Child Proofing Hallway Door

fdwt994

The only problem with the bell idea is that, for some 3 yo, it may serve to increase their interest in the door, that might have been of no interest without the bells, lol. I like the portable alarm, locks, etc. thank you for those who posted, I wouldn't have known those existed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's highly possible that blocking an exit would be against fire code. If a cabin steward saw it, he/she might tell you that the table or chair had to be moved. Of course, what they don't see/know.............. hmmm... ;)

Anyway, I would certainly have a back up plan (or two) in place just in case that happens. If you trust the alarm idea, then great. If that spooks you in any way, I would consider changing the sleeping arrangements. Just a suggestion....not 'parenting advice'.....

Edited by rgmacm

I only did this at night after he fell asleep, we didn't leave that way the entire time.

It's highly possible that blocking an exit would be against fire code. If a cabin steward saw it, he/she might tell you that the table or chair had to be moved. Of course, what they don't see/know.............. hmmm... ;)

Anyway, I would certainly have a back up plan (or two) in place just in case that happens. If you trust the alarm idea, then great. If that spooks you in any way, I would consider changing the sleeping arrangements. Just a suggestion....not 'parenting advice'.....

Worked for us but we waited to slide each night after he had fallen asleep.

The only problem with the bell idea is that, for some 3 yo, it may serve to increase their interest in the door, that might have been of no interest without the bells, lol. I like the portable alarm, locks, etc. thank you for those who posted, I wouldn't have known those existed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly. Sit them down when you first get to the room and explain the rules and gasp consequences. A 3 year old is old enough to be told.

Pretty sure that's an obvious step but with stakes as high as your child's safety, I'd take additional measures. Perfect example of better safe than sorry.

Is it just me but does it seem too risky to leave 3 year olds in their own room. I probably would never sleep with worry.

I know I wouldn't do it. If it was our family, I would book a 4 person cabin so I could be in the same room.

If I recall correctly, the doors have an additional security measure at the top of the door that you swing over and it will prevent the door from opening very far. I'm not sure if it opens wide enough for a toddler to squeeze through....

GT

I would be concerned that while the entire child might not fit through, fingers, a hand, or even an arm would fit through. Then if the kid lets go of the heavy door and it swings shut...

LuckyZ that was my thoughts too, why would you put 3yr olds in a separate room. If you don't want them with you all the time then hire a sitter and leave them at home don't put them on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean and hope they can't open their door....I just don't understand this situation at all.....maybe I am missing something.

LuckyZ that was my thoughts too, why would you put 3yr olds in a separate room. If you don't want them with you all the time then hire a sitter and leave them at home don't put them on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean and hope they can't open their door....I just don't understand this situation at all.....maybe I am missing something.

I'm sure if the kids do try and open the door - which I find it difficult to do sometimes myself and I'm MUCH older than 3 years old - then one parent will stay in the room with them.

I'm sorry, but I don't get all this talk about them being in a room that has the inside doors OPEN at night giving full and immediate access to the children by the parents. They are not in a room across the hall or next door with no internal way if getting to them. Do you think they don't have their own rooms at home? I bet they do and are probably further away from their parents there then they will be on the ship.

I see no need to question their parenting capabilities. OP came on here asking for ideas from people that may have been in the same situation. If they want to pay for 2 rooms, then by all means, let them. They have already booked so let them be.

I can't believe the tone some people take on here. If you don't have any ideas to assist them, then move on. They didn't ask for people's opinions on IF they should put their kids in an adjoining room with the 2 doors WIDE open at all times. They asked how to keep them safe from going out in the hall which they could just as easily do if they were in the same room as their parents. Perhaps they wouldn't have been judged so harshly if they would have left out the adjoining room part and just asked how to keep them from fiddling with the door at night. :rolleyes:

Yes you are missing something but don't know what it is:D

I'm sure if the kids do try and open the door - which I find it difficult to do sometimes myself and I'm MUCH older than 3 years old - then one parent will stay in the room with them.

I'm sorry, but I don't get all this talk about them being in a room that has the inside doors OPEN at night giving full and immediate access to the children by the parents. They are not in a room across the hall or next door with no internal way if getting to them. Do you think they don't have their own rooms at home? I bet they do and are probably further away from their parents there then they will be on the ship.

I see no need to question their parenting capabilities. OP came on here asking for ideas from people that may have been in the same situation. If they want to pay for 2 rooms, then by all means, let them. They have already booked so let them be.

I can't believe the tone some people take on here. If you don't have any ideas to assist them, then move on. They didn't ask for people's opinions on IF they should put their kids in an adjoining room with the 2 doors WIDE open at all times. They asked how to keep them safe from going out in the hall which they could just as easily do if they were in the same room as their parents. Perhaps they wouldn't have been judged so harshly if they would have left out the adjoining room part and just asked how to keep them from fiddling with the door at night. :rolleyes:

1. I guess I am questioning their parental capabilities

2. When you ask for opinions, you're going to get them. And mine is "don't do it" (adjoining room or not)

PS mykindaparty - thanks for bringing up the idea that most parents do with young kids in same situation is bring a babysitter with you on vacation if you don't want your kids with you at all times

Edited by LuckyZ

2. When you ask for opinions, you're going to get them. And mine is "don't do it" (adjoining room or not)

PS mykindaparty - thanks for bringing up the idea that most parents do with young kids in same situation is bring a babysitter with you on vacation if you don't want your kids with you at all times

I highly doubt that your opinion about sleeping arrangements (which actually wasn't asked for) will be taken into consideration at all. This isn't a parenting forum. And thankfully so. I'm beginning to think that there are some serious helicopter parents here. There is a difference between asking a question of a "What can I do in case they try and get out" scenario as opposed to "Hey, last cruise my kids were running up and down the hall at 2AM because they got out and now we're putting them in their own room again".

