Life jackets for muster?

sleepless

You are definitely much more comfortable at sea than I am. I am much more of a landlubber.

However, most people on this forum get confused when there too many people in say the Oceanview cafe at a regular time. Now put 4,000 of them in a panic situation in assorted neutral sites and it's a recipe for disaster IMHO. How would you know how many people could be accomodated at any one station in this situation?

I would rather take my chances on an orderly evacuation procedure planned in advance than hoping someone would randomly save me.

From what I read about the Concordia event, it was a tragedy that anyone had to lose their life. However, compared to the number of souls that were successfully evacuated (over 3100) they did a pretty admirable job. This also happened at night. It was also a tragedy that should have been avoided except for poor and foolhardy seamanship.

On another topic: people have life jackets in their cabins. Why not try them on and get them adjusted to fit you ahead of time rather than waiting in case there is a real emergency? I always sleep better after I have done this.

Enjoy your next trip.

Thanks, for your replies.

DH and I will attend Muster without our life jackets. On our very first cruise back in 2008 on a Royal Caribbean ship, it was necessary to carry the life jackets from the room to the Muster Station. On the rest of our cruises after that on Royal, the life jackets remained in the stateroom, and we went to Muster without them. In fact, our last 2 cruises on the Allure and the Oasis, there were no life jackets in the state room. All necessary life jackets were at the Muster stations.

Which reminds me of another question. In the event of a true emergency, is it necessary - or recommended to go back to the state room for our life jackets, or do we proceed directly to the Muster station? Each ship and or Cruise line does things differently. I will be on the Solstice.

No. Proceed directly to your muster station from wherever you might be. If evacuation is not possible from your schedule muster station, then go to another. (Per the instructions given on Summit in Sep).