Nice Hotel in Hollywood close to sights and restaurants

RAIDERMOM

Can someone suggest a few hotels in the Hollywood area. Will be flying in one day early for my west coast cruise and want to get some sights in, walk of fame, maybe a studio tour, tour of stars home.....want to be able to walk to restaurant....can you also tell me how long it will take to get from Hollywood to the Princess pier in Long Beach

the

Thank You!!!

Can someone suggest a few hotels in the Hollywood area. Will be flying in one day early for my west coast cruise and want to get some sights in, walk of fame, maybe a studio tour, tour of stars home.....want to be able to walk to restaurant....can you also tell me how long it will take to get from Hollywood to the Princess pier in Long Beach

the

Thank You!!!

Princess doesn't use the Port of Long Beach for starting or ending cruises unless there's a major log jam in San Pedro. The one berth there is for Carnival. Sometimes on coastal cruises, Princess may use Long Beach for a day's stop.

Cruise lines other than Carnival uses the World Cruise Center at the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro.

the

Thank You!!!

Okay, where to start?

Do you REALLY want to stay in Hollywood?

Hollywood does have the Walk of Stars, Grauman's Chinese Theater and a few odd tourist sites--like the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum...But, the studio tours aren't really in Hollywood...Universal is just across the Cahuenga Pass in Universal City...Warner Bros. is in Burbank...as is NBC...Sony is in Culver City...Paramount IS in Hollywood--on Melrose--maybe about the only one actually in Hollywood proper...

Hollywood also can be a bit run down...a lot of very interesting types wandering those streets at night...

OTOH, you can get up to Burbank or Universal from there within reasonable distance...BUT, you can also get over to Hollywood from some other areas...

IF you want to stay IN Hollywood, there are really only two hotels that would make my "A" List:

1) Loews Hollywood Hotel...This one is right in the Hollywood and Highland Complex--which also houses the Chinese Theater and the Dolby Theater...the most popular section of the Walk of Stars is right out front...and the complex has a number of restaurants.

https://www.loewshotels.com/hollywood-hotel/?&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Hollywood%20Brand%20-%20Exact&utm_content=Hollywood%20|%20Name&utm_keyword=loews%20hollywood&cid=cpc_google_Brand_Hollywood%20Brand%20-%20Exact_trvlclk

2) The Hollywood Roosevelt...This is virtually across Hollywood Boulevard from #1...It's the "Grande Dame of Hollywood hotels...a stately old hotel that's been around since the early days of Hollywood...

http://www.thehollywoodroosevelt.com/

Aside from those two, I would not venture far from the immediate area...

The Magic Castle, a private club for magicians, has a hotel just a few blocks from Hollywood and Highland...

http://magiccastlehotel.com/hotel-experience

I'd call and ask if you get passes to the club with your stay there...

There are also a Hilton Garden Inn and a Holiday Inn Express just up Highland a few blocks from Hollywood Blvd. which MAY be okay...but it can be a wild walk from there down to Hollywood Blvd.

There are two directions one might wish to go from Hollywood proper...

Universal City is to the North--across Cahuenga Pass...and there are two hotels on the Universal property--a Hilton and a Sheraton...Both are nice...and close to restaurants at the Universal CityWalk--an attraction also on the property...but a little bit off on their own...But, you can take the Metro from there down to Hollywood and Highland...and you are a little closer to Burbank...Just off the property is the Beverly Garland Hotel...

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hilton-los-angeles-universal-city-BURUCHF/index.html

http://www.sheratonuniversal.com/

thegarland.com

A fun, one (or two) of a kind restaurant in the Universal area is Miceli's...Singing waiters and all...Call about what time the show goes on and make reservations:

http://www.micelisrestaurant.com/

The other direction to go is into West Hollywood...Andaz, BW Sunset Plaza, the Chateau Marmont (where John Belushi died) and others...You'd be near the music and comedy venues on the Sunset Strip...and a short taxi or Uber ride from Hollywood proper and a little further from Universal and Burbank...

Beware of any hotels that appear to be "bargains" in Hollywood...You may find out that those places are also home to many of those strange street people you see out on the Boulevard...

Oh, from Hollywood and Highland to the World Cruise Center in San Pedro, it's about 30-36 miles, depending on route taken...and, depending on time of day and traffic, it could take anywhere from about 45 minutes to ??? I'd figure on an hour to an hour and a quarter in normal conditions, add a little if during rush hour...

Oh, yeah...the "stars", for the most part, don't live in Hollywood...A few still live up in the Hollywood Hills...and several in Beverly Hills, Bel Air, etc....but now, a lot of them line clear out in Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Calabasas (my neighborhood) and other places far from Hollywood... The folks who do the tours to stars' homes or maps of stars' homes are generally directing you to a lot of homes stars ONCE lived in...

Hope this helps...

Edited by Bruin Steve

The two important things are 1) what is your budget and 2) will you have a rental car.

On #2 (will you have a rental car), if the answer is no then Hollywood is the most logical place to stay, even if it isn't the nicest.

It is where the tours of LA and Hollywood start, it is where the Walk of Fame is, it is where the Hop On Hop Off bus starts, it has the subway for access to Universal Studios, it a short cab (Uber) ride from Warner Bros Studios and has a lot of restaurants to walk to.

On #2 (will you have a rental car), if the answer is yes then Hollywood is not the place I would stay, I'd be staying in West Hollywood or around the Beverly Center.

We are looking to stay at the Andaz using our Hyatt points.Is it a safe neighborhood and are there nice restaurants near by,do I need a car or use uber to go to Universal studios or other attractions?

We are looking to stay at the Andaz using our Hyatt points.Is it a safe neighborhood and are there nice restaurants near by,do I need a car or use uber to go to Universal studios or other attractions?

The Andaz is in a very nice area, vary safe, but very busy.

Yes, you would need Uber to go anyplace and do anything like Universal and the other attractions, but lots of good dining and nightlife as you are on the famous Sunset Strip.

If I was getting the room for free I would rent a car. it would be cheaper in the long run than using Uber to do everything.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZdSaDhyMgV42