shopping for food items on the dutch side

dec cruiser

I will be on St. Marten in Dec and love to shop in grocery stores. Does anyone know of any grocery stores on the dutch side of the island?.

Also, to take a cab to the dutch side from the pier, have the cab driver wait while I shop and then have them return me to the pier, would this be a problem, and how about the cost??

I'm new to this site but am already so happy to see postings by people with interests so close to my own!

My friends and I were taking the public jitney van from Phillipsburg (main town Dutch side) over to Marigot on French side. About halfway, we passed a supermarket. I don't remember the name, but it was very obvious, and kind of downhill from the main road and on the left side, heading toward Marigot.

All kinds of goodies in there!! There was an especially large Indonesian section, not surprising, as Netherlands were the colonial power in Indonesia.

If you ever get to Aruba, by the way, the supermarkets are a quick bus ride from the pier complex and they were completely amazing!

About halfway, we passed a supermarket. I don't remember the name, but it was very obvious, and kind of downhill from the main road and on the left side, heading toward Marigot.

All kinds of goodies in there!! There was an especially large Indonesian section, not surprising, as Netherlands were the colonial power in Indonesia.

That was probably RAM'S. Did you see the packages of pig snout, pig ears and other pig parts? Grab one of each and you can build your own pig!

One of my favorites is just on the edge of Marigot. They've got really interesting French grocery items and a nice assortment of FRESH fish. Very nice!!

There is a very nice supermarket, Sang's, located across from Bobby's Marina. It is probably less than a 15 minute walk from the Cruise Pier facility's exit onto the street there.gary

Here's a part of the liquor section in Sangs.

Thanks for the pictures. Did you have any prices for the liquor they sell, especially Very Old Mt. Gay? By the way the cheese in the other photo were Camembert not Brie. I think the French don't buy much Brie, mostly Americans as they prefer the flavor of Camembert especially as it ages. What a treasure trove to bring back to the ship for cocktail hour. Now how can you keep the bread fresh?

Thanks for the heads up on Camembert.

The liquor prices at Sang's are good but the best prices are at Caribbean Paradise across from McDonalds on Front Street. I haven't looked for old Mt. Gay, but I'm sure you can find it either at Ram's on Front Street.

Archived