and go to a great show in the theatre.

If you decide to go to WDW for those 2 days and don't want to go into the parks, I highly recommend the Beach Club/Yacht Club resort, because of their fabulous Stormalong Bay pool complex. It would be easy to spend the day hanging out at the pool and having lunch at Beaches & Cream, then spending the evening at the Boardwalk.

I greatly appreciate the replies. Still waiting to ask her, but I was curious if on a 5 night cruise if there is a formal dinner or is it just optional and if it is optional would you guess more would opt in or out? I don't mind dressing up but if more people won't then I figure I may as well save on the luggage space.

I greatly appreciate the replies. Still waiting to ask her, but I was curious if on a 5 night cruise if there is a formal dinner or is it just optional and if it is optional would you guess more would opt in or out? I don't mind dressing up but if more people won't then I figure I may as well save on the luggage space.

A quick search on the disneycruiselineblog navigator page brings up a December 13, 5 night cruise from Miami.

There is an Optional Dress Up night.

As to what percentage of Guests will dress up is anyones guess.

Dress as you feel comfortable within what DCL asks.

ex techie

My son who is the only one I have asked so far is choosing the cruise. Am I crazy to switch or does it sound more relaxing to do the cruise with a couple of nights at Disney after to you all. Thanks for any advice and helping me think this through. :rolleyes:

Personally I would do the cruise, and not tell the kids about the parks, but stay at the Poly and see how you all feel about the parks once it's over.

You may all be so exhausted or feel too relaxed to want to go and just enjoy the facilities there.

ex techie

Personally I would do the cruise, and not tell the kids about the parks, but stay at the Poly and see how you all feel about the parks once it's over.

You may all be so exhausted or feel too relaxed to want to go and just enjoy the facilities there.

ex techie

I just went ahead and paid for the cruise so we are locked into that option now. But I definitely like the plan of just playing up the hotel and pool and not talking about the parks.

If you decide to go to WDW for those 2 days and don't want to go into the parks, I highly recommend the Beach Club/Yacht Club resort, because of their fabulous Stormalong Bay pool complex. It would be easy to spend the day hanging out at the pool and having lunch at Beaches & Cream, then spending the evening at the Boardwalk.

Beach Club is a great place, but call ASAP. It is difficult to get a DVC spot there as they are not very numerous. That said, we booked one location but waitlisted Beach Club and it did come thru for us.

Very few people really go formal. Most make an effort at dressing up.

Edited by moki'smommy

The cruise will be more relaxing for you. We love the

Poly, however, it will be very difficult not to go to the park. First, you can see the castle from the beach and second the monorail goes by every few minutes. You can watch the fireworks and light parade from the Poly on Friday night. They also have movies on the beach. Saturday morning, hit the Magic Kingdom early and the kids will be wiped out by lunch and you can relax at the Poly.

I think even though the kids can see the castle and monorail, "if "they make a fuss about not going to the parks, a quick kick in the ass of "you've just been on a Disney cruise" is quite appropriate!

ex techie

Haha I love it. Thankfully my kids LOVE pools so I think that will suffice and if not we can head to Disney Springs for a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...