Princess or Carnival

Love#13

It really depends on what you're looking for.

Princess is more elegant, has much better food, and may include some enrichment activities during the day (i.e. art history lectures, photography classes, location presentations, etc...) as well as entertainment in the evenings.

Overall I think the quality of Carnival isn't as high as Princess. But the atmosphere aboard has much more energy, especially in the evenings, and it can be a lot of fun!

I am really tired of people saying all the Carnival people do is drink. I rarely drink while my husband drinks no alcohol.

We are on the same boat (no pun intended) as you. My wife doesn't drink and I can count on one hand the number of alcoholic drinks that I consume in a weeklong cruise. Yet, we've "somehow" managed to enjoy our time on Carnival cruises.

While saying that "ALL that Carnival passengers do is drink" is obviously an inaccurate generalization, I do believe that Carnival's daily activities do incite more drinking than other cruise lines. Nothing wrong with that; it's just part of the fun, laid back atmosphere that Carnival is known for. From bartending competitions, hairy chest contests, alcohol tasting, to the constant push for daily drink specials, all seem to point in that direction.

One big difference that we've found between Carnival and Princess (as well as other cruise lines that we've sailed on) is the focus of their daily activities. As someone mentioned above, Princess offers lectures, guest speakers, demonstrations, daytime theater performances, piazza entertainment, culturally enriching presentations, workshops, etc, so you're bound to find more activities that stimulate your brain intellectually than with alcohol. Can you still get drunk on a Princess cruise? Absolutely! But for those who would prefer to spend their vacation time somewhere else besides the bar, Princess and other cruise lines seem to offer a bit more variety. On Carnival, about the only thing that has some enrichment value is the wine tasting, and once again, it involves alcohol.

As mentioned above, I've enjoyed my past Carnival cruises tremendously, even when I'm not drinking much, but I will admit that there are times when I've found myself pacing around the ship looking for something stimulating to do. Like you, I'm pretty good at creating my own kind of fun. But for those times when I do want something more, I find Carnival activities a bit lacking unless there's drinking involved.

Edited by Tapi

We are on the same boat (no pun intended) as you. My wife doesn't drink and I can count on one hand the number of alcoholic drinks that I consume in a weeklong cruise. Yet, we've "somehow" managed to enjoy our time on Carnival cruises.

While saying that "ALL that Carnival passengers do is drink" is obviously an inaccurate generalization, I do believe that Carnival's daily activities do incite more drinking than other cruise lines. Nothing wrong with that; it's just part of the fun, laid back atmosphere that Carnival is known for. From bartending competitions, hairy chest contests, alcohol tasting, to the constant push for daily drink specials, all seem to point in that direction.

One big difference that we've found between Carnival and Princess (as well as other cruise lines that we've sailed on) is the focus of their daily activities. As someone mentioned above, Princess offers lectures, guest speakers, demonstrations, daytime theater performances, piazza entertainment, culturally enriching presentations, workshops, etc, so you're bound to find more activities that stimulate your brain intellectually than with alcohol. Can you still get drunk on a Princess cruise? Absolutely! But for those who would prefer to spend their vacation time somewhere else besides the bar, Princess and other cruise lines seem to offer a bit more variety. On Carnival, about the only thing that has some enrichment value is the wine tasting, and once again, it involves alcohol.

As mentioned above, I've enjoyed my past Carnival cruises tremendously, even when I'm not drinking much, but I will admit that there are times when I've found myself pacing around the ship looking for something stimulating to do. Like you, I'm pretty good at creating my own kind of fun. But for those times when I do want something more, I find Carnival activities a bit lacking unless there's drinking involved.

like. The only thing resembling stimulating without alcohol is trivia but it is amazing how often the same questions are repeated.

Debjo from what you describe, Princess's quieter atmosphere would be well suited for your typical sea day. I don't think I said Carnival is all about getting hammered but I've seen my share on both lines. I called the ones on Princess, professional drunks. Lawyers, doctors, CEOs, executive types that drink all day and are smooth about it. We met one gentleman that never was without his water bottle. Except his water bottle was filled with Gin. So I'll see in April when we are back on Carnival all the changes in the past 4 years. I'm going in with low expectations and ready for that "brilliant" trip. And if not, Princess Panama Canal is waiting for us in October and that's a guarantee.

