New email from Carnival

griz400

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you and I think that most cruise lines do more to protect their passengers then other travel destinations. Also, if you have listened to the news there have already been cases in the United States so are you going to move to a safer country? There have always been some type of virus that is possible to catch and that doesn't stop people from going to these places. People can't live in fear and live in a protective box their whole life. And what about the Olympics which has nothing to do with Cruise lines. They are still having it in Brazil this summer.

Well said!

I received my second email from Carnival regarding the Zika Virus this morning.

I have received 2 emails from Carnival and we don't sail until the end of March. I have added bug spray to the packing list. The emails I received were in my "promotions" on gmail so that may be why some have not seen them.

I doubt that any of the cruise lines will be canceling their cruises to the Caribbean ports. Nor should they. Travelers should take precautions.

According to last night's CBS national news, this whole thing is overblown. Yes, there are pregnant ladies who had kids with birth defects. The number of 4,000 mentioned in Brazil is overblown, the more accurate number is more like 200.

Before this, it was the chickamunga virus transmitted by mosquitoes. Before that, malaria. It's always something. Just use mosquito repellent and you should be fine.

Interesting, I also haven't received an email from Carnival about it.

Yes I've got four cruises booked to the Caribbean in the next few months and I didn't receive a letter or email! Course that could be because I'm too old to have children but there are those rare people in my age group who still have a child so it's odd that the cruise line would assume.

Edited by Jana60

Lots of scare tactics going on. Yes if your pregnant I would not head into the central and south Americas. But other than the threat to pregnant women, there is really nothing to worry about. Sanjay Gupta says so! 85% of people who get it never even realize any symptoms. And once you get it, you then become immune. If Sanjay says it, I'll take it to the bank. :D

Now if your pregnant you better break out the long sleeves and long pants and don't forget your misquito netting while your at it. Or better yet, don't leave your house. :eek:

In recent years there have been various warnings for Chikungunya, Malaria, Dengue, Yellow Fever, Encephalitis and West Nile in various Caribbean ports, mostly spread by mosquitoes. The wise response is to carry travel size cans of both DEET and a repellent containing Picaridin (this should be at least 20% concentration), and reapply frequently as needed. Wooded areas, lakes, swampy areas and rivers are the primary habitats, so it pays to be especially cautious in those areas, and in this case it might also be a good idea to spray clothing with permethrin -- it can be applied many weeks before you travel and will actually stick to clothing through several washings.

That should take care of the issue for anyone who isn't pregnant and doesn't have a compromised immune system. No need to cancel vacations for such an insignificant likelihood of infection.

According to last night's CBS national news, this whole thing is overblown. Yes, there are pregnant ladies who had kids with birth defects. The number of 4,000 mentioned in Brazil is overblown, the more accurate number is more like 200.

Before this, it was the chickamunga virus transmitted by mosquitoes. Before that, malaria. It's always something. Just use mosquito repellent and you should be fine.

I suspect exaggeration in hopes of getting more us aide. Certainly would not be the first time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk