Need help deciding between Sunshine NYC, Magic Orlando or Fascination San Juan

steel123

Hi Everyone,

We're a couple going without kids, and I'm trying to decide between 4 cruises during August.

Sunshine NYC-San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk OR Grand Turk, Nassau, HMC

Magic - Western Caribbean

Fascination - a Southern Caribbean

I can drive to NYC, but I've already been on the ship and to the ports. I would have to fly to Orlando or San Juan, but both would give me new ships and a new port or two.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!

Thanks Capo Captain!

I've always wanted to do the southern itinerary- I wanted to go there 10 years ago when the "old" Destiny was doing that route, but flying to San Juan has discouraged me. I'm going to have to reconsider! Do you fly in early, or book airfare through carnival?

The Southern itinerary is good, but if I were flying all the way to San Juan, I would take a better ship than the Fascination. I took it several years ago from Jacksonville, and it was okay, but no bells and whistles.

Thanks Capo Captain!

I've always wanted to do the southern itinerary- I wanted to go there 10 years ago when the "old" Destiny was doing that route, but flying to San Juan has discouraged me. I'm going to have to reconsider! Do you fly in early, or book airfare through carnival?

We usually fly down on a Friday morning for a Sunday sailing. I would recommend going even earlier if you have the time available. San Juan/Isla Verde is a great place to spend a few days pre or post cruise. No, I book airfare separate. It's a port-intensive cruise with some great ports. And the price for me was cheaper than most other cruises (but more when you calculate airfare, but not that much more).

Ship don't matter on this itinerary, IMO. Like I said, it is port-intensive, so you are not on the ship that often, and don't worry about that 2.0 garbage. We were on the Valor in January 2015 which does not have the 2.0 upgrades and did not miss them at all.

Edited by Capo Capitan

Thanks Kayjo. The older model and smaller size of the Fascination has made my decision more difficult, since I have been on a few fantasy class ships. I was surprised the smaller ship is doing that itinerary now, and they seem to be filling up. I appreciate your opinion, too! It's very helpful! Any thoughts are appreciate!

Capo Captain, thanks for the details on getting to San Juan and what to do there! I wasn't sure of the best way! I've been most comfortable flying to Orlando in the past, but I'm thinking of getting the courage to fly to San Juan so I can finally see those ports...and try a different ship. I agree, the 2.0 probably wouldn't be a problem for me either! I appreciate your experience with this. I'm just starting to cruise again after a few years!