Questions on excursions for Gem 10 day out of NY

lizanne_1

My husband and I are going on the Gem 10 day cruise out of New York, March 2nd, to include: San Juan, Tortola, St. Martin and St. Thomas (short day).

We would like your views and recommendations on excursions:

a) Which Island (from San Juan, Tortola & St. Marten) should we do a snorkeling trip and with what company?

b) What should we do for the short trip on St. Thomas?

c) With two excursions left, what would be your top two excursion choices?

Thanks! :)

On St Thomas we just walked around the shops by where the shipped docked and then paid one of the locals with the tour buses about $20 or so per person to take a tour around to the popular spots to see. Loved St Maarten! We did the ship offered excursion that involved the boat ride (with free rum punch) and then the bus tour all included.

My husband & I loved the Turtle Cove Catamaran Sail & Snorkel and the Castaway shipwreck sail & Snorkel in St Thomas. In St Maartan, we loved the Golden Eagle sail away and swim. We also did the Mirabella catamaran sail and swim, which was good, but we felt the golden eagle was better.

In Tortola, we did the land and sea excursion. The land part was awful! The guy driving the open air bus drove so fast you really couldn't get pictures. There were 3 in my group and we all said how scared we were going up and down the hills and around all the bends with how fast he was driving.

Hope is helps and have a great time!

On St Thomas we just walked around the shops by where the shipped docked and then paid one of the locals with the tour buses about $20 or so per person to take a tour around to the popular spots to see. Loved St Maarten! We did the ship offered excursion that involved the boat ride (with free rum punch) and then the bus tour all included.

I like this idea of $20pp to take a tour around the popular St. Thomas spots. We did this in Tortola. In fact, I think it was $15pp as he almost had the bus filled. Can you tell me where you got on the tour bus? Was it right at the pier or was it near the shops? I'd like to look for it. We were thinking of just going to see the Butterfly Gardens because you can see their entrance from the ship. Not far at all. We've been to St. Thomas quite a few times but haven't toured around lately.

Last time there we walked to the tram ride and enjoyed the view from the top.

There were many men trying to get the attention of all the cruise passengers over by the shops. Negotiate with them too! They will take less than what they initially tell you! The one we went with drove a tad fast and that didn't give me many opportunities for good pictures unfortunately.

Oh!

Our short day was Tortola so we booked through NCL to Virgin Gorda and The Baths. Wish we could have had more time there!

In St. Thomas, we had a good bit of time so we went to St. John.

If you have limited time, try to take a tour of St. Thomas. Look for Raymond! His vehicle has fire scenes on it as he is volunteer fireman.

Best tour we have ever taken was with Bernard's in St. Maarten. Had a great day of touring the island with stops at Maho beach to watch the planes land and Orient Bay for some relaxing beach time as well as a bunch of other stops. Rum punch and beer were available all day and included in the cost.

Best tour we have ever taken was with Bernard's in St. Maarten. Had a great day of touring the island with stops at Maho beach to watch the planes land and Orient Bay for some relaxing beach time as well as a bunch of other stops. Rum punch and beer were available all day and included in the cost.

Where did you find Bernards? Is it a place/taxi near docks ? Do you prescheduale or just catch them there? Sounds like a great tour!

I pre booked through their website bernardstours.com and then met with a rep from the company just outside the welcome centre. After registering we walked a short distance and were divided into groups with our tour guide. It was a small bus/ large van with plenty of opportunities to get out and take pictures. If possible request Mailman for your tour guide, he is great and so funny! When the day was over we paid the remaining balance in cash.