Car seat and excursion

Tam.daelynn

We weren't planning on bringing a car seat with us. We would need a convertible and a high back booster. How does this work when you go on excursions? I have only done these with adults. You only go on excursions within walking distance?

We just carried my our daughter when she was 4 months old on our lap during excursions in Nassau. When she turned 4 she set in the seat beside us in Antigua and St Marten. If we were traveling at interstate speeds and for hours we would be more concerned but at the speeds on the islands and the time actually on the road the risk is minimal.

It depends on whether you are inquiring on the basis of safety, or legality.

You'd have to check in each jurisdiction, but typically, there are exemptions for car seat requirements on public transportation such as buses/minibuses, taxis, etc. In this case you wouldn't have to worry about possibly being ticketed/fined for not having a car seat/booster for children. So you can go with small children on shore excursions booked through RCI or privately.

From a safety perspective, well obviously it's safer with the right equipment designed for kids, so you may want to bring those along if that is your primary concern. At the same time, some of the local or shore excursion transportation (e.g. buses and trolleys) may not have seat belts so you'll have nothing to attach a car seat or booster to even if you bring them.

I have looked into this before because my daughter is currently 4 years old and we've taken her on 3 cruises with us. We decided against taking her car seat with us as a matter of convenience. We have gone on RCI shore excursions or our own self-exploration in port riding taxis, trolleys, coach buses, etc. with her.

Have you considered the RideSafer Travel Vest? It is a booster alternative that brings the seatbelt down into alignment with the child instead of boosting the child up. If your older child is within the height/weight requirements of this vest (comes in 2 sizes), it might be a good option for you. I have never cruised before, but I have travelled to foreign countries where car seat use can be tricky. The vest can be rolled up and put into luggage.

This may not work if your younger child is not big enough or mature enough for a booster, however. (Though I personally bend the maturity rule a bit for travel ... my 6yo is actually still harnessed under normal circumstances, but we use the vest on travel, along with regular reminders to sit properly.) You could buy a cheaper, smaller seat like the Cosco Scenera for him/her. I HIGHLY recommend the Facebook group Car Seats For the Littles for seat recommendations.

The easiest thing, of course, would be to avoid car travel if possible. That's what we plan to do on our upcoming cruise to Progreso/Cozumel. But that all depends on where you are going and what you plan to do.