Ok - am I just not "getting" it???

005flyer

So I get this great deal from a TA that does a lot of work with our company. It was for the repo cruise on the Dawn leaving from LAX on May 7. They advertised it as a 3 day cruise so I thought it would be a nice long weekend for myself and my wife.

Here is where I must not be "getting it":

If you are selling a 3 day cruise leaving May 7 (a Friday) doesn't that mean you get to your destination on May 9 (a Sunday)????

It turns out the cruise is actually 3 NIGHTS and you get in on May 10 (Monday). So, if it's 3 NIGHTS, doesn't that mean it has to be 4 days? I only bring it up because with the extra day we ended up not being able to go. I was about 30 seconds away from giving the Credit Card # and we all know what would have happened as soon as they booked it.

Thanks for letting me vent - hopefully I'm not crazy!

I know what you mean. I noticed the one day cruise from Seattle to Vancouver, I can't remember the date, but it leaves seattle at 5:00PM and Arrives in Vancouver the next day at 7:00AM. that's no day at all!

Violet

Diamond Princess 11/27/04

Given that most cruises depart in the PM and return in the AM, the way you define a "three day cruise" wouldn't even be 48 hours, less than two days.

I would have expected the cruise to be three nights.

It doesn't have to be 4 days, as the day you dock the cruise ends at, say 7 AM. If you look at longer cruises such as a 21 day cruise from the day you board to the day you leave is actually 22 days. You leave the ship on the 22 day, but since you are not on the ship past early morning it seems they do not count that day as a part of the cruise but they do count the day you board.

We are on the Diamond 3 day cruise to Vancouver from LA. Leave Sat, arrive Vancouver on Tues morning. That means the cruise is Sat, Sun, Mon and Tue is not counted as it is the day we leave the ship.

HOWEVER, when you look at your on-board folio, you will notice that you tip for every DAY. Now, the pax who are boarding also pay tips for that same day . . . ehhh . . . Double Dipping, Double Tipping?

A Smile is just a little curve that sets a lot of things Straight.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Princess Di,

If what you said were true, you would be charged for 8 days of tips for a 7-day cruise, but you are only charged for 7. Princess does not collect twice for turn-around day. As Bucky said above, just count the number of nights and it will be correct.

Jim

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;4;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Dawn Princess to W. Caribbean 10/4/04

Diamond Princess 2-Day Mexican Sampler 3/04

Star Princess to Alaska 7/03

Star Princess 3-Day Coastal 5/03

Sun Princess to Hawaii 1/03

Star Princess to Mexico 11/02

Sea Princess to Mexico 11/01

The day you board the ship is always day 0 (zero). The next full day is day 1.

All the best!

Jay & Karen Turner

Mount Hope, Ontario

Westerdam – 12/93

Statendam – 10/95

Zenith – 05/96

Westerdam – 05/97

Norway – 10/97

Westerdam – 10/98

Sun Princess – 10/99

Volendam – 10/00

Volendam – 10/01

Century – 10/02

Zuiderdam – 05/03

Caribbean Princess - 05/04

I always add one day to what they say ie 7 days is 8. Works for me. Plus I go one or two days early (from middle of Canada).

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

You do not tip on the last disembarkation day. I know for sure because I just came from a 15 day (night) cuise to Hawaii, and when checking my bill close to the end of the cruise, I asked the Purser's Desk that very question.

Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern, April 2001

Grand Princess, Western,April 2002

Regal to Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004

If you embark a cruise at noon on Sunday and disembark at 9am, that's just about 3 days/3 nights.

If you embark your cruise at noon on Friday 5/7 and disembark at 9am on Monday, that is 3 days. If you disembarked late Monday night, that might constitute 4 days. But noon Friday to noon Saturday is 1 day. Noon Saturday to noon Sunday is 2 days. Noon Sunday to 9am Monday is just under 3 days.

Pea

5/9 Golden Princess  countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;9;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

time98.gif

Always say what ever works for you go for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I still look at it as 3 nights means 4 days... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think I'll look at it that way when I figure the per day cost of a cruise! Now if only can convince DH.

Future cruises:

May 04 Amsterdam

Sept. 04 Star Princess x 2

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess

July 05 Star Princess

Aug. 05 Star Pincess

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess x 2

03 Grand,Sun,Tahitian,

Royal Princess x 2,Island Princess

01 Ryndam x 2

00 Sky Princess

79 Sitmar's Fairwind

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Well, glad to see that it is confusing for others as well. I still look at it as 3 nights means 4 days... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_rolleyes.gif

They'll have you off that ship so early on the "fourth" day it won't seem like one. Also, theoretically, you're not required to be on the ship until 30 minutes prior to sailing on the "first" day, so you're really not on for a full first day either.

-------------------------

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

That's why I like to get on the ship as soon as possible. Technically, it's the first day of your cruise, so you might as well get your money's worth.

Just completed:

Caribbean Princess Apr 3/04

Golden Princess Apr 10/04

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

We always board as early as possible to get that first day. It really isn't much different at a resort....check in is 3 pm and check out is 11 am.....Last cruise we boarded at 11 AM, spent 10 nights and left the shuip around 9 AM.

Golden Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;23;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Radiance of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;11;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The line is delivering an extra day - so either pay'em an extra 25-33-1/3% more fare - or put up and shut up; do tip well either way, icon_biggrin.gif

I take it this is your first cruise; enjoy, and if it was a "great deal" for three days - just imagine what it is for four. icon_wink.gif

Acyually, both my wife and I are Platinum. That being said, the fact that it was a longer cruise than I had originally though made the deal even better, but also ran into a business trip that I couldn't cancel - so that means we can't go at all! That's why I was bummin'...

To calculate the number of days. You take the number of days, less one night for each odd date that your on the ship.

Add another day if there's a Sunday night on the cruise, else take one off if there's not.

Now, take the number of days the cruise line "advertises" and divide that by 3 (rounded to an even number).

Take the 2 numbers you have, and of the 2, whichever is the greater, divide that by 2. If you then add the 2 numbers together.... your cruise will be over....

Sorry - I couldn't resist. God Bless and good night.

I want it to be as many days as possible. icon_smile.gif

Cruise line day/night counts sure beat land tour counts. Say you book a 9 day tour of the British Isles. This is actually 7 nights. The tour companies count day one your departure day (even though you fly at night and arrive the next day) and the day you go home is also counted as a day. If you do the Far East, a 14 day tour is actually 11 nights.

Been there, done that, lots and lots of times.

Cruise "counting" is better.

Arlene

quit picking on 005flyer...he's a buddy of mine! icon_smile.gif

Being a southern floridian, I know all about those (3 day cruises) they leave out of the Port of Miami at 5 pm Friday and come back 7 am Monday morning. I can make those weekend-ers since I can just hop off the ship and be at work by 9 icon_smile.gif

Say hi to Cindy for me!

Sorry you can't go on this trip!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;7;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 until the Caribbean Princess!

Sovereign of the Seas 8/98

Premier Seabreeze 4/99

Norwegian Wind 4/00

Norwegian Majesty 4/01

Holland America Volendam 11/01

Grand Princess 4/02

Carnival Fascination 5/02

Costa Atlantica 11/02

Golden Princess 3/03

Explorer of the Seas 7/03

Sun Princess 11/03

Caribbean Princess 07/04