What to do in Victoria...

What do you do when you are in Victoria - our ship stops there from 1 til 11.

I'm not interested in Butchert Gardens, Orca Whale Watching, an organized city tour of any kind, or high tea. ;)

Any opinions about the BC Aviation Museum? (I live near Washington DC & have been to both of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museums several times.)

Now for the cheesy bit. I have been asked to get a Starbucks "Canada" mug. I assume that I will be able to get one in Victoria. Is there a Starbucks near the port?

Thanks. I can't wait to read your suggestions.

I suggest going for a walk through downtown. The inner harbour is beautiful at that time of year and if you catch sunset the legislative buildings are something to see when all lit up. IIRC you have a kid with you? If so they might enjoy miniature world. The Royal BC museum is also nice, and they have great imax movies playing (an option if the weather is poor). You shouldn't have a problem finding starbucks in downtown. If you feel like there are usually horse carriages that will do a little tour (but are expensive) or pedal bikes that can take you around downtown. It is walkable from the ship, about 15min to downtown, but will end up being a lot of walking if you walk up and down the streets of downtown and the waterfront.

I suggest going for a walk through downtown. The inner harbour is beautiful at that time of year and if you catch sunset the legislative buildings are something to see when all lit up. IIRC you have a kid with you? If so they might enjoy miniature world. The Royal BC museum is also nice, and they have great imax movies playing (an option if the weather is poor). You shouldn't have a problem finding starbucks in downtown. If you feel like there are usually horse carriages that will do a little tour (but are expensive) or pedal bikes that can take you around downtown. It is walkable from the ship, about 15min to downtown, but will end up being a lot of walking if you walk up and down the streets of downtown and the waterfront.

Yes, I will be traveling with an 8.5 year old. (This port is at the end of a long trip...)

Thanks, for the miniature world idea, I'll look it up.

Unless you plan to hire a car you'll need to figure out local transit or pay a relative fortune by cab to see the aviation museum; it's out by the airport which despite the name is really not close to Victoria! Assume roughly 30mins in a car or an hour by bus with connections. It's a nice place, though on a very different scale from the Smithsonian so don't expect anything nearly as swank!

If you stay in town I'd also have recommended miniature world for the kiddywinkles, Royal BC Museum for all, and general wandering. I'd also add tours of Parliament if it's a weekday you visit, Swans Brewpub for the grownups to sample some real British style ales in one of the very few places you can have them served at the right temperature, and (provided you haven't actually experienced real castles elsewhere) Craigdarroch 'Castle' might be of interest.

USwans Brewpub for the grownups to sample some real British style ales in one of the very few places you can have them served at the right temperature,.

Now you are speaking my language.

Any chance of finding any gruit, like Fraoch Heather Ale out of Scotland? Or Perry? (I've heard that there are places for hard cider, but 99% of the time that is apple based...)

Nope, I don't drink any pedestrian "beers." Life is too short. I'll only choose unfiltered out of the "normal" range of choices.

Any chance of finding any gruit, like Fraoch Heather Ale out of Scotland? Or Perry? (I've heard that there are places for hard cider, but 99% of the time that is apple based...)

Nope, I don't drink any pedestrian "beers." Life is too short. I'll only choose unfiltered out of the "normal" range of choices.

Well now we're on the same page - I actually used to get my homebrew supplies from the guy who invented Fraoch back in the early 90s (probably still have a copy of the original recipe floating around from before he scaled up to industrial production). All claims of authenticity for the Fraoch recipe are utter bunk made up as a good marketing story by Bruce - the first iteration IIRC was that it had been handed down over the generations of 'alewives' in his family since the days of the Picts! A great way to earn a few bucks extra while hiking back then was to pick heather tips and drop them off at the shop - he paid cash in hand per pound.

The only consistent gruit-producer in Canada I can think of offhand is Beau's, from Eastern Ontario. They started quirky with Lug Tread, a 'lagered ale' (sort of the opposite of a California Common - if you like those then 33 Acres in Vancouver has built their brand on theirs) and now make various seasonal gruits. There are so many breweries around now that I'm never surprised if someone makes an occasional gruit; saisons & farmhouse ales are utterly common-place; even brettanomyces brews are almost mainstream locally so there's always a chance you'll find something interesting to sample.

Perry is a product I enjoy, and in theory you can easily acquire it here in Canada - the big 2L bottles of cheap ciders usually have apple, pear, and peach variants as well the ones with added berries. Unfortunately I don't know of any *good* local Perry being made, although there's definitely more cider producers popping up on the island and lower mainland all the time (ties in with the gluten free trend that's very popular locally). Merridale make some excellent hard ciders in very traditional styles and are readily available.

Well now we're on the same page -

The only consistent gruit-producer in Canada I can think of offhand is Beau's, from Eastern Ontario. They started quirky with Lug Tread, a 'lagered ale' (sort of the opposite of a California Common - if you like those then

Perry is a product I enjoy, and in theory you can easily acquire it here in Canada.

