NCL Breakaway 11/27/16

themixedone86

We're sort of in the same boat. Most of us have been to most of the islands so we tend to shy away from "tours" or stuff like that. I think we'll probably do a catamaran sail somewhere - those are fun. Otherwise it's probably just finding a nice beach somewhere and vegetating!

Some people are saying that Martinique is crappy - have you been? That's one island we have never been to.

Danny

In Tortola I want to go to the vigil baths that suppose to be amazing. I've never been to Martinique I need to do some research on it. Do you book excursions thru the cruise?

When we do excursions we typically do them through the cruise. I have been told that there really isn't any advantage of doing it that way (and it's sometimes more expensive) but I feel like I would have more recourse if there was a delay getting back to the ship or some other problem.

The baths sound good though I have read on here that it can be very crowded.

Hey Guys,

I'm back from my holiday although this is a new roll call thread. There was one from before! LOL... trying to keep me on my toes?

Anyway, I'm sailing with my mom this voyage. It's the first time she's been to sea in over two years. I tend to go a bit more frequently. There's a new port of Martinique that I've never been to. I've been to the rest. Since I've been to some of these ports numerous times I will go off on my own and do my own thing probably. Some of the less frequented ports I will likely do a NCL shore excursion (have that perk as part of the offers recently). :)

I'm definitely down for a beach at a few of the more frequented island stops. I can't speak for mom though. She likes to do adventure and exploring stuff. I much prefer a leisurely holiday!

So hello boys! :)

Hey Guys,

I'm back from my holiday although this is a new roll call thread. There was one from before! LOL... trying to keep me on my toes?

Anyway, I'm sailing with my mom this voyage. It's the first time she's been to sea in over two years. I tend to go a bit more frequently. There's a new port of Martinique that I've never been to. I've been to the rest. Since I've been to some of these ports numerous times I will go off on my own and do my own thing probably. Some of the less frequented ports I will likely do a NCL shore excursion (have that perk as part of the offers recently). :)

I'm definitely down for a beach at a few of the more frequented island stops. I can't speak for mom though. She likes to do adventure and exploring stuff. I much prefer a leisurely holiday!

So hello boys! :)

Yea I like to keep you on your tip toes, that's awesome your mom is coming I'm right there with her love an adventure there's plenty of leisure time on the cruise once we hit land I'm running around haha.

Martinique is the only place I haven't been and Tortola I want to go to the virgin baths

Yea I like to keep you on your tip toes, that's awesome your mom is coming I'm right there with her love an adventure there's plenty of leisure time on the cruise once we hit land I'm running around haha.

Martinique is the only place I haven't been and Tortola I want to go to the virgin baths

The Baths at Virgin Gorda are pretty. I've done them and they're well worth it. You can go into the rock formations but just wear shoes you want to throw away or water shoes for sure. The rocks are jagged in there so going barefoot is really not recommended.

I was talking to a friend who said Martinique is very unique in that the place runs on Euros and also not overly tourist friendly. I guess I'll be doing an NCL excursion for sure at that port then! Settles that... now for NCL to get the excursions listed so I know what's available. This is a post-Thanksgiving cruise and it seems like a lot of GLBT do sail during that time. On the Epic cruise I did last year, there was a huge showing of GLBT. I was quite surprised by it!!

Now if only this snow would go away. :D

The Baths at Virgin Gorda are pretty. I've done them and they're well worth it. You can go into the rock formations but just wear shoes you want to throw away or water shoes for sure. The rocks are jagged in there so going barefoot is really not recommended.

I was talking to a friend who said Martinique is very unique in that the place runs on Euros and also not overly tourist friendly. I guess I'll be doing an NCL excursion for sure at that port then! Settles that... now for NCL to get the excursions listed so I know what's available. This is a post-Thanksgiving cruise and it seems like a lot of GLBT do sail during that time. On the Epic cruise I did last year, there was a huge showing of GLBT. I was quite surprised by it!!

