western caribbean... need ideas for island excursions

stephwells

I am booked for a Carnival Cruise doing the Western Caribbean. Any thoughts or help on what to do... Belize and Cozumel specifically?

stephwells .... If you haven't already checked, you can find lots of helpful information in the ports of call section.

Also, what type (snorkeling, beach, shopping, etc.) of excursions do you like?

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I'm not sure where your interests lie.

In Cozumel we've done Tulum twice, Xcaret and shopped.

Tulum is fabulous for history buffs. Wear your swimsuit as there is a small beach. As another poster noted, this is an all-day activity. You ferry over to the mainland and catch a bus to Tulum. The actual ruins are a bit of a walk from the parking area. Purchase the round-trip tram for the ruins.

Xcaret is an ecological park on the mainland. Again you'll need to ferry over to the mainland from Cozumel. There's a beach, butterfly pavillon, many restaurants (extra fee), partially underground river to snorkel (my favorite part). You can also swim with the dolphins at an extra cost. In the evening there is a performance at an arena. The show depicts the Mayan view on the Spanish invasion of the area. Very interesting show.

Another family we know has gone to Paradise Beach. This is done on your own. Catch a cab to Paradise Beach.

Another family we cruised with took the catamaran and snorkel tour. They absolutely loved it!

Can't tell you about Belize. I was supposed to visit that port this summer but Hurricane Emily changed our itinerary. I'll get to visit Belize in March, 2006, on our next cruise.

Cave Tubing or snorkeling in Belize and Tulum (Mayan ruins) in Cozumel (ferry to the mainland) - in Tulum, make sure you take a dip at the beach!!!!!

Check out these photos

Photocruiser

Wow!!! Fabulous pics! I've never been to Tulum, but these make me want to go...

Shark Ray Alley snorkeling/Caye Caulker with Coral Breeze in Belize. In Cozumel, we've done lots of things--ferried over to Playa del Carmen, visited Chaakanab Park, ship excursions-fiesta party boat and sail, snorkel and beach party, all on different trips, of course. Had a blast on all of them. It really depends on your personal interests.

You can't beat cave tubing in Belize. We had been twice now and loved it both times. Just some advice if you decide to take this tour. The first time we went in 2003 we booked through the ship. We went with about 300 other people. We also ate at a small restaurant called "Cheers". Most of our party got the screamers for the rest of the trip after that lunch. This trip cost us $99 each

Last year we got off the ship and found a tour guide at the pier. There are plenty of them waiting to take you wherever you want to go. We paid $60 each . We travelled to the river in a new 15 passenger van with our group of 16. This was the way to do it. We had a much better time with our small group. We were back to the ship in plenty of time. In fact this took about 3 hours less time than booking with the ship. We also asked our guide to take us on a little city tour around Belize City.

We are going to be in Belize again next week. We are going to take a water taxi to Cay Caulker and hang out on the beach and maybe do some fishing.

There are alot of things to do in Cozumel. We always scuba dive with Wildcat Divers. You won't have a problem finding something fun to do here.

Good Luck and have a good time.

In Belize, we did the "Altun-Ha" ruins tour and it was very interesting.

In Cozumel, we did the "Highlights and Shopping Tour," which I was disappointed in, a lot of the shops downtown are right at the end of the pier. My dad did the "Sunset Snorkel," where they take you to the beach at 7 pm and give you a waterproof flashlight. He said he saw a lot of sea life.

Last year we got off the ship and found a tour guide at the pier. There are plenty of them waiting to take you wherever you want to go. We paid $60 each . We travelled to the river in a new 15 passenger van with our group of 16. This was the way to do it. We had a much better time with our small group. We were back to the ship in plenty of time. In fact this took about 3 hours less time than booking with the ship. We also asked our guide to take us on a little city tour around Belize City.

I agree. Some people like to plan ahead, which is NOT necessary with cave tubing. I reserved my trip through Reggie at A-1 Tours. He was GREAT. He uses a school bus but the trip was fine and he and his son Lionel were very friendly. They, too, showed us around Belize City. We paid $45/each because we had 4 people. You can book on line.

http://www.regtour.com/index.htm

We drove past "Cheers" on the way and were laughing at how sketchy the place looks and how wierd it is to have a "Cheers" out in the middle of nowhere. Pulling up there in a bus with a bunch of other cruisers is not something I would want to do.

Cozumel: again, clean taxis waiting at the pier. We took a cab to Chankanaab Park (16/each, 4 for the cab and 12 for the park admission). A line of cabs waits there to take you back to the ship. You can go to Chankanaab (10 minutes away), snorkel, swim, even swim with the dolphins if that is what you want to do (reserve ahead for that), then taxi baxk to the pier, go back on the ship and change and eat if you want, then go back to Cozumel and walk around and shop. You still will have loads of time. If your ship tenders into Cozumel you might have less time. I had four kids with me and decided what to do in Cozumel that morning at breakfast. It is that easy.

• 2 weeks later...
I am booked for a Carnival Cruise doing the Western Caribbean. Any thoughts or help on what to do... Belize and Cozumel specifically?

Check out the Port of Call thread for more information. There are many independent tours in Belize. Have fun.

We had no trouble getting around on our own. DH & I spent the morning shopping in town (prices seemed lower than @ the dock), then took a cab to Paradise Beach; had a great lunch there and had beach time. Then, of course, had to stop off on the way back to the ship for a few margaritas (where we found our friends, who never made it any further than that)........

We did the Shark/Ray Alley tour with Coral Breeze last February in Belize; this time when we go back we're booked for cave tubing with cave-tubing.com. In Cozumel, the first time we went to Chankanaab, which we really liked; the last time we headed to Paradise after reading much on these boards - and absolutely loved it. We're going back there in February also. Check the ports of call sections on these boards for lots of other info.:)

Cave Tubing in Belize was fantastic. We will be doing that one again.

Cozumel... power snorkeling. There were seven of us. They took us to the beach in taxis, and gave us these little power units that propelled you through the water. Taking underwater pictures was difficult at first, but I got the hang of it.

Archived