NCL doc in Roatan??

Frenchsnowhite

The two times we were there we docked (we were on the DAWN). There is only room for one ship at the dock. There was one other ship there in November (NCL JADE), the people on the JADE tendered.

We booked Maya Key and used the beach there. I don't know if there are any beaches close to the dock.

When I was there last April, we docked at the city dock downtown Coxen Hole. I've docked there each time I've been to Roatan, and there is a relatively new port built to replace what used to be nothing. Personally I would take an organized tour to West Bay, or West End beaches. I would be very careful leaving the confines of the Port.;)

I was wondering about this as well. I have been reading a lot on this site that Norwegian ships always dock at Coxen Hole. But today I was looking on the NCL website, and under Roatan information it says:

Port Name & Location

Mahogany Bay Cruise Center

Ship will DOCK at this port.

Has anyone been to Roatan recently with NCL and docked at Mahogany Bay?

I was wondering about this as well. I have been reading a lot on this site that Norwegian ships always dock at Coxen Hole. But today I was looking on the NCL website, and under Roatan information it says:

Port Name & Location

Why not start a thread specific to this question instead of it being mixed in with this one?

I went to Roatan last month on the Jade. Only the Dawn had permission to dock, but we got there first, so they gave us an hour to walk off before we had to leave to anchor at sea & tender in. We walked off at 6:45am. It was great, but even tendering wasn't bad there, since the Jade uses its own lifeboats instead of local boats. They were fast. But by walking off so early, we got an extra 2 hours in Roatan!

Edited by pookeysmom

You will dock on the south side of the island and when you disembark go out of the facility and there are many taxis/tours tell them you want to go to West Bay Beach and pay no more than $20 a person and they will stay with you for the day and make sure you get back in time. You may need it as several places have 2 for $5 rum punches and they hold nothing back lol.

I took a pic of my wife in the water and everyone thinks it is a swimming pool so clear and relaxing. CNN had it as a top pic for 3 months on their travel site click or copy and paste below and see the pic - it is the second one.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/20/travel/ireport-beaches/index.html

When you go to this beach you go over their little mountains and can even stop and zip line down from the top to the beach. Also Google west bay beach Roatan and you will find it to be one of the most gorgeous beaches in the Carrbbean.

Port Name & Location

We were scheduled to dock at Mahogany Bay once as Celebrity had the dock at Coxen Hole. At Mahogany Bay due to the way the docks are the captain has to back into the channel. This is often missed if wind is there as it's too dangerous.

We dropped anchor at Coxen Hole and tendered in.

We went to Bananarama on the other side of the island and enjoyed the beach there immensely! It was maybe a 10 minute ride at most. The water was beautiful and if you swim out far enough you can snorkle.

Oooo thank you! I'm planning to go there.

I did in the Roatan forum. No one had responded yet when I seen this thread so I didn't think it would hurt to post it in here as well.

I'm glad you asked!

Edited by Vacationdreamer<><

You will dock on the south side of the island and when you disembark go out of the facility and there are many taxis/tours tell them you want to go to West Bay Beach and pay no more than $20 a person and they will stay with you for the day and make sure you get back in time. You may need it as several places have 2 for $5 rum punches and they hold nothing back lol.

I took a pic of my wife in the water and everyone thinks it is a swimming pool so clear and relaxing. CNN had it as a top pic for 3 months on their travel site click or copy and paste below and see the pic - it is the second one.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/20/travel/ireport-beaches/index.html

When you go to this beach you go over their little mountains and can even stop and zip line down from the top to the beach. Also Google west bay beach Roatan and you will find it to be one of the most gorgeous beaches in the Carrbbean.

Excellent picture!!! WTG!

We went to Bananarama on the other side of the island and enjoyed the beach there immensely! It was maybe a 10 minute ride at most. The water was beautiful and if you swim out far enough you can snorkle.

We've been to Bananarama also. It's a little crowded but beautiful!