Now if only this snow would go away. :D

I have water shoes, I went into a cave one time yea that'll never happen again haha, I'm probably going to book an excursion for Martinique but no idea if it'll be thru Ncl or take a taxi cab your

Hey guys - my partner and I will be on this cruise, along with my brother and sister-in-law. We are looking forward to this cruise already. Will meet up at Friends of Dorothy, but look me up online...

Welcome, it's going to be a blast, i was getting off the gem on the 13th of December we missed eachother

Woohoo! The group is growing! I suspect it'll get larger too! Welcome ClubMichael! :)

I'm done with this snow already! It's only 9 more months until the cruise! :(

On a brighter note... at least we're not on the Anthem of the Seas right now. Holy cow... what a way to test a new ship.

Welcome ClubMichael!

So now of course with the Anthem drama - which I have been watching unfold since last night - any concerns about sailing out of NYC late Nov? I have before years ago, and we had some weather, but nothing like this!

Welcome ClubMichael!

So now of course with the Anthem drama - which I have been watching unfold since last night - any concerns about sailing out of NYC late Nov? I have before years ago, and we had some weather, but nothing like this!

I sailed out of NYC on New Years in 2011 and when we returned to NYC there was a snowstorm which blanketed NYC and was still in New England when the ship returned. We sailed through it on the day and night of the cruise. The winds were high and the ship did have a list to it but nothing as dramatic as what the Anthem experienced. There was also snow on the pool deck when we arrived into NYC and it was also on the balcony. Storms will happen and the ships will sail through them if they're not extreme. Rough seas are fun, however, the rough seas the Captain of Anthem sailed into borders on negligence. If not done right, the ship could have capsized in the waves and high winds. I've never sailed through a storm as ferocious as that and I've done some hurricane sailing and had many a rough seas. The Breakaway's Trans-Atlantic crossing was quite the adventure as well. We had to re-route to avoid a storm and go faster to get to NYC faster.

We'll be fine though! I have full confidence! :)

I sailed out of NYC on New Years in 2011 and when we returned to NYC there was a snowstorm which blanketed NYC and was still in New England when the ship returned. We sailed through it on the day and night of the cruise. The winds were high and the ship did have a list to it but nothing as dramatic as what the Anthem experienced. There was also snow on the pool deck when we arrived into NYC and it was also on the balcony. Storms will happen and the ships will sail through them if they're not extreme. Rough seas are fun, however, the rough seas the Captain of Anthem sailed into borders on negligence. If not done right, the ship could have capsized in the waves and high winds. I've never sailed through a storm as ferocious as that and I've done some hurricane sailing and had many a rough seas. The Breakaway's Trans-Atlantic crossing was quite the adventure as well. We had to re-route to avoid a storm and go faster to get to NYC faster.

We'll be fine though! I have full confidence! :)

Couldn't agree with you more

Now I just have to figure out what to do with my time while I'm waiting for this cruise! I've never booked one this far in advance - and I'm not sure I can wait this long! :)

I'm with you... I'm not sure I can wait that long either. A friend who is also on this sailing is the one who gets me to book far in advance. I normally go for the last minute price drops and take off. Thankfully I have an employment situation which permits that when I want to sail generally. :)

With a ship out of Boston to Bermuda in the summer it makes it very easy to take off if the pricing drops. More ships have been sailing out of Boston or attempting to recently but to go south they have to go around Cape Cod which takes longer and more fuel. :cool:

Where would you sail to?

I'm with you... I'm not sure I can wait that long either. A friend who is also on this sailing is the one who gets me to book far in advance. I normally go for the last minute price drops and take off. Thankfully I have an employment situation which permits that when I want to sail generally. :)

With a ship out of Boston to Bermuda in the summer it makes it very easy to take off if the pricing drops. More ships have been sailing out of Boston or attempting to recently but to go south they have to go around Cape Cod which takes longer and more fuel. :cool:

Where would you sail to?

We typically do Caribbean cruises. Living in Seattle we're always wanting to get to warmer weather! We did one transatlantic which was a blast - we may do that again. Mediterranean has always been a goal but I'm nervous about that part of the world. South Pacific too but they are usually too expensive (at least the airfare part).