None of us are drinkers and in fact one is a recovering achoholic. Last time we were on Princess was 2009- we would get up and eat get off the boat if we docked that day and then we would get back we took a shower and went to watch the Movie under the Stars which I love!!..My Mom and her boyfriend are coming with my Husband & I and they are first time cruisers who work very hard and will struggle a little to pay for this trip so I hope I made the right choice so they have an amazing trip...

None of us are drinkers and in fact one is a recovering achoholic.

...I hope I made the right choice so they have an amazing trip...

For the recovering alcoholic in your group, keep in mind that there will be "Friends of Bill W" meetings throughout the week for guests who are in recovery.

Don't doubt yourself about making the right choice. Everybody will have a great time!

Princess, Princess, Princess.....unless you plan to stay drunk, join the hairy chest contest and eat burgers for 6 days.....then go with Carnival....just very different experiences.

If you like Princess better, that's fine but don't give over generalizations as fact. I have been on 5 Carnival cruises and have never done any of the things in your list. I have had a fun time on every one of them.

If you like Princess better, that's fine but don't give over generalizations as fact. I have been on 5 Carnival cruises and have never done any of the things in your list. I have had a fun time on every one of them.

You don't do the things mentioned but they are MUCH more frequent on Carnival vs. Princess. I have fun on both cruise lines, but if you are not into these generalizations choose Princess.

It really depends on the ship. Found a good deal on a California Coastal but it was on the Crown Princess. That ship's almost always under Noro watch.

The Princess cabin will be smaller with no sofa. Food is subjective. We prefer Carnival's MDR and Princess's buffet. Have to pay for the hot chocolate on Princess.

Entertainment is has its highs and lows on both lines. The fastest karaoke song we've heard on Princess has been 'My Way'.

Princess has a habit of upgrading with little notification. Sometimes it's good, other times not so good.

Look on the Princess board for a link to a website that shows how obstructed the cabin is. Some are fully and others have only a wire in a corner.

I agree with your post. We went on a 5 day out of FLL on Ruby Princess during Spring Break time....I didn't see any Spring Breakers but I did see a ton of Snow Birds and groups from FL retirement villages. Just wasn't our cup of tea yet. Definitely agree with the food, service wasn't as good as we've gotten on CCL, and I didn't like the smaller rooms or how the balconies were laid out where we looked down on the balconies below us...no privacy.

I agree with your post. We went on a 5 day out of FLL on Ruby Princess during Spring Break time....I didn't see any Spring Breakers but I did see a ton of Snow Birds and groups from FL retirement villages. Just wasn't our cup of tea yet. Definitely agree with the food, service wasn't as good as we've gotten on CCL, and I didn't like the smaller rooms or how the balconies were laid out where we looked down on the balconies below us...no

My Husband and I are 37 & 38 My Mom and her boyfriend are 58 & 52 but none of us are big into the bar thing so hopefully the older crowd isn't an issue...I think after this one I will have to convince them to go on Carnival and see what they think...I'm just happy to have the decision made-- Now I just have to suffer til December....

I am platinum on Carnival and only sailed on Princess once on a 3 day cruise. I took a break from Carnival from Dec 2012 until last November and a lot has changed on Carnival that I'm not impressed with. I have mostly sailed RCI since my break on Carnival but I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Princess if the price were comparable. It usually isn't though.

Some are saying the food is far superior on Princess. Food is subjective. Prior to 2012, I would completely disagree with the far superior comment however, given my last cruise on CCL, the dining experience has drastically gone downhill. No table cloths in the MDR, plates sliding all over the table as the ship swayed, menu changed to some pretty undesirable things like ox tongue and frog legs. Sorry but my palate just isn't ready for that. They stopped serving lobster on 5 night & shorter cruises and when I decided to upsell and have surf & turf brought to me from the steakhouse, it was the smallest lobster I have ever seen and their steak wasn't cooked correctly. They took away my plate to reorder my food but I sat at the table while everyone else ate waiting for them to bring me my entrée. When it came, everyone else was on dessert. This was a cruise with several of my friends and made a negative impression on them & their desire to cruise on Carnival again. In fact, friends that have only been on 2 cruises, a 5 day on Carnival and a 3 day on Princess, they said they had more fun on Princess and thought it was much classier and want to go back. The shrimp in Carnival shrimp cocktail were very small and pathetic.

