Best time for higher water levels on Danube?

SanDiegoSue

What time of year - Spring, Summer, Fall - is the best time to cruise the Danube to avoid low water levels? I've been reading the horror stories about having to be bussed, instead of enjoying a river cruise, with terrible, low levels this past Fall.

Sue

Be aware that high water levels are perhaps MORE disruptive than low water. Not only can boats not move because they can not get under the bridges, but some of the sights you came to see can be flooded.

Typically water is highest during spring snow melts. I have done a dozen river cruises starting as early as March and as late as November. I have only had ONE day of busing out of all those trips (April 2015, high water, Rhone). I think I've been lucky; often better to be lucky than smart:rolleyes:

Thom

thanks for the comments. I hadn't thought about the high river problems.

What are the best times to cruise? How about late May or early September? We like going to Europe during the shoulder season, but maybe we need to stick with June-July-Aigust...

Sue

thanks for the comments. I hadn't thought about the high river problems.

What are the best times to cruise? How about late May or early September? We like going to Europe during the shoulder season, but maybe we need to stick with June-July-Aigust...

I have had very good luck just considering price, average temperatures and crowds and not worrying much about water levels which are notoriously unpredictable. This definitely has lead me to shoulder season. Our one July cruise was with an inexpensive last minute deal, but it turned out to be in the middle of a heat wave, and walking was quite uncomfortable. I can give no guarantee, but my gut feel leans to May - comfortable temperatures, still some spring flowers, long days, and hopefully after most of the spring snow melt but still sufficient water for good sailing. If there is a warm rain on the glaciers that are feeding the rivers things can change rapidly, but that is a risk I'm willing to take. You hear a lot about things that have gone wrong (like low water last summer), but not nearly as much about people like me that in 12 river trips have missed one day of sailing. Travel is uncertain, expect the worst, hope for the best, and when you get lemons make lemonade.:)