Medication question

Mably

My husband takes quite a few prescription medications. He likes to put a weeks worth in the pill organizer strips. I was wondering if he needs to take his prescriptions on the ship in their original bottles.....or can we go ahead and just take the medicine strips alread filled and ready to go? Has anyone had any experience along these lines???

Thanks, Mary

I also take medication daily---have always used my pill organizer.

One tip- always take a few extra in case of delays getting back home.

When we went on the Miracle last month, still busy hurricane activity, so I took 4 extra days worth. Didnt need them though---got back to port on time---drats!

I was told by AA that I must have all rxs in prescription bottles. His insulin must have rx sticker on it as well as his syringes. I have decided to take his 15 rxs with me in a xl baggie just to be on safe side. He also takes a Morphine and I would not think about not taking that actual rx bottle. As a matter of fact I keep a few extra of those in my purse in an old rx bottle for emergencies. It seemed like a pain to me but I would rater be safe than sorry.

I was told by AA that I must have all rxs in prescription bottles. His insulin must have rx sticker on it as well as his syringes. I have decided to take his 15 rxs with me in a xl baggie just to be on safe side. He also takes a Morphine and I would not think about not taking that actual rx bottle. As a matter of fact I keep a few extra of those in my purse in an old rx bottle for emergencies. It seemed like a pain to me but I would rater be safe than sorry.

This is a wise choice. We have never been questioned by customs about our prescription meds but it is technically a violation to bring prescription drugs into the USA without a prescription. What with the need for them not to mention the cost, why risk confiscation? Better safe than sorry.

You should always travel with medication in a labeled Rx bottle since it contains the legal (US) information. Once you are on the ship, you can then transfer the meds to the daily reminder strip. And, as someone previously mentioned, travel with a few days of extra meds.

This is the advice I give to my patients and that we follow ourselves.

Thank you so much for all the responses! I guess I will take all his prescriptions in their original bottles and then we can fill the organizer once on board! Why didn't I think of that???????

Thanks, Mary

You really need to keep medication in original containers if not at home. If you are carrying medication for your husband in your purse make sure that you have it in a bottle with his name on it. If you get pulled over or stopped for any reason (not just vacation) you can legally get into trouble for this. These druggies have made it hard on us normal citizens.

Technically by law, all medications are suppose to be in the original labeled bottle....

DH has a prescription medication that comes in powder form. We used to get it in individual dose packets, but insurance no longer allows this, so we have to take it in a large can (like a half-height Hi-C size) that has a snap on plastic lid, like a coffee can. We took the medication in its original container on a cruise once. The can is too large to fit in the carry-on with all other meds, etc., so we packed it in the large suitcase. When we arrived at our pre-cruise hotel and opened the suitcase, we discovered the pressure changes during our flight had popped the top off the can. There was powder all over the inside of our suitcase. We salvaged enough for the trip, but have never again taken the original container. We carry a copy of the fill ticket to show the Rx is current, and we keep the medication itself in a smaller container with a screw-on lid. There's technicality, and then there's practicality.

the rx's that need to stay in their original bottles with labels are the narcotics and controlled substances (as someone previously states) for obvious reasons, but the others i didn't bring in their original bottles. you could always get smaller vials from the pharmacist without a problem, but i didn't have any problems on my cruise... just as long as the people with you know what you (that person) is taking...

I take a couple narcotics and have never had any problems although I always leave them in their original bottle just in case. I also have an implanted device that delivers narcotics directly to my nerve endings. It did set off the metal detector each time which was a pain (no pun intended:D ) and I always carry a printout of the medicine and the dose it is dispensing. I was really nervous when we came back into the states because I was afraid it would cause me to be delayed. But, thankfully, NO PROBLEMS :)

The problem w/ Rzx is NOT the cruise line. They could care less about anything other than alcohol or weapons. It is the TSA. If you are flying then ALWAYS care pharmacy marked containers. If you are driving then you may use your daily pill keeper.

Archived