Open Seating MDR on Summit

meperson

I'm considering booking my second trip on the Summit, but this time, am considering Open Seating as opposed to a fixed seating for dinner (08/28 Bermuda Cruise, 2 people).

Does anyone have experience with Open Seating on the Summit? Good idea, bad idea? What would it be like to get a table for 2?

Thanks for the feedback--it is all very much appreciated!

You simply go to the dining area and they serve you sort of first come first served with some times asked before. All a matter of personal preference. Dining with your significant other would be possible in either venue. Biggest difference is you will likely have different wait staff each night. DW does not like that and also like the social aspect of dining with others so we do MDR at a large table.

We were on Summit January 2 to 9,2016 with Select Dining.

Our experience was to go the Celebrity website before you leave & book the times you think you'll want to eat each day.

We found that even if we were early or late (within reason) on any given day, we were immediately seated versus those without a pre-selected time, often they had to wait at least 20 to 30 minutes for a table.

We were on Summit Jan. 2-9 and used select dining. We never made an advance reservation, had a table for 2 every night and never waited more than a minute or two. Some nights we ate as early as 6 other nights 7:30 to 8:00. Most nights we were seated in close proximity to other tables for 2 which allowed for lots of conversation but eating at your own pace. The service was excellent all but one evening.

We were also on the Jan 2nd sailing on the Summit. Unfortunately we did not make our anytime dining reservations before sailing and so we did not have a successful reservation experience. We would attempt to make our reservations the day before and we never got "prime time" seating. We were always offered 5:45 or 8:30. Also, they frequently tried to encourage us to sit at a large table instead of the table for 2 we requested. The process was very chaotic. When we voiced our concern with s crew member she told us that for some reason anytime dining does not work as smoothly on the Summit. We also found the dining service to vary widely between tables from excellent to barely acceptable.

We have had 2 very successful Select dining experiences on the Summit. We do not make any reservations, for me the point is going when I'm ready and hungry and not when I have to.

Both cruises we asked for a table of 2 each night and asked to be along the railing looking down on the main dining room. We usually arrived somewhere between 7:30 -8:15. Some nights we are seated within minutes and some nights we have received a pager and waited in the bar. Often they suggest we either join others or take a regular table for two. We politely say we prefer to wait even if it will be much longer. This ensures we are not at a table inches away from another table. Usually, by the 3rd night they know our routine and rarely are the waits long. The trick was never to arrive as the show let out. Either we go before or way after.

To me a quiet table for 2 is worth a wait.