Victoria is all of a sudden looking a lot better in my book.;) Thanks for the information.

Victoria is all of a sudden looking a lot better in my book.;) Thanks for the information.

Victoria is a great city! I'm sure you will love it. We love weekend getaways to Victoria every now and then, being from

Vancouver.

There are roughly 5 craft breweries in Victoria, of which my all-round favourite is Hoynes. You'd find it inconvenient to visit but some of Victoria' s pubs will carry their and other local brews. I'll just add a recommendation to visit Spinnaker's for lunch. It's the oldest brew pub in BC and has good food. The restaurant downstairs is open to children but not the upstairs taproom. You'd get there on one of the cute little Harbour ferries from the stop in front of the Empress Hotel.

Salt Spring Island Ales makes a very nice Gruit. It is listed as one of their seasonals and is sold in 750mL bottles. Swan's, should you go there, does have a bottle shop and may carry some. The Strathcona Hotel has a great liquor store and I know they carry the Salt Spring Beers, whether the Gruit will be in stock I can't say.

For Perry - I think some of the locals have dabbled - we have Sea Cider which is brewing on the peninsula, again bottle shops will have theirs. Just checked the website, they did a limited release Perry.

To sample some local craft beers, Swans and Spinnakers are good although I don't love their beers but you can take a kid into both. The Drake is a craft focused place, on the Pandora Ave side of Market Square, faces Swan's. They have craft pop (soda) for kids, who are welcome. Food is small plates so don't go super hungry.

Also pushing votes on the Royal BC Museum - it's fantastic and my kid (6) loves it. The Aviation Museum is really too far out. Beacon Hill Park isn't much past the museum and has a Children's Farm (mostly baby goats) with a $2 donation request (rest of the park is free) and there are two playgrounds (one is right in the park, the other is a bit trickier to find/farther along Cook Street but is better suited for a 8.5 y.o.)

Also pushing votes on the Royal BC Museum - it's fantastic and my kid (6) loves it. The Aviation Museum is really too far out. Beacon Hill Park isn't much past the museum and has a Children's Farm (mostly baby goats) with a $2 donation request (rest of the park is free) and there are two playgrounds (one is right in the park, the other is a bit trickier to find/farther along Cook Street but is better suited for a 8.5 y.o.)

I may be slightly biased - but the Royal BC Museum has been my fav museum since I was a kid. It's unlike any other museum I've ever been to. I'm not a big fan of "tourist-traps" - but I wouldn't miss RBCM, I think it's great for all ages.

The aviation museum is much smaller (and as was mentioned - quite a ways out of town). I have enjoyed going there - but it's someplace I'd visit if I was nearby, as opposed a destination itself.

• 2 weeks later...
What do you do when you are in Victoria - our ship stops there from 1 til 11.

I'm not interested in Butchert Gardens, Orca Whale Watching, an organized city tour of any kind, or high tea. ;)

Any opinions about the BC Aviation Museum? (I live near Washington DC & have been to both of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museums several times.)

Now for the cheesy bit. I have been asked to get a Starbucks "Canada" mug. I assume that I will be able to get one in Victoria. Is there a Starbucks near the port?

Thanks. I can't wait to read your suggestions.

Victoria is a beautiful city and there is much to see within walking distance of the cruise port. This website provides a good overview:

http://Victoria-Canada.ca

Enjoy your vacation!

I may be slightly biased - but the Royal BC Museum has been my fav museum since I was a kid. It's unlike any other museum I've ever been to. I'm not a big fan of "tourist-traps" - but I wouldn't miss RBCM, I think it's great for all ages.

The aviation museum is much smaller (and as was mentioned - quite a ways out of town). I have enjoyed going there - but it's someplace I'd visit if I was nearby, as opposed a destination itself.

I'll also chime in on the Royal BC Museum. We were there several years ago when they were having a special Egypt exhibit - way too cool. The actual non special exhibit part of the museum was one of the best I have ever seen. (Some of the best museums I have been are in Canada - Head Smashed-in Buffalo Jump in Ft. McLeod, the Royal Ontario Museum in Ottawa, among others.) This is coming from a derned old Kansan who has gotten to travel quite a bit!

Also, if you have a way to get there, there is a fish n' chip shop that is called Haultain's - it's just a hole-in-the-wall, but oy vey, do they serve up some righteous fish n' chips! Hope this helps - you're making me jealous as Victoria is one of my favorite cities!

The local place for coffee and tea is Murchies on Government Street. It's a bit of a landmark in BC. I have paid many visits to their shops in Vancouver and Victoria. Next door to Murchies is Munro's Books, a traditional old-fashioned bookstore. Munro's is great for browsing and gifts.

A choice for a day trip would be to rent a car and drive west from Victoria to Sooke, then north on the outside (west coast) of Vancouver Island to a provincial park. This area is spectacular in its beauty. Consider stopping at a deli for a picnic lunch.

(Just adding to the already interesting list!)

