MS Midnatsol - temperature

Oldgables

How warm is the dining room on Midnatsol - do I wear short sleeves or will I need a jumper?

Also, do you take your outdoor clothes with you to the dining room in the evening in case you get the call for the Northern Lights?

We're on the Midnatsol on 2nd March and have decided on our outdoor clothes but are confused. Should we wear our warm clothes in the lounge during the day ready to go on deck for the next port of call? Perhaps there are hangers or lockers to put outdoor clothes in?

Thanks for your help and advice.

The dining room on Midnatsol, like the rest of the ship, is quite warm. Jumper, or not, will come down to personal preference as your 'warm' and anyone else's 'warm' may well be different!

In terms of having clothing ready for the northern lights and ports of call, there's no real need to have them with you in the lounge or dining room. There is plenty of warning of arrival at the next port and you will probably find that the lights are not out during dinner. Even if they were, you would have time to get something warm.

Having said that, I usually found myself on deck whenever I could so, during my brief visits inside on the less scenic stretches, I would keep my warm jacket, gloves and hat with me in the lounge.

We were on Midnatsol in October. I wore my indoor clothing to the dining room and was quite comfortable. I did the same in the lounge, although I usually had another layer with me, most often carrying it in a light cloth tote along with my book, water bottle, small pocket size camera, etc. I often would want to go out on deck for a few minutes and it was a bit too chilly with just my indoor clothes.

Have a grand experience! m--

We were on Midnatsol in October. I wore my indoor clothing to the dining room and was quite comfortable. I did the same in the lounge, although I usually had another layer with me, most often carrying it in a light cloth tote along with my book, water bottle, small pocket size camera, etc. I often would want to go out on deck for a few minutes and it was a bit too chilly with just my indoor clothes.

Have a grand experience! m--

I was on her in November and agree. I was fine in outdoor clothes (removing stuff like jackets) and fine w indoor clothes. I tend to be cold though and almost always have a hoodie.

Good question oldgables! I was wondering that myself!

Now I'm wondering how difficult it will be to find seats in the panoramic lounge? Do I have to get up early and put a a few things on a chair to hold it? I have a window in my cabin, but I plan on spending a lot of time in the lounge. Are there other areas on the ships to view the scenery?

Also from the brochures, there doesn't appear to be much outdoor seating. Is that the case, are there any blankets available to toss over your legs????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were plenty of chairs in the panoramic lounge. Seat saving isn't a thing outside of the Caribbean. There are also plenty of outside chairs available but they are usually stacked. And we just dresses in layers to go outside. It was fine.

There are many different lounges on the ship. The panorama lounge has a great view, but I'd be surprised if it is full, and I'd be surprised you didn't find a spot near a window somewhere on the ship. Seat saving is not very well considered.

I recall that on Midnatsol there were lounges that had side views, port or starboard plus the eating area for the café had side windows. Our voyage was not very full in late October but the Panorama lounge was mostly empty.

Outside I recall there being some lounge chairs on the large aft deck. We sat out there viewing our exit from a fjord. On the aft near the ship's ventilator's exhaust it was much warmer and very good spot for waiting for the Northern lights to improve.

I don't recall any blankets. Our beds had duvets but maybe there were extra blankets in closet in the room? There were towels for the rooms if you just want something to throw over your legs. Others may remember better. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

Do I have to get up early and put a a few things on a chair to hold it?

If you did, I would expect (hope) that they would be removed.

Someone who is not in the lounge, depriving someone who is in the lounge, of somewhere to sit is not acceptable.

If you did, I would expect (hope) that they would be removed.

Someone who is not in the lounge, depriving someone who is in the lounge, of somewhere to sit is not acceptable.

Absolutely right, but I believe I read in one of these threads that was a common practice!!!

Nor I, ever! Just not done on the Coastal Voyages.

I knew I had seen somethings! Almost thought I'd imagined it! This must have been a review I read some time ago:

"The one cause for dissension on board appears to be in the “saving of seats” arena. The lounge has a row of seats that face the window, and a variety of other seats spread around. At time, people seem anxious for a window seat. So much so that that – like a high school lunch table – they save seats for their buddies. So how long is it polite to have a coat save a seat when others would like to sit down. Ten minutes? Half a hour? Two hours? In my opinion – saving someone’s seat that they can run to the washroom is fine. Two hours is rude".

This is the entire post

https://realhousewifeadventures.wordpress.com/2014/08/12/hurtigruten-cruise-day-5-tromso-and-saving-seats/

I traveled alone on the MS Trollfjord. I never had a problem finding a seat in the Vista Lounge, but if I was just running out on deck to take a photo or see something along side (such as another ship or a special lighthouse), I did briefly leave a scarf or something in my seat to save it. I would never do this for longer than a few minutes though.