As for the drunk comments, if you are on a 3 or 4 day weekend cruise, yes they can be considered booze cruises. On a 7 day cruise, not likely any significant difference between any of the cruiselines to drunk or rowdiness.

My November cruise on Carnival wasn't really very good and probably my worst cruise of all. Does that mean I won't cruise on Carnival again? No, I will still cruise on Carnival. But it may go from a cruise where I'm served in the dining room to eating dinner every night at the other dining options like Guys Burgers, buffet or the burrito bar.

Also, karaoke on Carnival has gone downhill too. That used to be the most fun but they changed their system and now have no song selection worthy of being considered a good venue. I am a karaoke junkie and my last cruise on Carnival I only went to karaoke twice and didn't stay the whole time.

I agree with your post. We went on a 5 day out of FLL on Ruby Princess during Spring Break time....I didn't see any Spring Breakers but I did see a ton of Snow Birds and groups from FL retirement villages. Just wasn't our cup of tea yet. Definitely agree with the food, service wasn't as good as we've gotten on CCL, and I didn't like the smaller rooms or how the balconies were laid out where we looked down on the balconies below us...no

My Husband and I are 37 & 38 My Mom and her boyfriend are 58 & 52 but none of us are big into the bar thing so hopefully the older crowd isn't an issue...I think after this one I will have to convince them to go on Carnival and see what they think...I'm just happy to have the decision made-- Now I just have to suffer til December....

LOL. We were 47 on our Princess cruise and not into the bar thing either. The older crowd wasn't really an "issue" it just wasn't our scene yet. We kind of felt out of place. The productions shows were good though. Anyway have fun on your cruise. You never know if you would like it yourself until you try it.

To put it in perspective our 2nd NCL Jewel cruise was filled with mainly couples our age. Since it was our 25th anniversary cruise with just the 2 of us we felt like we fit right in with the demographics. We may not have felt that way if we had taken the kids with us since there were hardly any teens on board. Many of our cruises were family cruises and the ships we sailed were filled with a lot of families so again we felt like we fit right in. We just didn't expect such an older demographic on the Princess ship at that time of year on a shorter cruise and we felt out of place. We could only listen to "My Way" so many times.

Edited by Warm Breezes

April I turn 60. The wife, well she seems stuck on 29. We aren't different than most folks. Crazy schedules and get to unwind around 8pm nightly. The wife works in Oncology and daily high stress. When we vacation it is for serious decompression time. Carnival seems to have many public announcements and everything is hyped. Princess is maybe 3 a day with one being the noon Captains update. I think folks that like Carnival are still geared for frenzy or that's missing in their daily lifes. We'll take a bottle of wine, our balcony, no announcements and the ocean passing by. Then could be midnight and nice stroll around the ship. It's all relative.

April I turn 60. The wife, well she seems stuck on 29. We aren't different than most folks. Crazy schedules and get to unwind around 8pm nightly. The wife works in Oncology and daily high stress. When we vacation it is for serious decompression time. Carnival seems to have many public announcements and everything is hyped. Princess is maybe 3 a day with one being the noon Captains update. I think folks that like Carnival are still geared for frenzy or that's missing in their daily lifes. We'll take a bottle of wine, our balcony, no announcements and the ocean passing by. Then could be midnight and nice stroll around the ship. It's all relative.

That was another one of our problems. I could not get comfortable in the chairs they had on our balcony and couldn't sit out there for more than 5-10 minutes without getting sore and cramped. Plus there was no privacy looking down on other peoples balconies. On Carnival's balconies I could sit out there for hours, not see another soul, and many times fell asleep in their chairs since they were so comfortable. I loved it. It was my reason for getting a balcony. I felt like that extra money for a balcony was wasted on Princess. There were things we like on Princes but over all it just seemed more geared towards an older generation that was not us...yet.

Edited by Warm Breezes