The local place for coffee and tea is Murchies on Government Street. It's a bit of a landmark in BC. I have paid many visits to their shops in Vancouver and Victoria. Next door to Murchies is Munro's Books, a traditional old-fashioned bookstore. Munro's is great for browsing and gifts.

A choice for a day trip would be to rent a car and drive west from Victoria to Sooke, then north on the outside (west coast) of Vancouver Island to a provincial park. This area is spectacular in its beauty. Consider stopping at a deli for a picnic lunch.

(Just adding to the already interesting list!)

Mmmm...Murchie's...best scones and creme brulee.

Also, if you have a way to get there, there is a fish n' chip shop that is called Haultain's - it's just a hole-in-the-wall, but oy vey, do they serve up some righteous fish n' chips! Hope this helps - you're making me jealous as Victoria is one of my favorite cities!

Haultain's! Yeah - baby!!

The BEST F&C anywhere (and my dad used to own two F&C shops in Victoria). Normally - the tourists get sent to Barb's (Fisherman's Wharf) or Red Fish, Blue Fish (downtown, near Ship Point). But I send locals to Haultain's. They have a "sourdough" batter that is incredible and their halibut prices are hard to beat.

Haultain's! Yeah - baby!!

The BEST F&C anywhere (and my dad used to own two F&C shops in Victoria). Normally - the tourists get sent to Barb's (Fisherman's Wharf) or Red Fish, Blue Fish (downtown, near Ship Point). But I send locals to Haultain's. They have a "sourdough" batter that is incredible and their halibut prices are hard to beat.

I was REALLY happy to get that recommendation to Haultain's when I was a tourist in the area several years ago. Still haven't had fish n' chips as good anywhere else in North America, and that's going up to the Maritimes of Canada, and down to the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts of the U.S.. I just wish I wasn't 2000 miles away right now! LOL

I was REALLY happy to get that recommendation to Haultain's when I was a tourist in the area several years ago. Still haven't had fish n' chips as good anywhere else in North America, and that's going up to the Maritimes of Canada, and down to the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts of the U.S.. I just wish I wasn't 2000 miles away right now! LOL

I might have to swing in there tomorrow!

Last summer I sent some visitors to Haultain's - but I obviously have no idea if they made it there or if they liked it. I'm glad that some visitors find it! It's really off the normal beaten path...

We are staying overnight in Victoria in June during our pre cruise trip. What street is Haultain's in please?

It's on Haultain, off Cook St between Bay St and Hillside ave. Easiest to access heading north on Cook - take a right on Haultain, drive another maybe 100m (past a few houses) and it's on the right in a small building next to Askim's Beer & Wine (U-brew). Might have to go there soon ;)

• 2 weeks later...

RBCM and Miniature World are definitely great. I would also echo the weekday visit to the Parliament Buildings. I think the tour is free and it's about an hour. There is also a Bug Zoo (museum-ish thing, I haven't been in years!) near Miniature World, depending if your family would be interested in that.

In the basement of the Empress hotel, roughly under the gift shops (enter through the side entrance across the street from the museum) there is a tiny 'museum'. It's probably worth 10 minutes of your time, but it's free and I love checking out the menus and event notices from back in the day when it was THE place to be in Victoria.

Murchies and Roger's Chocolates are two Victoria institutions, both on Government Street. You can walk up Government all the way to our tiny (but old-for-Canada) China town, and poke around in there a little bit, there are some fun stores and alleys with shops.

There is also an artisan market most days in Bastion Square, which you will pass as you walk up Government (it will be on your left when you are heading up towards Chinatown). Bastion Square is the site of the old Fort Victoria, as well as our first courthouse. There are several Starbucks in the area, at least two are right on Government, both between the harbor and Chinatown.

If you are there on a Friday or Saturday night, there is a night market (mostly artisans) right by the Inner Harbour (across from the Empress Hotel) from 5-10pm. There are also local artisans almost all the time right in the Inner Harbour, so you can walk around there, see the boats, and check that out if you want to.

Several of the hotels including the Grand Pacific and Laurel Point (and usually the Empress, but they are under construction so I'm not 100% sure right now) have artist in residence programs during the summer. They are there select days and times, but you can pop in and see them work and ask questions about what they are up to.

If you are walking to/from the terminal to downtown, I would recommend taking a harbor taxi one direction, and possibly stopping at Fisherman's Wharf. It's about half way between downtown and the cruise ships and you can see cute little houseboats people live on (including one you can tour for about $5), and you can often see/feed seals, which is a hit with the kids for sure.

Finally, I'd also second the Beacon Hill Park idea. It's a beautiful park which includes manicured and natural areas, a great playground, cricket grounds, the petting zoo, and a huge totem pole. Across the street (on Douglas) is the Beacon Drive in, which can't have changed a bit since it was built (in the 70s?) but is a total institution and has fantastic soft serve, among other snacks.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

This is great info for me as well, thanks everyone! I went there last year on my cruise and didn't really know what to do (NCL arrives late in the day on Sat when most places are closing). However, I'm going back this May and this post has given me some great new ideas for this time around :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app