There could be a lot of different reasons why they want 2 rooms and I'm betting that it's not because they don't want to be around them all the time.

You do not need to sleep practically on top of your kids to make sure nothing happens, and even if you do, it's not going to guarantee they won't get out while you both are dead asleep.

OP knows their children way better than anyone here. And if they are comfortable with them in the adjoining room with the door open at night, then that's all that matters.

Now if anyone else has any ideas to keep them from opening the cabin door whether they are in the same room as a parent or not I'm sure they will appreciate it. Let's get back to their question now, please.

The OP didn't ask for opinions on adjoining rooms. He asked for ideas on baby-proofing the door to the hallway.

Your post is way too reasonable, I'm not sure many on here could grasp it based on some of the ridiculous posts I have seen. I guess at home most of these parents share a room with their kids? I know I don't. I love how when people say anything about their kids being separate it turns into "they don't want to spend time with their children". It is complete and total nonsense. :rolleyes: smh

I highly doubt that your opinion about sleeping arrangements (which actually wasn't asked for) will be taken into consideration at all. This isn't a parenting forum. And thankfully so. I'm beginning to think that there are some serious helicopter parents here. There is a difference between asking a question of a "What can I do in case they try and get out" scenario as opposed to "Hey, last cruise my kids were running up and down the hall at 2AM because they got out and now we're putting them in their own room again".

There could be a lot of different reasons why they want 2 rooms and I'm betting that it's not because they don't want to be around them all the time.

You do not need to sleep practically on top of your kids to make sure nothing happens, and even if you do, it's not going to guarantee they won't get out while you both are dead asleep.

OP knows their children way better than anyone here. And if they are comfortable with them in the adjoining room with the door open at night, then that's all that matters.

Now if anyone else has any ideas to keep them from opening the cabin door whether they are in the same room as a parent or not I'm sure they will appreciate it. Let's get back to their question now, please.

Your post is way too reasonable, I'm not sure many on here could grasp it based on some of the ridiculous posts I have seen. I guess at home most of these parents share a room with their kids? I know I don't. I love how when people say anything about their kids being separate it turns into "they don't want to spend time with their children". It is complete and total nonsense. :rolleyes: smh

Some answers here are ridiculous and don't answer what the OP asked. They booked connecting cabins so the kids could sleep and parents can watch tv or talk without waking them. What is so different than at home? I hardly think having the kids in the parent's room sleeping is quality time while the parents are trying to be quiet so as not to wake them. 2 cabins is a win win:)

Exactly. Giving friendly advice is one thing, but some folks on here are just over the top in their criticism.

Some answers here are ridiculous and don't answer what the OP asked. They booked connecting cabins so the kids could sleep and parents can watch tv or talk without waking them. What is so different than at home? I hardly think having the kids in the parent's room sleeping is quality time while the parents are trying to be quiet so as not to wake them. 2 cabins is a win win:)

As an aside, I would be pretty hesitant to bar an escape door in any situation but there are a few things a parent can do. Just bring a roll of painters tape and tape over the security lock (and yes they are on all cabin doors). And bring a bell on a rope and drape it over the door handle. Unless the parents are notoriously sound sleepers the bell will tell them when their toddler is messing with the door and the tape is hard enough for adults to remove in a hurry, never mind little fingers.

Always use the entry door into the adult cabin...don't enter and exit through the childrens' door. Give the steward a heads up and ask them to service the childs' room through the connecting door. If children don't realize the function of the door they may not connect it with an easy escape route.

Well really you will have to worry about both doors since your joining door will always be open. I really don't see you having issues, unless you have children who just run away from you now. What about putting your suitcase in front of the door with a strings of bells. Your child would have to move that and you would hear it. Another idea is baby monitors.

Beside some kind of alarm/bells as suggested by others my suggestion would be never to use that door. Maybe one of you can go to the cabins without the kids and get everything done before the kids arrival. That way they might never think about that door being an exit to the hallway. If they see that the door is being blocked (eg. back closet door, table) that might it self wake their curiosity.

Have a great cruise :)

I LOVE this. Along with the helpful "mechanical" suggestions (almost) everyone has given, we will definitely do this. My kids are obedient (for a typical 3-year old) but also curious. Our 7-year old will also be in the room with them and he's pretty good at letting us know when the girls are up to no good!

We're really looking forward to this vacation and figured two connecting rooms would give us the best of both worlds- two bathrooms, extra floor space for the kids to play, and additional sleeping options for whoever. My Parents will be in the next door cabin as well. Although big brother has cruised before, the girls haven't and I can't wait to see the look on their faces when we enter the ship for the first time!

BTW, at the time of booking two connecting OV's cost less than a suite. That's why we went this route for the five of us. One OV for five people is too tight for us.

Thanks to those of you who answered my questions, much appreciated!

Edited by fdwt994

Hello,

Before the Forum Police school me, I did search the forums but only found a couple of ideas...

My family and I are travelling with connecting OV staterooms. The plan is to put the kids in one room, my Wife and I in the other. Our concern is how to child proof the stateroom hallway door in order to prevent adventurous 3-year old twins from opening it in the middle of the night. We'll keep the connecting doors open but I still want to be able to prevent the kids from opening the stateroom door. I know the doors are heavy, but you would not believe what these girls are capable of!

Anyway, if anyone has any advice how to child-proof the door with mechanical devices, etc, I'm all ears.

Also, any other thoughts about child proofing the stateroom would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Duct tape and bailing wire works for anything.