need help deciding where to stay the night before in Galveston TX

notredamegirl

Hi I just booked a cruise in November... I'm already feeling overwhelmed lol. I can't figure out where to stay. There is 5 of us 3 kids ages 15,12,11 and 2 adults. I also can't decide what to do for transportation from Houston to Galveston if anyone has suggestion that would be awesome!:D

We just got back from a cruise on the Magic. We stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites on Central City Blvd. It was very nice with all the benefits of a HI. It is also across the street from a Walmart if you need to pick up anything.

As for transportation I would look at a car service. It will probably cost you about $140 plus tip. But after a log flight and with that many people it will be worth it.

Try dinner at the Cajun Greek the food is outstanding. They just expanded as it use to be really hard to get in and it looks like they added delivery. So if you don't want to go over you can order up. It is almost walking distance from the hotel, but we had a car so we drove.

There is also a deli in the Walmart parking lot. My brother ate there and said it was good.

I believe the HI has a shuttle to the ships. Like I said we had a car so we drove.

Thanks for all the helpful information! I will definitely look into the Hampton Inn. I toy with the idea of driving but in winter it is a risk and its a long drive for us. The cajun greek sounds great thanks for that information also. Walmart is also a plus because I always forget something lol. Thanks again

We just cruised out of Galveston on the Magic over Christmas week. We took the Galveston Express shuttle from Houston airport to Galveston and the driver dropped us right at our hotel for $25 a person. He also told us a little about the area on the way. He was excellent and the price ,we thought ,was awesome.

We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton on Seawall Blvd and would do so again in a heartbeat. We got 2 queen beds which is preferable for us rather than 2 doubles as can be common.

The room was spacious and clean and the hotel is a few minutes only from the port and the ocean is across the street.

We ate at Fishtales on Seawall Blvd and at Millers and both were fabulous with views of the ocean.

We just cruised out of Galveston on the Magic over Christmas week. We took the Galveston Express shuttle from Houston airport to Galveston and the driver dropped us right at our hotel for $25 a person. He also told us a little about the area on the way. He was excellent and the price ,we thought ,was awesome.

We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton on Seawall Blvd and would do so again in a heartbeat. We got 2 queen beds which is preferable for us rather than 2 doubles as can be common.

The room was spacious and clean and the hotel is a few minutes only from the port and the ocean is across the street.

We ate at Fishtales on Seawall Blvd and at Millers and both were fabulous with views of the ocean.

We are using them in March for our transportation.

Since we fly in late, there are no shuttles running at night. So we are staying in Houston and going to the port in the morning.

We need a hotel with something near by to grab some soda and wine.

We sail out of Galveston on most of our cruises. We only live about 8 hours away so we usually drive down a day or two before. As for where to stay, it depends on what you want. We have stayed at Red Roof Inn and Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront. They are less expensive and I have found them both to be clean and nice. They also serve a free breakfast and I'm pretty sure they have shuttle service to take you to the pier. The main reason we stay at these places is they are across from the beach which means we can take evening and morning walks which are one of my favorite things to do. They are also next door to a Starbucks (Inside Kroger Grocery) which is my other "Vacation Vice". There are several other "resorts" along the seawall where you have access to the beach also. Just depends on what you want and your budget. While most of them time when we travel, we stay in more high-end hotels, these are what works for us in Galveston.

Sorry I can't help with the transportation issue. You might check into a rental car though. When we sailed out of Port Canaveral, we found it cheaper to rent a car for a day than to take the shuttle. We then picked up another car when the cruise was over. It also gave us the freedom to get where we wanted during our stay.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

You are wise to book your room this far out. They are much less normally. We booked our room at the Days Inn as soon as reservations were open for our date and it was $83. Now it is $250, I believe. It is crazy how much they go up.

Hope you have a great cruise!

We are going in March arriving on a Wednesday staying at Harbor House - hotel told me about shuttle service

Texasairportcar.com or phone 832 891 9690 as we arrived at 6:30 pm . Called them seem very nice can't comment further

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you end up renting a car, you might consider one of the condo hotels on the seawall. They are reasonably priced and are the size of a small apartment. They have balcony overlooking the ocean across the street. They have a bedroom, kitchen, fold out sofa bed, bunk beds built into the wall in the hall. I've stayed at The Victorian recently, and it is an older property but well maintained, loved the balcony! The other that comes to mind is Casa Del Mar, same concept, but I don't know how they are as I've never stayed there. Only thing is, nice and reasonably priced as they are, I don't know how you'd do it without a car. I had one, so don't really remember noting what was in walking distance and you'd have to get a cab to the port for sure.

If you want to stay right at the cruise terminal, stay at Harbor House. You could walk from there. It's on the opposite side from the beach, but does put you in the historic area, The Strand with lots of shops and restraints.