Legend - Alaska - packing ?

familycruzer

Planning a cruise to Alaska the first week of May 2017.

Looking for advise on packing to be ready for any weather without over packing ( hitting some after Christmas sales) and what is evening attire like on board. Hoping to skip packing extra to dress up.

Your best bet for packing recommendations will be on the Alaska board. That being said, my two cents will be like many others who have traveled to Alaska: dress in layers. Make clothes serve more than one purpose. Cuddles duds, long t, turtle neck, thermal vest, wind pants can be your basics for most areas. A rain repellent/thermal jacket will cover the rest for cold weather. Don’t worry about evening attire; it’s more relaxed in Alaska, as your focus is to spend as much time outside as possible. A black turtle neck or T with black slacks and black slippers with various scarves/covers will do nicely for dinner. Add some bling and you will be fine for the dressier nights. I’ll be glad to follow-up with any other questions you may have. Love, love, love Alaska- but so many places… so little time… and, uh, yeah, the money.

Have fun planning and even more fun going!

Liz

Never cruised in Alaska but I did live there and work in the water. It can be 50!degrees or it could be 30 but remember the water temperature is on the cool , like the poster above dress in layers and dress to stay dry lots of rain and moisture. Have dun

Strokeset gave you the perfect answer. I found cuddle duds to be great under clothing. (thin but warm) I also learned that I could wear an item more than once. We traveled for 14 days and I got by with 3 pairs of jeans one pair of slacks, mix and match tops and scarves, a few pair of cuddle duds, a waterproof light jacket and one heavy jacket. I traveled in jeans and hiking boots with my heavy jacket. Everything else got pack in a large suitcase with plenty of room to spare for gifts to bring home. I did two loads of laundry on board (can't wear some things more than once, LOL). I was the lightest I have ever packed.

Coming from Buffalo NY we have layering pieces with cuddle duds and under armour. I have fleece lined leggings and warm thick socks. Evening was my biggest concern. I will watch for a few basic sweaters that can work in the evening with a scarf and during the day under a jacket or over a long sleeve top. I am not afraid to wear something more than once.

Never cruised in Alaska but I did live there and work in the water. It can be 50!degrees or it could be 30 but remember the water temperature is on the cool , like the poster above dress in layers and dress to stay dry lots of rain and moisture. Have dun

We took this trip last September, layers for sure. We ended up buying gloves and winter hats on the ship as we did not pack them.

It got pretty chilly up on deck taking photos. Enjoy your trip

In begining stages of picking an Alaska booking date - must be July to match family schedules early, or late July? And what type of footwear?

Tennis shoes, hiking, neoprene thermal boots? We have sailed Caribbean 14x which I can pack perfect for.

Any other hints like side of ship helpful. Sailing RT from Seattle. Took arm twisting to book for "cold" vs. Caribbean but any cruise is great as family wants to go there.

Open any info from clothing,footwear,side ship,excursions.

Booking balcony due to price. We usually sail in a suite but this time no 3rd passenger. Is a hot bath tub a desired thing?

Going to Alaska boards next but thought ship location,sides etc here might find answers

Edited by Buffettfan 225
Typo

We could not decide which side of the ship so took an aft. We also leave from Vancouver and end in Seattle so we get an extra bonus of the views leaving Vancouver traveling north.

The Alaska board with be a huge help with excursion ideas. I put our whole itinerary together using the help of the experts over there.

I bought a Columbia 3 in 1 jacket which will cover all I would need and think I will skip hiking boots. I will waterproof my leather sketchers and hope for the best but we are not hiking anywhere.

I am buying hot hands for my gloves. Small and easy to pack.

As others have suggested, layers is key! Even pack a pair or two of shorts. We had a few days where a sweatshirt and shorts we fine. As for footwear, depending on what you are doing, def sneakers or hiking boots. I also recommend you take a compact umbrella, a raincoat or water resistant jacket, as well as, a water resistant type baseball cap. Someone else told me about the baseball cap, which I found kinda weird. However, if it's raining or misty, even when you have your hoodie up, you face will still get a bit wet. If you have your cap on, then your hoodie, you're face stays dry--plus it helps when taking pictures.