NCL Escape - Brew House Prices

USFSU11

Hello, my husband and I are planning on sailing the NCL Escape Feb 20th-27th. Unfortunately I didn't know that the "Free Seas" deal is only good until 30 days of the cruise and we missed out on the Unlimited Beverage Package. :mad: We are mostly beer drinkers and LOVE craft beers so I see ourselves spending a lot of time in the brew house. I've seen lots of pictures of drink prices but how are the beers priced in the brew house? :confused: Just trying to figure out if purchasing the Unlimited Beverage Package for the 2 of us is worth it or not since we missed out on the free promotion they had.

Any thoughts about recommending or avoiding the Unlimited Beverage Package?

Thanks for the help. :)

Purchasing the beverage package was never worth it to us--we are big drinkers (craft beer and cocktails), but need a break sometimes (cruise drinking break for us=two or three drinks a day). And we like to drink on the islands when in port.

However, we just returned from the Escape and got it free. Free is awesome because our usual bar bill is around $300 each on board (again, we also drink in ports). Here was our experience.

What was awesome:

-Not worrying about price. Drink the most expensive beers and cocktails if that's what you want! We didn't feel like we needed to opt for the cheaper options.

-Always had wine with dinner, even in the MDR. Previously we'd only do it specialties and stick to water in the MDR.

-Individual drink prices have gone up since our last cruise, so that didn't impact us.

What was not awesome:

-Feeling like sitting at port bars was a "waste" so we went back to ship earlier than usual.

-We pulled a rookie mistake! Drinking way too much days one and two (the brewhouse + football!). Didn't feel as much like drinking the rest of the trip, and when we did, it wasn't as enjoyable.

-The free (good) bottle of wine we got didn't feel special. Kind of a waste, as we could get that wine at the Cellars by the glass for free.

Thank you so much Keith and weltek! That menu isn't as impressive as I was hoping it would be. Weltek - that's funny you say that... I'm sure that first night we'll drink a little too much which will slow us down for the rest of the trip. And I'm sure we'll enjoy drinks off the ship. Just really stinks that we missed out on the free UDP. :mad:

What about the Specialty Dining Packages - any advice about that? We're planning on trying Moderno, Teppanyaki, Mayamo, Pincho Tapas Bar, Food Republic, and Margaritaville.

Thank you for any advice as this is our first time dealing with these packages. :confused:

What about the Specialty Dining Packages - any advice about that? We're planning on trying Moderno, Teppanyaki, Mayamo, Pincho Tapas Bar, Food Republic, and Margaritaville.

I opt to purchase the SDP for the # of times I'll be hitting the specialty restaurants. In your case, it may be less obvious. Bayamo has an upcharge for those using the SDP, and if you look at the ala carte menu pricing, it may not be worth it for that one restaurant.

Any reason you're not trying LeBistro and Cagney's? Not sure about Tapas bar and Food Republic... they may not qualify for SDP and just be ala carte.

Anyways... especially now with ala carte pricing in the specialty restaurants, I'd rather pay the SDP ahead of time and go on board with all meals "included" so I can ignore those unpleasant ala carte prices on the menus. Combined with UBP... one fun cruise!

I know you were asking more about prices of beer on the cruise, but I must tell you, if you like craft beers, and the atmosphere of a craft beer joint, the District Brewhouse onboard the ESCAPE is awesome! There are no children allowed, and is quiet and relaxing most of the time. Their seating is very comfortable (soft leather sofas & chair seated next to floor to ceiling windows of the ocean)... So Peaceful, Calm, and Relaxing. They usually host a trivia contest every night, and then there is live music too. We spent some time in there almost every day. The beer was always ICEY cold, I can't even say that about a lot of beer places that we frequent in our city , with a lively Craft Beer life. To go from ships without any craft beer choices, to this amazing place, I really think you and your wife will be very happy here! And I thought their prices were about average of most craft breweries on land. Enjoy yourselves!

I know you were asking more about prices of beer on the cruise, but I must tell you, if you like craft beers, and the atmosphere of a craft beer joint, the District Brewhouse onboard the ESCAPE is awesome! There are no children allowed, and is quiet and relaxing most of the time. Their seating is very comfortable (soft leather sofas & chair seated next to floor to ceiling windows of the ocean)... So Peaceful, Calm, and Relaxing. They usually host a trivia contest every night, and then there is live music too. We spent some time in there almost every day. The beer was always ICEY cold, I can't even say that about a lot of beer places that we frequent in our city , with a lively Craft Beer life. To go from ships without any craft beer choices, to this amazing place, I really think you and your wife will be very happy here! And I thought their prices were about average of most craft breweries on land. Enjoy yourselves!
I guess it depends on the crowd... When I was there, several people tried to turn it into a library during the day (rarely even drinking anything), but thankfully, they were gone by early evening time. That's when it became a real party environment, with live music, lots of laughter, and lots of fun with friends, both new and old. The place was jumping from about 5pm way into the early morning hours. It was the complete opposite of "Peaceful, Calm, and Relaxing." It's whatever the passengers on any particular cruise try to make of it. That's part of the beauty of it.

Thank you for any advice as this is our first time dealing with these packages. :confused:

I haven't done the dining packages, but you can do the math on those, if you look at the menus and price out what you'd normally order. It just gets complicated when you factor in that those with the dining package also get a discount on other venues. We usually do specialty 2-3 nights, and it wasn't really worth it for us.

On the Escape, the real stars are Bayamo, Pincho and Food Republic. All of those are only on the "discount with dining package" plan. They aren't included for free with the packages to my knowledge.

Bayamo was amazing, in the top 20 meals I've ever had, land and sea. I think we spent $70 for two people, 3 courses each, plus about 20% service charge/tip.

Pincho was great-ate there twice. Spent about $20 on food each time.

Food Republic was almost daily for us, trying a few new things each day. Prices are very reasonable to stop in for lunch or dinner ($3-$20 per item...FYI, the $20 ribeye wasn't worth it in our opinion-it comes cut up and got cold fast-and the wings were a little disappointing for us. Other stuff was awesome.).

We've really enjoyed Le Bistro, Moderno and Cagneys in the past. La Cucina, not so much. We didn't do any of those this cruise because of trying all the other great options.

My only note about dining packages, is that you really need to plan for reservations ahead of time because the restaurants have been very busy.